How to autoembed via new media upload?

Looking for a plugin or solution (which may exist but I have not found), that allows users who upload PDF files, powerpoints, word docs, images to autoembed (not just include). I know there are plugins to do this, but I am wondering if there could be a way to embed this into the media uploader (example via a checkmark). Thus instead of simply seeing a link, we see the document we included. I currently run this using Google Docs Uploader, but I am wondering if someone knows of a plugin or code to allow this to happen in a simpler way.
Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings marcdubeau,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

I think I may have a solution for you - have you tried the Status plugin?

That could definitely do the job for you depending on the media - I would love to hear how it goes if you try it out?

Thanks again for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• marcdubeau
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for the reply.
    This indeed does accomplish what I am looking for to some degree, but I am wondering can you tell me what hook and or code it uses to allow auto publishing of media? I would like to customize my site to duplicate the embed feature found in status, but use this in the regular post and page screens.

Feature Request: Allow users to select what category they want to publish to. Currently, you can only set it one way and it cannot be easily changed.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings marcdubeau,

I am wondering can you tell me what hook and or code it uses to allow auto publishing of media?

This I will have to consult the developer of the Status plugin for the answer - I will flag him in here so that we can get his input/advice though this may take a little more time then a normal ticket.

In addition, I will bring your feature request to his attention too.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

I am sorry for the delayed response (I was certain I replied to the thread, but obviously that never happened - sorry again for that). To add quick status front end posting to your templates, you can edit your template and use the template tag that comes with the plugin, for an example like this:

if (function_exists('wdqs_quick_status')) wdqs_quick_status();

Also, if sharing documents on Scribd works for you usage scenario, you can actually embed pretty much any document format supported by Scribd with Status (and BuddyPress Activity Plus). To do so, just paste the full Scribd URL to your document in the sharing field - the oEmbed mechanism normally used for sharing videos will pick up the document, and show it in an embedded reader.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings marcdubeau,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.