How to backup and create a copy of a multisite.

Hi,
I have my multisite which is soon to go live and I would like to create a local copy for future testing. I also want to make sure I am doing the right thing with backups.

I have Xamp ready to go locally but I'm not sure how to copy the multisite.

Snapshot only backs up the main site so what should I do if I would like to back up all the subsites as well? If I do use snapshot to backup just the main site does that work fine in a multisite situation.

Thanks,
Nat.

• Natalie
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks.
    So I need to back up the main site and each subsite separately and if something goes horribly wrong with the whole thing, I will have to fix up the main first and then each subsite?

I can set up WP on Xamp but if I want to make a copy of my live site would I set it up and then import a Snapshot of my main live site?

Nat.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Natalie

I hope you are well today.

So I need to back up the main site and each subsite separately and if something goes horribly wrong with the whole thing, I will have to fix up the main first and then each subsite?

Yes, you have to backup each site separately. And when you will import a site, you will test instantly if the import is successful. So, if anything goes wrong you will know instantly. Once you import everything successfully, it's not recommend to test anything in live site. As you have a backup site as development site, so do your testing in there, finalize a solution and apply in the live site. So less change to break :slight_smile:

I can set up WP on Xamp but if I want to make a copy of my live site would I set it up and then import a Snapshot of my main live site?

Yes, you have to setup a multisite first, then you need to import the backed up snapshot.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Natalie

Hi,
    I have Snapshot network activated but it isn't showing up on the subsites dashboard. It only shows up at the Network Admin dashboard. So this means the backup for each site is done from there? Which is good for me.

What files and tables should I back up for each subsite? They are only using themes and plugins that are network activated. I want to basically keep their settings and all of their product information and media that is being used by Marketpress.

Thanks,
    Nat.

• wp.network
      • The Bug Hunter

Hi @Natalie

I also want to make sure I am doing the right thing with backups.

Way to be! Basically, this means being vigilant and proactive in making sure that your backup files are up-to-date and that your restoration systems/process is fully functional at all times :slight_smile:

Testing your restoration capacity regularly is key!

Having backup solutions that run at automated intervals/schedules is a really good way to ensure that you always have up-to-date files to use with your often-tested restoration systems should the need ever unexpectedly arise.

Snapshot is a good solution for working with WPMS, however, I feel that you should seriously look into setting up at least once-in-awhile backups at the server level... depending on your setup, this is also a way to essentially backup the whole network at once (migrating vs restoration is obviously going to be a bit more complex).

Hope this can be helpful :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Max

• Ash
      • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Natalie

I have Snapshot network activated but it isn't showing up on the subsites dashboard. It only shows up at the Network Admin dashboard. So this means the backup for each site is done from there? Which is good for me.

Yes, you got it right :slight_smile:

What files and tables should I back up for each subsite?

You need to backup everything (including all tables) except wp-config.php file. If you add anything in your current wp-config.php file you need to write that again in new wp-config.php file.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
      Ash

• Natalie

I'm still having trouble with this. Here are the steps I have followed.

*Snapshot installed on live site and snapshots taken
    *Xamp installed locally
    *created a database and installed WordPress in a folder called 'mlc' and added database details to WP
    *Go to Network setup and make the necessary changes to create a multisite.
    *Install WPMU Dev Dashboard
    *Install Snapshot
    *Import snapshots from live site.

Attempt to restore the snapshot of the main site from my live site and get an error about URL mismatches. I understand that my live site is http://mylocalcreatives.com.au and my local site is http://localhost/mlc.

It won't let me put the restore on http://localhost/mlc.

Is this to do with settings in the network? DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE for the live site is 'mylocalcreatives.com.au' but for the local site it is 'localhost' and PATH_CURRENT_SITE for live site is '/' but for the local site it is '/mlc/'.

I can't believe how difficult it is to get a copy of my live site.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Natalie

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

Did you exclude wp-config.php file? And would you please try excluding wp_options table? I multisite it should be auto excluded though.

Anyway, would you mind if I try to take a snapshot from your site and try to restore in my local site? In that case, please grant support access from your Dashboard > WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access so that I can check.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.