How to build a jewellery website with MarketPress and Upfront?

I am an experienced application developer but would prefer to solve problems using tools than code them myself. I have not used WPMU MarketPress yet but I am eager to try.

My client is a jeweller and the project has two stages.

Stage 1: Build a brochure site. This will show full product details but rather than purchase online the customer will be invited to make an appointment to come the shop.

Stage 2: Move to full ecommerce.

I have seen a nice theme elsewhere,

http://www.templatemonster.com/demo/44949.html

but since I assume that you will recommend MarketPress I was wondering whether I would be better off using Upfront but none of your start themes look anything like the one above.

* Does MarketPress work well with Upfront? If yes,

* Which starter should I use and how to you recommend that I proceed?

* How do I disable shopping cart functionality and lead into a contact form for Stage 1 above?

Thank you for your help,

James

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey James,

We are still working on integration between Upfront and MarketPress. It's definitely useable as is now, but I wouldn't say there is 100% integration at this point so you may run into some issues. We have a big compatibility update coming out in 2016 that should make Upfront's editor much more friendly with not just MarketPress, but the majority of plugins.

So, being honest I think you should refrain from using MarketPress with Upfront until that update comes out.

MarketPress should work well with the majority of themes though so you may want to try it with the templatemonster theme you linked above :slight_smile:

Stage 1: Build a brochure site. This will show full product details but rather than purchase online the customer will be invited to make an appointment to come the shop.

You can disable the cart via: Store Settings > General. As seen in my screenshot.

Then when making each product page you can select the "Affiliate/external" product option and that will allow you to paste in a link to your contact form or even a booking calendar that you could create using our Appointments+ plugin.

If you want to do the contact form method then you could create a contact form using this free plugin here: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7/

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any further questions on this.

All the best,

Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey James,

Our major compatibility update is on the road map for Upfront version 1.3, possibly 1.2. This will introduce a new API that will allow not only us to make our plugins Upfront compatible, but any developer to make their plugins Upfront compatible :slight_smile: so it will be an awesome addition to say the least.

The project manager wouldn’t give me an ETA yet :slight_frown:

Hope your weekend went well, James!

Cheers,

Tyler

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi 4814,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry but we don’t have any updates from the developer regarding this matter. However, as stated by Tyler Postle above, its already in our roadmap to development and we are trying our best to integrate both products together as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience and being a member :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.