[How To] Build Your Own Etsy like Site Using Marketpress

This is my first tutorial posted on WPMU, please bear with me if I have any typos or errors. Anyways, hope this helps out a lot of people because I know there are more than a few threads regarding the topic.

How to build your own Etsy like site using Marketpress, a step-by-step tutorial.
Before we get started, let's go over what we will be needing:
- Wordpress installed on your site. SSL certificate recommended as well.
- Verified/business Paypal account, additionally you may need to obtain an application ID from http://www.X.com
- WPMU Marketpress plugin
- WPMU FrameMarket theme
- WPMU New Blog Template plugin
- Multisite User Management

1. If you have Multisite enabled already skip this step.
We must install Marketpress onto a Wordpress Multisite (aka Network) in order to allow our users to create their own storefronts and sell their products. To start, open up your wp-config.php file and add this before the line that reads /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */.

/* Multisite */
define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);

Refresh your page and now you will have Administration > Tools > Network Setup. On that page, we have two different choices:
"Sub-domains"
- or -
"Sub-directories."
I recommend choosing Sub-directories unless you have specific plans to use Sub-domains. You can read more detail about the differences here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network
Once you made your choice, fill in the few form details and press "Install."

**Make a copy of your wp-config.php and .htaccess now.**

Follow the instructions on the next screen by adding the given lines of code to your wp-config.php and .htaccess file. Refresh the page and you will be prompted to log in again. If something went wrong and you get an internal 500 error, delete your newly edited .htaccess file and restore the original one.

2. Once we have a working Wordpress Network, let's go over the basic settings we want. Navigate to Administration > Settings > Network Settings, under the Registration settings click "Both sites and user accounts can be registered." (You will want some sort of anti-spam and security measures in place if you do not already have them.)
Navigate back to your main site's dashboard and go to Settings > Permalinks. Choose "Post name" for the structure.

3. Time to install Marketpress, upload the plugin from Administartion > Plugins and then Network activate the plugin. Additional Marketpress Settings will now be available from your Network Admin dashboard.
-------------------------------------------------------
OPTION A:
**THE FOLLOWING STEP IS TO ENABLE TAKING AUTOMATIC COMMISSION FROM EVERY SALE**
Under Settings > MarketPress > General Settings choose "No" for both options. Under Gateway permissions, set each one to "No Access" except for Paypal Chained Payments, the page will reload with settings for Paypal. Don't forget to press "Save." Now in order to get all the credentials you need from Paypal you will need to obtain an Application ID from their developer site. Instructions on how to achieve this are here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/xcommerce-application-process-marketpress-fundraiser

OPTION B:
**THE FOLLOWING STEP IS TO ENABLE GLOBAL CART**
Under Settings > MarketPress > General Settings choose "No" for Limit Global widgets to main blog. Set Enable Global cart to "Yes." Under Gateway permissions, set each one to "No Access" except for Paypal Express Checkout. Press Save.
------------------------------------------------------------------
We cannot use both chained payments to take commission and Global cart together.
Next, upload the FrameMarket theme and network enable it. Optionally you can enable the GridMarket theme.
**For the GridMarket Child Theme**
Inside wp-content/themes/framemarket you’ll see another directory entitled themes with a gridmarket folder. Move this folder to the same wp-content/themes directory to match framemarket as shown below:
BEFORE: wp-content/themes/framemarket/themes/gridmarket
AFTER: wp-content/themes/gridmarket

4. Now we are ready to install our other plugins, New Blog Template and Multisite User Management. Network Activate both of them.
Multisite User Management will keep users logged in between different storefronts. Under Network Administration > Settings > Network Settings. At the very bottom you will find Multisite User Management. Only for main site, set all new users as Subscribers. Leave others blank and save.

The second plugin, New Blog Templates, is key to setting up the initial storefront for all our users to start with. The next step will go through the process.

5. Create a new site under Administration > Sites > Add Sites, fill out all the fields as necessary. In this example I am calling it "My Template Site." After the new sub-site is created, take note of the blog id. In my example it is .php?id=2. (hover your mouse over the site where it is listed under Sites > All Sites. The end of the url is what you need.)

Now navigate to the dashboard of the newly created site. Remove any unnecessary categories, comments, posts, and pages. Set the Permalinks structure to "Post name."
Activate the FrameMarket or GridMarket theme.
Under Theme Options > Set up your theme find "Type of Header" and choose "Site Title" and then find "Show global or just that main shop products on the front?" and choose "Local." Press Save Options.

Go to the Widgets page and remove all the widgets off the sidebar. Place "Search," "Shopping Cart," "Text," and "Global Product List"

For the text widget paste this text in it
Click <a href="http://www.yoursite.com/wp-signup.php"> here</a> to register and create your own store.
Press Save.
Remember, however we make this sub-site look and feel is what our users are going to get when they register their own storefront.
Under Products > Store Settings > Messages remove your email and Save.

6. Now navigate to Administration > Settings > Blog Templates and we are going to create a new Blog Template. Give it a name and then enter the blog id you took note of earlier. For me this was 2. Give it a desciption as well then check the boxes for:
- Wordpress Settings, Current Theme, and Active Plugins
- Posts and Pages
- Categories, Tags, and Links

Then hit "Create Blog Template." Once the page reloads press "Make default" on the template we just created. Now when users register their own store it will look just like the Template we created. They will have to fill in their shipping rates and verified Paypal address.

7. Navigate back to the main site's dashboard and create a new page. I called mine "All Products" and then paste the following shortcode in it and Publish.
[mp_list_global_products]
Then go to Settings > Reading and set Front page displays "A static page" and choose "All Products." Press Save changes. This will make your homepage list all your stores' products.

You will now have a basic working Etsy like site. If you need any further help or have any questions feel free to post them here.