[How To] Build Your Own Etsy like Site Using Marketpress

This is my first tutorial posted on WPMU, please bear with me if I have any typos or errors. Anyways, hope this helps out a lot of people because I know there are more than a few threads regarding the topic.

How to build your own Etsy like site using Marketpress, a step-by-step tutorial.
Before we get started, let's go over what we will be needing:
- Wordpress installed on your site. SSL certificate recommended as well.
- Verified/business Paypal account, additionally you may need to obtain an application ID from http://www.X.com
- WPMU Marketpress plugin
- WPMU FrameMarket theme
- WPMU New Blog Template plugin
- Multisite User Management

1. If you have Multisite enabled already skip this step.
We must install Marketpress onto a Wordpress Multisite (aka Network) in order to allow our users to create their own storefronts and sell their products. To start, open up your wp-config.php file and add this before the line that reads /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */.

/* Multisite */
define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);

Refresh your page and now you will have Administration > Tools > Network Setup. On that page, we have two different choices:
"Sub-domains"
- or -
"Sub-directories."
I recommend choosing Sub-directories unless you have specific plans to use Sub-domains. You can read more detail about the differences here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network
Once you made your choice, fill in the few form details and press "Install."

**Make a copy of your wp-config.php and .htaccess now.**

Follow the instructions on the next screen by adding the given lines of code to your wp-config.php and .htaccess file. Refresh the page and you will be prompted to log in again. If something went wrong and you get an internal 500 error, delete your newly edited .htaccess file and restore the original one.

2. Once we have a working Wordpress Network, let's go over the basic settings we want. Navigate to Administration > Settings > Network Settings, under the Registration settings click "Both sites and user accounts can be registered." (You will want some sort of anti-spam and security measures in place if you do not already have them.)
Navigate back to your main site's dashboard and go to Settings > Permalinks. Choose "Post name" for the structure.

3. Time to install Marketpress, upload the plugin from Administartion > Plugins and then Network activate the plugin. Additional Marketpress Settings will now be available from your Network Admin dashboard.
-------------------------------------------------------
OPTION A:
**THE FOLLOWING STEP IS TO ENABLE TAKING AUTOMATIC COMMISSION FROM EVERY SALE**
Under Settings > MarketPress > General Settings choose "No" for both options. Under Gateway permissions, set each one to "No Access" except for Paypal Chained Payments, the page will reload with settings for Paypal. Don't forget to press "Save." Now in order to get all the credentials you need from Paypal you will need to obtain an Application ID from their developer site. Instructions on how to achieve this are here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/xcommerce-application-process-marketpress-fundraiser

OPTION B:
**THE FOLLOWING STEP IS TO ENABLE GLOBAL CART**
Under Settings > MarketPress > General Settings choose "No" for Limit Global widgets to main blog. Set Enable Global cart to "Yes." Under Gateway permissions, set each one to "No Access" except for Paypal Express Checkout. Press Save.
------------------------------------------------------------------
We cannot use both chained payments to take commission and Global cart together.
Next, upload the FrameMarket theme and network enable it. Optionally you can enable the GridMarket theme.
**For the GridMarket Child Theme**
Inside wp-content/themes/framemarket you’ll see another directory entitled themes with a gridmarket folder. Move this folder to the same wp-content/themes directory to match framemarket as shown below:
BEFORE: wp-content/themes/framemarket/themes/gridmarket
AFTER: wp-content/themes/gridmarket

4. Now we are ready to install our other plugins, New Blog Template and Multisite User Management. Network Activate both of them.
Multisite User Management will keep users logged in between different storefronts. Under Network Administration > Settings > Network Settings. At the very bottom you will find Multisite User Management. Only for main site, set all new users as Subscribers. Leave others blank and save.

The second plugin, New Blog Templates, is key to setting up the initial storefront for all our users to start with. The next step will go through the process.

5. Create a new site under Administration > Sites > Add Sites, fill out all the fields as necessary. In this example I am calling it "My Template Site." After the new sub-site is created, take note of the blog id. In my example it is .php?id=2. (hover your mouse over the site where it is listed under Sites > All Sites. The end of the url is what you need.)

Now navigate to the dashboard of the newly created site. Remove any unnecessary categories, comments, posts, and pages. Set the Permalinks structure to "Post name."
Activate the FrameMarket or GridMarket theme.
Under Theme Options > Set up your theme find "Type of Header" and choose "Site Title" and then find "Show global or just that main shop products on the front?" and choose "Local." Press Save Options.

Go to the Widgets page and remove all the widgets off the sidebar. Place "Search," "Shopping Cart," "Text," and "Global Product List"

For the text widget paste this text in it
Click <a href="http://www.yoursite.com/wp-signup.php"> here</a> to register and create your own store.
Press Save.
Remember, however we make this sub-site look and feel is what our users are going to get when they register their own storefront.
Under Products > Store Settings > Messages remove your email and Save.

6. Now navigate to Administration > Settings > Blog Templates and we are going to create a new Blog Template. Give it a name and then enter the blog id you took note of earlier. For me this was 2. Give it a desciption as well then check the boxes for:
- Wordpress Settings, Current Theme, and Active Plugins
- Posts and Pages
- Categories, Tags, and Links

Then hit "Create Blog Template." Once the page reloads press "Make default" on the template we just created. Now when users register their own store it will look just like the Template we created. They will have to fill in their shipping rates and verified Paypal address.

7. Navigate back to the main site's dashboard and create a new page. I called mine "All Products" and then paste the following shortcode in it and Publish.
[mp_list_global_products]
Then go to Settings > Reading and set Front page displays "A static page" and choose "All Products." Press Save changes. This will make your homepage list all your stores' products.

You will now have a basic working Etsy like site. If you need any further help or have any questions feel free to post them here.

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

We cannot use both chained payments to take commission and Global cart together.

This is good info, I didnt know this So you can only do Option A above or B. Interesting.

Good functional tutorial but what I was looking for was a more indepth look at the various ways to generate revenue from a site like this. Perhaps with more complex options.

For instance Etsy charges $0.20 for each product listed, they then take a 3.5% commision. These listings are also time limited.

Here are some revenue scenarios I thought would be good:

Scenario 1: As Etsy and mentioned above, charge a listing fee for each product and a small percentage upon sale. I think a listing fee style could be achieved with Prosites Post/Page Quotas feature but havent had a play yet

Scenario 2: A Shopify style where its membership levels. Obviously this would be a Membership job.

Scenraio 3: A combo. A user can choose to "Pay as they go", so settle for listing fees and higher percentages taken OR they can choose a membership package and get no listing fees and smaller percentages taken.

SO the combining of Marketpress, Prosites and Membership is what I want to look into.

But hey good tut man, good to see people publishing on th forums so cookies coming your way!

Cheers

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

This is good info, I didnt know this So you can only do Option A above or B. Interesting.

I think everyone who initially installs Marketpress has the assumption that you can use a Global cart and take commissions, I know I did. This is one of the biggest limiting factor for generating revenue as a site owner.

For this tutorial I wanted to focus on configuring Marketpress to be the foundation we need for a multi vendor e-commerce platform. I will be writing some follow up posts that discuss specifically how to make money off our Marketpress site.

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Yup I did too. Im now trying to think what use the global site is? It can be used if all the stores in your network are your own otherwise Im struggling.

This is kind of a shame as I was hoping to use the global cart in this way for one of my upcoming websites. Looks like it would have to be a membership level style site but these are always a hard sell. Mmmmmm toughy.

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

Im now trying to think what use the global site is? It can be used if all the stores in your network are your own otherwise Im struggling.

Let's say 2 people sign up as vendors on my Marketpress network. They each have their own individual storefronts, but with Global cart a customer can add an item from each storefront and it will go into one single cart. Then the customer can checkout and pay for both storefronts in one go.

I think that the customer experience with the Global cart is by far the best, however generating income as the network admin with this setup will require more work.

I think you will do better selling Membership packages (like Shopify) if you are offering standalone storefronts to your vendors. I will touch upon this in my followup to this tutorial.

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Yeh I understand what the global cart does but like you say if you are looking to make money then this complicates things somewhat.

So I think if you are selling memberships then you can use global cart if your wanting commission on sales then its a no go.

Like I said though memberships are a hard sell. Its much easier to say "hey setup for free and if you sell we take a small cut"

However I suppose from a customers point of view, if they had a store they may not want a global cart feature as they want their store to be more "their own" if you get what I mean.

Man I cant wait to start one of these sites and fiddle about. More and more competition though so it'll be hard to make a mark.

Looking forward to your followup :slight_smile:

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

Like I said though memberships are a hard sell. Its much easier to say "hey setup for free and if you sell we take a small cut"

I completely agree with you, this is what I would like to offer users as the site owner.

However I suppose from a customers point of view, if they had a store they may not want a global cart feature as they want their store to be more "their own" if you get what I mean.

Counterpoint - as a vendor, with global listings you may gain a customer who sees your products while shopping another vendor's storefront. This customer would not have seen your products without the Global features. Again, this is another area that depends on what demographics you are trying to appeal to and what exactly you want to offer your vendors and customers.

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Mmm ok thought Id revisit this post and add some thoughts Im having.

I found this on the "Usage" tab on MP page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMaf5FDrWg&list=PLV1BcivFAIduTUJfnzcGUf0B_9UMlNy0v

(by the way the link to etsy tut video is incorrect on the Usage tab)

OK I wonder if this whole describing MP being able to make an etsy style site is a bit misleading.

Etsy has a cart that works globally (I believe)
    Etsy also has the feature to charge for product listings and make them time limited. I know a similar thing could be achieve with prosites but thats another plugin.

It does say on the MP page

Start your own Etsy shopping network.
    Well you cant really can you not just with MP alone.

The fact that you cant use global cart with chained payments is also are real issue for one of my upcoming projects. Im going to have to really think about how to do this site now. MMmmm obviously if I use global cart then they have to use theyre own Paypal settings etc which means the only way I can generate a revenue is by getting them to pay per listing, other prosites extras and/or by introducing Membership. This isnt the way I want the site to work as its so much harder to get people to signup to the network.

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Ahhh hang on if I set the checkout button type to buy now it means they can only purchase one item at a time. Thats cool for the kind of network Im developing but not ideal for others Im sure.

@hpidriver Im I correct in thinking the Buy Now button is just that, so there would be no cart and when clicking the buy now button youd be punted straight to Paypal where chained payments will be available.

• Pui Chan
    • New Recruit

Hi, why I can not login with the link http://www.website.com/subsite/login?, their info:

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Plz help me, tks!

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi pui_chan I see your new here but this really belongs in a new topic. We dont hijack threads (much) on this forum.

Also please please please give us all the info if you want help. So the error tells you to check the server log.....but you havent stated whats in that if anything?

Also if you are trying to login to a wordpress website then you cant login with the url you provided, its always /wp-login.php

But start a new thread dude. Nobody will answer you here, its just bad manners. :wink:

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

You could simply try entering numbers starting from 2
    I can't see your screen specifically so I'm not sure why it's not showing, but all the WordPress networks I've created show the blog id in the address/browser bar when hovering over.
    Out of curiosity, what are your permalink settings?

• MJ Oyedele
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have another question, does it make more sense to wait until I am completely finished with getting my site up to process the application for special App ID, or am I able to go ahead and get started now?

According to the instruction on the link you provided, it seems paypal will be testing out my site but there's nothing on there for now.

Thanks.

• MJ Oyedele
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Remember, however we make this sub-site look and feel is what our users are going to get when they register their own storefront.
    Under Products > Store Settings > Messages remove your email and Save.

I am not able to remove my email under messages. Once I remove it and save, it comes back up.

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

@MJ Oyedele

Thank you. I don't see the APP ID anywhere though..

Where exactly do you not see the App ID? Could you post a screenshot of the page that shows your Paypal App status is 'Approved?'

Also, when I pasted in

Click here to register and create your own store.

to give customers the option to create their own site, it just directs them to http://www.yoursite.com. It wasn't doing that yesterday so I'm not srue where I went wrong.

Your site's sign up page seems to be working for me. http://africanbargain.com/wp-signup.php
    Make sure you replace yoursite.com with your actual site's URL.

• McHon
    • New Recruit

@hpidriver

Thank you very much for the reply.

This Marketpress and Etsy thing is getting pretty annoying. I'm on my 8th installation, and believe that I'm wasting my money and time. I have the Frame/GridMarket theme, New Blog Templates plug-in, multiuser-site-management plug, including the MarketPress plug-in it self. I followed every instruction, and haven't reached anything satisfying yet.

I really have no clue what's going on.

1 )I did a test new site/user registration, and realized in the admin panel, I can't add products, or even set up a Paypal account (if a user had to) to the admin panel.

2) Aside, doing http://www.yoursite.com/user does not do anything but redirects me to a 404.

3) When a new user signs up, the template assigned to the "New Blog Templates" system is not assigned but the default Wordpress theme. Crap, the new user doesn't even get a page or site period, but just access to the admin panel.

This is the website.

http://houseoflamour.co.uk/

Log-in, and you'll realize there is no way for a user to add a product or set up his/Paypal account with his/her own sub store, which isn't in existence for some reason.

What am I doing wrong...Please, dearly please. I would really appreciate a response. I'm even willing to pay up a little.

Thanks

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

@McHon this is clearly a setup issue. The instructions above are pretty clear and Ive done a fair few of them in a similar setup Im doing and Ive done similar things in other kinds of sites.

If you are struggling and feel like you are wasting your time then you really need to hire a developer to help you out. There is loads of us out there but as Im sure you can appreciate that sometimes these things take a bit of time to setup or even talk you through and we dont always have the time to do it for free. We need to pay those pesky leccy bills to keep our computers running :wink:

The hardest thing about the instructions above is getting approved for chained payments by Paypal Developer. My advice would be make sure your setup and test products etc are solid before proceeding with Paypal (if you are).

• McHon
    • New Recruit

@ThePath

Yes you are right; although, I'm not asking anyone to talk me through the set-up just yet. I don't think it's even necessary as you said, the instructions are pretty clear, and I'm sure I did follow them correctly.

Can you just tell me what can possibly be the problem. I network activated the plug-ins as requested. Permalinks are set as post named permalinks, and new blog template has been set as instructed...Can you tell where I screwed up...? Please someone...

• McHon
    • New Recruit

@hpidriver

Thanks for taking a look at this, hpidriver. I'm really appreciating the help...

Yeah, I just re-enabled Both logged in and registered can create site..(looks like older users does not get newly applied roles or settings)

But i then realized, when a user attempts to log in via the front end, he/she is prompted to the wp-admin page, which allows profile editing, instead of the admin page that includes his/her site admin page, and the ability to add products.

Rephrased:
    I think you were able to get to the admin page you're in, through the log-in link the system gave you after sign-up. But when you log-in through the front end, you can only edit your profile info.

Unless you type in your username in the address bar, followed by "wp-login.php". (ex. yoursite.com/user/wp-login).

Why is that? I would really appreciate a response...please.

Sorry for the bad grammar. I'm thinking too fast, lol.

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

@McHon

I think you were able to get to the admin page you're in, through the log-in link the system gave you after sign-up. But when you log-in through the front end, you can only edit your profile info.

The wp-admin dashboard you are referring to (the one where I can only edit your profile info) is the dashboard for the main parent site (houseoflamour.co.uk)

Simply selecting My Sites will take me to my individual subsite wp-admin dashboard.

• McHon
    • New Recruit

@hpdriver

Pretty cool....Thanks again for the reply and help...

I'm wondering...I applied "GridMarket" theme as a theme for the template site assigned to "New Template Blog", as default. Why isn't the "New Template Blog" theme applied to the sub sites?

Would greatly appreciate a reply...

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

I'm wondering...I applied "GridMarket" theme as a theme for the template site assigned to "New Template Blog", as default. Why isn't the "New Template Blog" theme applied to the sub sites?

Creating new sites with New Blog Templates is similar to baking dough with a cookie cutter. If you change the cookie cutter, only the new cookies will be different.

Sites that have already been created with New Blog Templates will not reflect any new changes made to New Blog Templates, only subsequently created sites.

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

Another small thing to double check, the site that is marked as default - is it your main site or a sub-site created specifically to act as the template? It must be the latter to work properly.

I can take a look at your settings if you'd like, just temporarily switch my account on your site to admin access.

Cheers

• MJ Oyedele
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I know you're very busy but I've posted a few questions and didn't get a response.

Just to recap here:

1.) I need my register now page on my main page to be able to do 2 things, 1 is to be able to create account for users who simply want the ability to buy products and keep track of their order history (how other stores like jcp and macy's) then I need them to be able to create a seller account where they sign up with the intention of selling products like etsy.

---When I set it up and tried it out, it gives customers the option to just create a user name or to create their own site, however, when you click on create a username, it still logs them in to the same site (dashboard area) where it would take the sellers.

2.) I would like to limit everything all others users who create a site can do to just uploading products and setting their prices/shipping information and things like that...no access to dashboard or to change themes or plugs in.

3.) I have a website now through wix.com, is it possible to get my inventory transferred?

I have tried to hire someone on freelancer.com to help me and that has also been a disaster and now I am told I can't create a etsy like site through wordpress.

@hpidriver, are you available for hire? I am so overwhelmed and stressed about this whole process. Please please help.

• McHon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@MJ Oyedele

Well, in all honesty, there is no plug-in or theme that can do this. The companies or platforms that say they allow such things to happen are often gimmicks. Based on my experience, the closest thing to an Etsy like development out of the box is Marketpress, which is the reason why I'm looking through it at the moment. However, it will take some time for the staff members of Marketpress to get us a complete Etsy like development out of the box.

Can an Etsy like development be built through Wordpress? Yes it can, but only from the bottom to up..No plug-ins or extensions like I mentioned earlier, so it is costly to get a developer to do it.

I've been developing for a long time now, and have worked on big developments similar to Etsy. Maybe I can help you out; at a negotiable rate of-coarse.

Unfortunately, because of NDAs I cannot show you these "Etsy like" developments I have worked on, but I can surely show you my portfolio work, which does prove that I'm a professional developer.

In other words, I'm a developer who's willing to help you out :slight_smile:

Portfolio:
    http://www.peopleperhour.com/freelancer/mchon/web-coder-designer-logo-designer/345467

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

1.) I need my register now page on my main page to be able to do 2 things, 1 is to be able to create account for users who simply want the ability to buy products and keep track of their order history (how other stores like jcp and macy's) then I need them to be able to create a seller account where they sign up with the intention of selling products like etsy.

---When I set it up and tried it out, it gives customers the option to just create a user name or to create their own site, however, when you click on create a username, it still logs them in to the same site (dashboard area) where it would take the sellers.

In my tutorial, registration is handled through the standard wp-signup process, which handles both account only registration, and account + sub site registration.

Unfortunately, the redirect the dashboard area is standard Wordpress behavior. If you would like to restrict wp-admin access all together or change the redirect url this is possible using other plugins. Of course, you could always custom code it yourself.

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

2.) I would like to limit everything all others users who create a site can do to just uploading products and setting their prices/shipping information and things like that...no access to dashboard or to change themes or plugs in.

Check out WPMU's Ultimate Branding plugin for limiting dashboard access and other cool tweaks. Pro Sites can be used as well to limit access to other plugins.

There is also this paid plugin that will provide a front end only interface for your sellers, however it only works with FrameMarket/GridMarket - http://webnware.themetailors.com/store/products/tt-marketpress-frontend/

I am not affiliated with above product, however I have bought it and it does work as advertised.

@MJ Oyedele I can help you further if you'd like, contact me at my username at gmail

• liusy
    • New Recruit

Hi!

Thanks @hpidriver for the tutorial.

I've been messing around with this setup and have most of it figured out I think.

I had the same issue as @McHon with the Blog Template not working on new sites but I did get it to work by removing it as default and then making it as default.

The only thing right now I'm having issues with is getting global products to show. I started with two sites (the main site and benches@). Both sites have one product (the same - a bench). I can see the bench on each of the sites as their own product but the All Products page and the global widget for global products don't show anything.

Forgot to mention the test site I'm using is http://www.liusydesigns.com

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated!

• Nerrida
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

HI, All I can say is THANK GOODNESS for this post - really helpful.

BUT, what do I do if I don't want all my products on the front page. I want the newest products on the front page - sure, but I want pages that customers can navigate to different categories of products. Eg. I sell kits - so I want 'card kits' on one page and 'flower kits' on another page, and so on. Any suggestions on where to find idea on customising the set-up??

Oh, and where do we put descriptions of the product (detailed ones).

Thanks!

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

@Nerrida

HI, All I can say is THANK GOODNESS for this post - really helpful.

Thanks, I'm glad you found this post useful.

BUT, what do I do if I don't want all my products on the front page. I want the newest products on the front page

If you only want your latest products replace the shortcode in step 7 to the following:
    [mp_list_global_products order_by="date" order="DESC"]

I want pages that customers can navigate to different categories of products. Eg. I sell kits - so I want 'card kits' on one page and 'flower kits' on another page, and so on.

So let's say you have created a Marketpress product category called Card Kits and the category slug is set as card_kits. Use the following shortcode on a page to list only items under Cart Kits.
    [mp_list_global_products category="card_kits"]

Oh, and where do we put descriptions of the product (detailed ones).

Right in the editor box, just as if you were writing a blog post.

• Nerrida

OK, thanks - that's helpful.

Hmm, I did try putting the descriptions in the editor box but they were pretty long - looked a bit odd when you are listing a whole lot of contents of a kit. It would be better if the descriptions just appeared in the linked page I'm thinking. I guess kits are not like most 'normal' products, as they are a lot products in the one item your buying.

Without trying to hijack this post - does anyone know why all my product images are being re-scaled to 50 x 50 pixels on the front page? Wasted nearly 24 hours trying to fix it...

• Nerrida

HI, Yep I tried all that - all 3 settings, and none worked. I know it sounds like a cache issue, so I removed a line from the files but it made no difference. I searched for more instances of it in my file manager folders and can't find anything similar to what is mentioned on other forums when caching is an issue.

No idea what to do next. Thought about trying to override the CSS, but somehow I don't think that will fix it??

• Nerrida

Ok, ended up using freelancer because of time limits. Altering this solved it:

plugins/marketpress/marketpress.php
    plugins/marketpress/marketpress-includes/template-functions.php

next question - how do I make 4 images go across the main products instead of 3 across?

• Nerrida

Another question - can you add a right-hand-side side bar safely without screwing up the theme? Or do I have to stick with the layout of gridmarket? I would like to have my 'featured' items down the left and categories list down the right.

thx!

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

No idea what to do next. Thought about trying to override the CSS, but somehow I don't think that will fix it??

If you download Firebug for Firefox it becomes a lot easier to make CSS tweaks.

next question - how do I make 4 images go across the main products instead of 3 across?

I couldn't tell you what to modify to do this for the default. However, Flexmarket has the option to change this I believe - http://www.marketpressthemes.com/

Another question - can you add a right-hand-side side bar safely without screwing up the theme? Or do I have to stick with the layout of gridmarket?

You should be able to use a sidebar widget area with Gridmarket

• Rose
    • New Recruit

Hello I have been trying to set this up. Thank you so much for the tutorial. However, I am stuck at STEP 5.

I get this error message below:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_theme() in /home/qtrose/public_html/wp-content/themes/framemarket/functions.php on line 108

After activating "Framemarket" and also tried "GridMarket"

Please help.

Thanks.

• whatsup
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello.
    Sadly this thread has been heavily hijacked which is sad because the tutorial you posted and subsequent questions/ideas about the Global cart problem is something a lot of us are having a hard time with.

Has anyone thought further about how we can work around with what marketpress offers?

Or, would anyone from Marketpress submit their ideas on this situation?

My ideas :
    Using global cart is fantastic for sellers and shoppers.
    Sellers understand that being part of a Mall helps them sell more.
    So using global cart makes every sense in the world.

But then the Mall administrator cannot charge a commission on sales.
    Mall admin will be limited to charging a joining fee? or monthly fee?
    With this format, i can't even limit number of products a seller is allowed to sell. So that sucks.

I don't like the idea of charging per product. But if I choose this format, what can i use to charge sellers?

Can anyone submit more ideas about wise ways to monetize a mall?

Thank you

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

With this format, i can't even limit number of products a seller is allowed to sell. So that sucks.
    I don't like the idea of charging per product. But if I choose this format, what can i use to charge sellers?

One option is to charge a flat monthly rate, and I believe you can limit the number of products a seller can create by using Pro Sites' Post Quota limiter.

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

Curious...
    If you could have it work just how you wanted it to work, how would it work?

• Shawn
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm also wondering about the shopping cart limitations. Could we set up a global cart and then automatically redirect payment to the individual sellers? So, if I wanted a 6% commission from my sellers, I would charge the client full price and handle the transaction through the global cart, then transfer 94% of the fee and the order details to the shop owner.

• Ennis
    • Flash Drive

This was a great walkthrough. What would make it even better is a detailed step by step walkthrough of the Store Settings for the sites (Payments, in particular) and the whole concept of the Marketplace and how they all work to display the products globally and payments locally.

Any chance you have more information at that level?

Thanks!

• Mike

@hpidriver

Thank you for this helpful tutorial - just what I needed :slight_smile:

I recommend choosing Sub-directories unless you have specific plans to use Sub-domains.

I am wondering why you recommend Sub-Directories, and not Sub-Domains.

Is there a reason why Sub-Directories are preferable, please?

Mike.

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

@Mike2, I can't answer for hpidriver, but from the cost side an SSL certificate for a single domain (no subdomains) is much less expensive than one that uses a wildcard. This means that transactions and customer details can be collected under a single low-cost certificate.

• alex
    • New Recruit

Hey! I am in the process of setting up a site using this totorial, but my question is what I should do about hosting. As the site is in a rather proof of concept stage. I dont need to accommodate thousands of users, but I should be able to handle a few dozen users with unique storefronts. I am on a rather tight budget, and cannot afford some 100$/month dedicated server. What is the right choice for me?

Thanks i advance!

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

The problem with commissions on checkout with a global cart refers to the fact that you cannot use parallel payments and chained payments in the same transaction,

It is a PayPal limitation, they have set the rule for that to not be allowed.

So WPMUDEV cannot fix it.

A best solution to that problem would be to set up billing like Etsy does, where shop owners are billed monthly for the listing fees and sales percentages. Then the shop owners would pay their bills.
    This would be a great add on for Marketpress and would clear up this bit of frustration about Marketpress not being really like Etsy as far as that important feature.

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

I created a feature request for an add on that would give us true Etsy style billing for fees.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/feature-request-etsy-style-fee-billing-for-marketpress?replies=1#post-649432

Head over there and give it a plus one if this is what you are looking for.
    In the mean time i am using two different solutions,
    For some just make it a monthly and leave it at that... No fees per listing or per sale.
    For other more intimate groups doing the honor system... Smaller monthly fee... And honor system on the listings and commissions part. This only works where everyone in the venue is selected in and works as a team.

• Bob

I've gone through this - it's tough to find many of the links you reference in control panel but I think I've gotten through most of it. However I have to believe I have done something wrong. For starters, the first store I created looks like it's drawing from the theme http://celticjewelrydesigners.com/templatesite/ but the main site looks like it is not celticjewelrydesigners.com How do I get this working, and where to I go to edit the CSS on both? Whew this is a tough installation.

• Olof
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have a problem when creating a template site.... I can create it but can't visit the "template dashboard" to follow the next steps "Cant load page..."... Please help me! =)

"5.....
    Now navigate to the dashboard of the newly created site. Remove any unnecessary categories, comments, posts, and pages. Set the Permalinks structure to "Post name."

• David
    • New Recruit

Still doesn't work.

I'm curious about one thing though.

When I go to Sites -> Add New

Site Address
    127.0.0.1/wp/ [fill out]

Only lowercase letters (a-z) and numbers are allowed.

Let's say I [fill out] site address with "template5", so my dashboard link would be
    http://127.0.0.1/wp/template5/wp-admin/

Am I suppose to create this http://127.0.0.1/wp/template5/wp-admin/ folder myself or was Wordpress suppose to create that for me automatically with I "add new site".

Cause, whenever I try to go to dashboard, I get
    The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

I don't see any http://127.0.0.1/wp/template5/wp-admin/ or template5 folder in my wp-content, so it's only naturally that I wouldn't be able to visit a site that didn't exist

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

@davidlee0019 - what you're experiencing sounds like you don't have WP installed completely. You have to make sure that your htaccess file is installed with the appropriate values from Settings, Permalinks. Your server must also support htaccess processing (and IIS, which you're probably using if you're in a Windows setup) does not.

• David
      • New Recruit

Shawn: THANK YOU :slight_smile:
      Finally resolved the problem

Your comment gave me the hint I needed
      "what you're experiencing sounds like you don't have WP installed completely"

Turns out, since I'm using AMPPS, I have to MANUALLY start my FTP server
      Since I usually leave the FTP server off cause I've never needed before.

Anyway, Add New site is working properly now.
      I'm viewing my new site's Dashboard on a different tab as I'm typing this.

THANKS YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP \(^,^)/

• David
    • New Recruit

Shawn: I used Ampps to install Wordpress 3.9.1 for me on my Mac.
    If what you're saying is true about my Wordpress not my being completely, I'm grateful for your help.

But I'm still not sure how I'm suppose to fix it.
    Rather, I don't know how to "make sure that your htaccess file is installed with the appropriate values from Settings, Permalinks" or how to check if my server supports htaccess processing.
    I was following the instructions on this tutorial

Also, seems like I created a little confusion,
    but believe me, I'm not intentionally spamming

The thing is, I posted that comment above by accident.
    I didn't realize I was submitting my comment in another forum

I already started a discussion in another forum.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/for-some-reason-i-cant-access-the-dashboard-for-other#post-693575

That comment was actually suppose a reply to another person who was asking me
    "Please let me know if it works this time."
    hence why my comment started off with
    "Still doesn't work"

• Vaughan
      • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @david,

As you have started a thread for this issue, can you please continue in that thread as this issue is totally unrelated to this thread topic. It also prevents the other members in this thread receiving notification emails that are not relevant or necessary & helps other members by not finding irrelevant information in threads they are looking for.

Thanks for your understanding.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.