how to cache the jewelry shop theme

re: http://www.sarah-neuber.de/634/themes/the-jewelry-shop

A client of mine likes this theme ( for me it's far too complex ) - my aim is at least to get it running a bit more efficiently.

Does anyone have experience with using this theme and caching it successfully - or other performance boasting tips?

• aecnu

Greetings Ray!,

Thank you for letting me know and therefore deserves an answer to the best of my ability.

Does anyone have experience with using this theme and caching it successfully - or other performance boasting tips?

The only suggestion I have is to get a good host. It is my opinion that caching should not be necessary until you hit around 1 million hits a month.

Otherwise I consider caching a poor mans hardware.

And I have indeed given my performance boosting tip in my last suggestion above, a good host, not this BS Blue Host that publicly admits throttling bandwidth and tells so as low as 15mbps when the servers are coming with 100mbps minimum Ethernet cards nor the other hosting farms that put two hundred or more clients on a single server until all the resources are allocated in attempt to maximize profits at the expense of performance.

This is easy enough to prove.

Also server configuration is of the utmost importance but rarely does anyone worry about this part of the equation i.e. 64MB allocated php memory or 512MB allocated php memory.

Anyone else have a solution to offer?

Please let Ray! and I know.

Thank you Ray! for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Ray Q

@aecnu - thanks for taking the time to offer up your advice.

While I certainly see where you coming from, I'm also a big fan of caching - when you get it right it's great to see a site speed from page to page thanks to good browser caching of resources and a pre-loaded page cache.

Perhaps you're right as far as a low traffic and low tech WP install - out of the box on a decent server it's going to do well - but a lot of people are drawn in by cheap hosting deals and even a good VPS can quickly become slow once you've got a few complex WP installs ( with complex plugins on top )..

For me that's where object and database caching can also help out - not to mention cloud caching - if I can call it that - sharing the load across services like cloudflare...

Anyhow - on simple sites I do minimal caching, but normally some, on larger ones I work hard to set things up well, as I do value the outcome.

Back to my original question - this overly complex theme http://www.sarah-neuber.de/634/themes/the-jewelry-shop - seems not to want to play ball with w3 Total Cache - which is my choice for complex WP installs - I could tweak it all again and perhaps find the right mix - just wanted to know if anyone else has tried and succeeded?

Thanks!

Ray

• aecnu

Greetings Ray,

Thank you for your additional input which is certainly appreciated.

In an effort to show that this theme will indeed scream on my servers I went to the site you suggested to see about the theme itself and when trying to get the theme I get a 404 error when it redirects me to Theme Forest.

Any clue why this may be?

Am I missing something?

In addition, please be advised that my personal discrimination against these caching schemes is not relative to compression and browser caching which when coupled with the end users machine exponentially increases the power within the network by adding their machine to the matrix.

Please advise as to what has happened to acquiring this theme via the link you gave?

If I do not hear from you beforehand, have a GREAT upcoming weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• Ray Q

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply!

The theme is a "premium" one - in the mould of WPMU - and that means I can't send you a copy either - the company has a pro-active and understandable desire to limit illegal copies floating around.

But - the good news is that I've tweaked a few things and it's certainly running nicer - some more caching to go.. I do love caching.. and me and my server will be happier.

Thanks for all your efforts and time and you have a great weekend too mate!

Ray

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.