How to Change BP Scholar home page layout

Please see the image of the Scholar Home Page.

1. How can I change the Home Page to use or look like the Right Sidebar Template?

2. How can I find, save and reuse the shown Left Sidebar Widgets "Search our community" and "Follow Us" so I can add them to the Right Sidebar?

3. How can I remove the Left Column so the Home Page looks like the Right Sidebar Template but retains all the other features of the present Home Page?

Thanks,

Ed

• Mason

Hiya!

Looking at your questions, it seems like you'd like to flip the template around so the left content is on the right, and the right is on the left.

Is that correct?

If so, you could do this by adding some custom css:

#content { float: left; }
    #sidebar {float: right; }

Add the above lines to your child theme's style.css and you should be in business. This will make change across every page of your site.

If you only want it to work on the front page, then:
    1. Copy the entire contents of home.php into your child theme's root directory, and then rename the content div to something like 'content-home' and add this to your CSS instead of #content.
    2. Copy the sidebars folder and sidebar-home.php into your child theme. Open sidebar-home.php and change the 2nd line ID from sidebar to something like sidebar-home and change the CSS listed above to match.

That's a couple steps, but it will ensure that your parent theme is always available for updates without removing your customizations. :smiley:

Thanks!

• exberry

Thanks again. I am part way there but I could use a mid-course correction.

The image shows my present home page. I got there by copying home.php to the child directory, changing the two php options to false, and renaming content div. Had I not renamed content div then the blank column would be on the left of Welcome Message rather than on the right.

I have only one remaining goal: to remove the blank column and allow the Welcome Message to fill the space.

Thanks,

Ed

• Mason

Hiya!

Ok, looks like we're almost there.

Had I not renamed content div then the blank column would be on the left of Welcome Message rather than on the right.

It's not so much a blank column as it is just empty space on your site. We can fix this easily. Based on what I'm currently seeing on your site you'll need to do the following:
    In your child theme's home.php remove the opening and closing tags for #content. Since you're using the front-2col div, you don't need #content.

Then, just make your #front-maincolumn wider by adding this to your child's style.css:
    #front-maincolumn { width: 760px; }

You should be good to go. I believe the extra space or blank column was for the social media bits from the original theme. In my original post I thought you were wanting to keep that.

Anyway, this should take care of it for you. :smiley: