How to change Chat Slug (permalink) in Group Chats

This addon is pretty cool but I can't help but to notice that when I view any BP Groups and then go to the group chat, it loads, "wpmudev-chat-bp-group/"
groupname/wpmudev-chat-bp-group/

Is there a way that it to change that to just group-chat? Why the crazy long slug?

• Sajid

Hi @Anthony

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am afraid their is no easy way around to change the chat slugs.

In the answer why they are so long its because slugs are most integral part of WordPress echosystem. They must be unique in order to recognize the requests and redirect them on proper templates/pages. Having common slugs may conflict with other plugins or even with default pages/post and can break the pages, in results throws 404 page.

You can change global settings from Admin > Chat > Settings > Box Appearance > Border Color.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Anthony

understood about the chat,but i know what plugins I'm running so there's not a plugin slug name conflict.

I figured out how to change the slug from
    groupname/wpmudev-chat-bp-group/ to groupname/group-chat

See attached screen. You can find that in
    wp-admin backend > Chat > Setting Common > buddy press tab (usually last), then edit your Page Slug

Hopefully this will prove useful to someone else looking to do the same thing.

----

I've however changed the box appearance in the location you mention in the past but all my group chat boxes still remain blue. I know of the css override way of doing it but preferred if there was a setting ways of doing it.

• Sajid

Hi @Anthony

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry for delay here and also for the chat plugin settings. I figured when BuddyPress plugin is disabled that menu would not be visible. That's what happened to me and I missed that point. Sorry!

For box appearance border color, if you have individual chat box settings while inserting the chat in a page. Then global settings would not applied. Make sure you don't have box_border_color="#eacf4b" parameter in individual chat shortcode.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.