How to Change ProSites Signup Page Language & Add an Intermediary 'waiting' Page

Howdy WPMUDev,

Hope your day is going great!

I've got two questions about how to tweak the signup process in ProSites after watching a cool internet marketing psychology series...

Basically, the premise is that users often value work that is seen more than automagically instantaneous work which is performed unseen.

Think the visual search experience of kayak vs orbitz (kayak being the clear winner here: it shows you the algorithm 'hard' at work for you).

Sooo... I'm thinking that I'd like to change two things about the ProSites signup process:

1) I'd like to alter the line which reads

Get a [NetworkName] site in seconds

to instead read as

Get a [NetworkName] site now

1a) There is also the alternate sentance displayed for repeat signups to change as well.

1b) It would be nice to be able to change this sentence around easily for testing... how would that be workable?

2) I would then love to experiment with adding a 'waiting' page to the signup process after clicking the 'create site' button.

This would be a page with updating status messages related to the site creation process along with some nifty animations or other media.

Basically a page that will try to visually communicate the detailed and extensive work performed on the customers behalf.

The key here is being able to time the redirect. As in, I want to try various lengths of setup visualization (10 seconds vs 15 seconds & etc.)

Is this something that can be done with the WPMUDev Login Redirect Plugin? It seems that it would not be appropriate to me. I need the 'work visualization' page to exist in the signup process, prior to the user's first login.

After clicking 'create site' the user is shown a confirmation page (which varies if new user or repeat) I'm thinking that being able to change/add to the sentance

The site [SiteName] is yours.

...and then to include my animation or other media on the same page seems like it would a workable solution for now... how would this be possible?

I am not at all sure that the approaches I've outlined above are the most effective to take in achieving my goals here.

If y'all have any other suggestions of how I can add this kind media (a video or slideshow) into the signup experience flow I would love to hear your ideas!

Best Regards & Aloha,
Max

(ps. any former sims players out there? remember the into with the 'reticulating splines' messages? :slight_smile:

pps. and just in case y'all happen to test & implement something like this for edublogs with nontrivial results, I wouldn't mind a lifetime membership if it pencils out :wink:

• Tyler Postle

Hey Max,

Hope you're doing well today

1) I'd like to alter the line which reads

There is a couple days you can do this:

1. Network wide text change module in our Ultimate Branding plugin - allows you to enter a string of text and change it to something else. This will be network wide and not page specific though.

2. Gravity Forms User Registration or Similar Plugin: This may be the best method for you since you're wanting to customize the sign up a little more. A plugin like Grav Forms User Registration (requires dev license) lets you create custom registration forms. So you can change all the text etc.

3. Edit the wp-signup.php file itself; however, WordPress updates would overwrite your changes here.

2) I would then love to experiment with adding a 'waiting' page to the signup process after clicking the 'create site' button.

This would require some substantial customization to the registration process. You would need to customize the core registration process in WordPress to achieve this. You can easily redirect users after the registration process is complete but not in the middle of it.

This would be something you could post on our jobs board to hire a developer from the community to implement something like this.

If y'all have any other suggestions of how I can add this kind media (a video or slideshow) into the signup experience flow I would love to hear your ideas!

The easiest way to do this would be to have the person registered then redirect them. Although, I have never attempted this myself, so just trying to think of ideas here :slight_smile:

You could always customize the sent email too. To mention their site is being setup and while that's happening check out the tutorials or something like that.

Perhaps others here will have some ideas too!

Let us know if you have further questions. More than happy to continue the conversation here :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• wp.network

Hey @Tyler Postle thanks for weighing in :slight_smile:

1) Thats an excellent suggestion, thanks.

2) I have yet to bite the bullet on a Gravity Forms dev license... I do have some other login form solutions on tap though. I'll think about this.

3) As for tweaking the signup flow, I thought something like this would be the case. I do really like your point about using the confirmation email to do some of the work I'm interested in, there is potential there for sure.

4) As for redirecting after registration, any ideas on a plugin that might deliver what I'm after? Specifically, one which would let me send a user to an intermediate page for a controlled number of seconds?

Kind Regards,
    Max

• Tyler Postle

Hey Max,

Just getting back to this thread now, sorry for the delay! Thanks for updating the thread as resolved too. I'll still address your above questions for ya though :slight_smile:

2) I have yet to bite the bullet on a Gravity Forms dev license... I do have some other login form solutions on tap though. I'll think about this.

Other login form solutions should work just as well in many cases :slight_smile:

4) As for redirecting after registration, any ideas on a plugin that might deliver what I'm after? Specifically, one which would let me send a user to an intermediate page for a controlled number of seconds?

I actually haven't seen a plugin that can do this to be honest. I know Gravity Forms can redirect after sign up, but you would be wanting an intermediate page after clicking the activation email link right?

Anyways, I'll keep my eyes open for something like this and let us know when you return back to this project :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• john_kesler

In my quest for a different answer, I found this question and can effectively answer it. First have gravity forms redirect to a page, which will be your landing/loading page. Then write/copy (See below) a simple JS script that has a redirect to the account page you would eventually like them to land on. Then add the shortcodes/content to your final account page (the one you're redirecting them to). You can add the JS in many themes right in their options panels or with Visual Composer as an element or if you have a little bit of experience with WordPress you could create a .js script and enqueue the script in the functions.php in your(a) child theme for that particular page. You can add loading sequence etc. with javascript that keeps them entertained while they wait. Get crazy and add an animated graphics etc. lots of cool options out there.

The simple, non-programing approach would be to get Visual Composer and use it's JS element and insert a js redirect but then add the animation or the loading image right on the page with Visual Composer too. The extended versions of Visual Composer even have SVG animation addons or use MasterSlider/Revolution slider to create very styled timed motion graphic or words etc. You can pretty much control the entire experience with this option.

More correctly would be to add the enqueuing option and write the loader in the JS as well. That way you can control the timing loading etc. you can always pick up devs here on WPMU DEV or get one at Upwork.com for probably less than $100 for the entire experience. I have a very good WordPress dev at upwork if you need a suggestion.

A Couple of links that might help:

Scripts Resources:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7276677/jquery-redirect-to-url-after-specified-time
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17150171/page-redirect-after-x-seconds-wait-using-javascript

WordPress Enqueuing:
    https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_enqueue_script/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/adding-scripts-and-styles-wordpress-enqueueing/

Plugins:
    Visual Composer: https://vc.wpbakery.com/
    Extended Visual Composer: https://codecanyon.net/item/visual-composer-extensions-addon
    MasterSlider: https://codecanyon.net/item/master-slider-wordpress-responsive-touch-slider

I hope this helps.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.