How to change the at a glance wordpress branding

the "At a glance" widget has the Wordpress branding in the widget. Is there a way to keep the widget and remove that wordpress branding?

I tried the text change of "WordPress 3.8.1 running "

to something blank, but no luck. Also if the version of wordpress changes this wouldn't be a good solution.

What would be the way to use ultimate branding to remove this wordpress branding? Thanks.

Follow up question, does the text change plugin run in only the admin section? And also is it a lot of overhead? Thanks!

• Patrick

Hi there @Ben

I hope you had a great weekend!

The Text Change module doesn't appear to work for that particular text, likely because it is not a simple text string. Rather, it's auto-generated by WordPress depending on which version and theme are active.

However, the Admin CSS module can do the trick by adding this to it:
    #dashboard_right_now p:last-child {display:none;}

The p:last-child specifies only the last p element in that particular div (just in case some other data is injected in there too).

Follow up question, does the text change plugin run in only the admin section? And also is it a lot of overhead? Thanks!

While the module was designed to function in the backend, it does have a happy quirk that it does sometimes work to change text strings generated by plugins/themes on the front-end (things like buttons). But that's not was it was designed to do.

If you need to change text strings on the front-end, you would be better served by doing so in a child-theme for theme-related stuff, and in custom language files for plugins whose output you want to modify.

As for overhead, I haven't noticed any increase in page-load times at all on the sites I have tested with, regardless of which modules are activated.

• Ben

Thanks @patrick, I did the suggested css and that worked like a charm!

As for overhead, I haven't noticed any increase in page-load times at all on the sites I have tested with, regardless of which modules are activated.

Regarding the happy quirk, would be good to know if when the text replace is scanning text if it is only doing it when it admin mode, it would seem that scanning text on every page load could over time and with more traffic could add more strain on the server. Would love to know if this strain is only in admin mode or also for regular traffic

• Jose

Hi @Ben,

I hope you are well today. First of all, sorry for the huge delay here.

The Text Change module in the Ultimate Branding plugin makes use of the gettext filter and therefore it can cause performance issues on pages with high traffic. Usually, you would likely be using a cache layer in front of those pages. In any case, you should be very careful when using this kind of features.

Thanks for your question!

Cheers,
    JJ

• Ben

@Jose @Patrick Cohen

There are 3 instances where I am using text change that I think should be specific plugins in ultimate branding so to not be forced to use text change and should be considered for the next release (or perhaps you know of another way to make the change:

1. "WordPress 3.8.1 running" Changing that to ""
    2. "Welcome to WordPress!" Changing that to "Welcome to <my company>!"
    3. "This is a child theme of " Changing that to ""

Would be great if there was another way to accomplish this without textchange, and also would be good if in the text change rule one could set it up so that a rule would only pertain to the admin section.

• Jose

Hey @Ben,

I'm flagging the developer to consider the feature request for future releases.

In the meantime, you can sort this out with a very simple hack to the plugin code (of course, you will need to replicate the change if you update the plugin to a newer version).

In the file site-wide-text-change.php line 63, replace this:
    add_filter('gettext', array(&$this, 'replace_text'), 10, 3);

With this:

if(is_admin())
      add_filter('gettext', array(&$this, 'replace_text'), 10, 3);

That way, the text replace filter will be applied only when the admin panel is being displayed.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    JJ

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.