How to charge an upfront payment and then monthly payments

I have a blog platform I'm offering to my members where the price is $67 up front and then $9.95 each month.

How can I do this using Pro Sites?

I can only see either monthly, yearly, etc but not a combination of upfront + monthly

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @stephanepage,

Pro Sites doesn't have a way to charge an upfront fee. I will move this to Features & Feedback though so we can see what other community members think, and so it can be considered for future development.

If this is something you need right away, it would take some custom development. We don't undertake custom work at WPMU DEV, but if you need to hire a developer, I'd strongly recommend checking our our job boards: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Best regards,

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@stephanepage,

I'm sorry no this wouldn't work either, the coupon is always applied to the first payment.

This really isn't possible without custom development, or a future plugin update that would make this available. As this is now a feature request, we can see if others are interested and perhaps it will be considered for future release.

Best regards,

• Blake
    • New Recruit

Guys best option here is to use Gravity Forms, +Stripe from http://gravityplus.pro & the User Registration Addon. With that you can do exactly what you want and even use Gravity Forms custom functions to trigger the users PROSITES Account level on signup/site creation so you still get all the Prosites functionality. I'm working on a project now where this is the exact solution i'm having to use. The ability to do this directly in Prosites would make life MUCH easier but alas nothing is ever perfect. Once its complete i'll do my best to write up a tutorial with specific steps. May be a week or two though as im under the gun to get this project wrapped up.

• Ioannis
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for your helpful answer Blake, and although Gravity Forms seems to be the best out there, it's a quite expensive commitment, one that takes away the whole purpose of wpmu's package. What you market, is an all in one solution. Promoting third party plugins in the forums is not the best option, although I do understand that it's a solution that works, and you are trying to help.

What about wpmu? Are there any plans for a competitive forms plugin in the future?

• Blake
    • New Recruit

Just to be clear I'm not affiliated in any way with WPMU. Just a raving fan who has used their products (plugins) daily for the past three years. Unfortunately they don't currently offer an out of the box solution to this problem although it has been a much requested feature for quite some time. However.... I will say in most circumstance you should be able to accomplish most of your Multisite needs with the plugins they offer and their Job board is a great place to start when looking for custom development work to extend said plugins. Just about every plugin has all the hooks / functions you should need to tie into to make this sort of thing a reality. Its simply a much easier (point and click instead of custom code) process using something like GF. As for the cost of Gravity forms I'd agree its quite a heavy investment up front but the capabilities of it coupled with just about any other plugin make it a tremendous value. On an annual basis i tend to factor the cost of plugins like this and the annual WPMUDev membership into the projects I take on which allows me to offset the cost over a pretty short period of time.... Perhaps once i wrap up my currently very late project where im using GF i'll see about building an addon to Prosites that can accomplish this as it seems to be something that quite a few people need. Unfortunately (Or Fortunately) i tend to stay very busy so dont hold your breath on a quick turn around on this. WPMUDev may actually beat me to the market on this one...

• Mike
    • The Bug Hunter

+1

I think to get this working properly you are going to have to modify the plugin. If you use gravity forms to take payments you will still have to make a callback that involves custom coding so you might as well just modify the plugin.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.