How Can I Charge Users and Disable Free Blogs

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased the WPMU+BBpress+Buddypress package.

How can I configure the site where I only offer paid memberships with a free trial? I like to prevent users from creating a free blog (sub-domain) on my site.

I just want users to have one option which is:
Free 14-day Trial then it converts to a paid monthly account with recurring payments.

What plugin should I use? How does it handle account cancellations?

I also like to prevent users from uploading their own themes and plugins. I only want them to select the themes and plugins I provide. How can I do this?

• Mason

Hiya!

Have you used the Supporter plugin yet? I noticed it's tagged in the sidebar for this thread.

This plugin was built to do exactly what you're wanting to do here. You can create a free trial, followed by a subscription-based payment for continued blogging. It also provides components for making plugins/themes available to members based on their supporter status.

In a WordPress multi-site your site admins shouldn't have the ability to load new plugins/themes anyway, so you're good there.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• Mason

Hiya manilaboy,

Yeah, after the trial period ends the subscription starts up automatically. When the subscription expires or is canceled they'll lose admin access to the elements that are 'supporter only'. This would largely mean plugins/themes. I don't believe supporter will actually turn off these items (as this wouldn't really be great for the user) but I'll ask Aaron to confirm this for sure.

Thanks!

• manilaboy

In a WordPress multi-site your site admins shouldn't have the ability to load new plugins/themes anyway, so you're good there.

Hi Mason,

What if my users want to install a few 3rd party (industry specific) plugins and themes? Will I be able to let them do it with the supporter plugin or do I need to install the plugin on their sites manually?

As the super admin, will I have full admin access to the individual sites within my network or should I have the user's permission to do it?

If it will be safer to do install the themes and plugins myself, what will be the easiest way of doing it?

• Aaron

What if my users want to install a few 3rd party (industry specific) plugins and themes? Will I be able to let them do it with the supporter plugin or do I need to install the plugin on their sites manually?

They can't install them, and it's too dangersous anyway. You can test and install them yourself though and make them available to only paid blogs with supporter.

As the super admin, will I have full admin access to the individual sites within my network or should I have the user's permission to do it?

That's how superadmin works.

I don't believe supporter will actually turn off these items (as this wouldn't really be great for the user) but I'll ask Aaron to confirm this for sure.

Yes, it turns them off.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.