how to convert a theme to be buddypress compatible

Just that. What are the steps to creating a buddypress compatible theme? Assuming it standard themes can be modified for that purpose. How would one know?

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday Sharonmiranda,

What theme are you using? The reason I ask is some theme frameworks (Genesis and its child themes for example) can use ANY child theme as a BP theme, but you need additional coding or a plugin to make it work. For example, with Genesis, you need the BuddyPress Connect plugin which links up all the BP fields and functions so they all work correctly.

I'm curious if you're using a theme framework or just trying to use a certain theme. Good luck with it, and be sure to post back here so future visitors can find the solutions as well.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• sharonmiranda
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I am using the 'motion' theme.

I began following the steps buddypress offers, but one of their steps is non-nonsensical to me. I ended up adjusting the css for BP-default theme. It didn't take too much. But I know there is more I just haven't gotten to yet. So one would think it would be best to alter the BP templates, as per their instruction, but that would mean upgrades could lose those changes. So I am in a quandary.

• sharonmiranda

I have created several child themes using the BP default but I do not want to be limited by that. I want to have the freedom of capacity, with full range of design style.

Plus, there are designs already made from outside of the buddypress network, or within the network that weren't designed with the expectation of BP, and I do not want to have to re-create. It comes down to learning what is the most efficient and stable tactic.

• sharonmiranda

The Buddypress instruction that is unclear:

http://codex.buddypress.org/theme-development/wordpress-to-buddypress-theme/

'..make copies of your theme’s header.php, sidebar.php and footer.php and rename them to header-buddypress.php, sidebar-buddypress.php, and footer-buddypress.php. Then you can alter the structure of these new template files (header-buddypress.php, sidebar-buddypress.php, and footer-buddypress.php) to resemble your theme’s page.php (or index.php).'

It doesn't make sense because your theme's header, sidebar and footer pags are already resembling your theme's page or index files. And how does that statement relate to buddypress theme? I suspect they mean to alter them to match the buddypress page or index files.Yes, I will go and ask the Buddypress folks to clear this up, but thought it to be nice to post this issue here for others.

• sharonmiranda

What Budddypress meant, instead of this:

'. Then you can alter the structure of these new template files (header-buddypress.php, sidebar-buddypress.php, and footer-buddypress.php) to resemble your theme’s page.php (or index.php).'

they meant this:
    .. Then you can alter the structure of these new template files (header-buddypress.php, sidebar-buddypress.php, and footer-buddypress.php) to match the buddypress index.php structure.

Of course, that works if the change doesn't actually alter your original design, and thus saves the time of altering all the 16 buddypress pages.

It is still unclear how header-buddypress.php, sidebar-buddypress.php, and footer-buddypress.php play into the original theme. Whether they are automatically used by the theme instead of header.php, sidebar.php and footer.php if they exist or something. I can see the value if that is how they are treated, as in case of upgrade of the theme, these new files are preserved.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.