How to convert default post type to custom post type

Hi,

I want to create project, where default post type functionality is to be use. but not want to use post trace in url , menu etc.

there could be option to create another post-type and taxonomy etc.

i want solution rather create custom post type, how can i convert default post-type to my post type, so all basic features will be there and also save my time to create another.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @Ajay,

I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what you want to achieve... Could you please elaborate?

Do you want to duplicate an existing custom post type? Or the posts in that post type?
    How is the already existing post type created?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• Ajay
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,

I want to duplicate an existing custom post type "post" functionality"
    but not want the name "post" like: add post , edit post of post etc.

so how can i edit existing post type "post" with my post-type label and url etc.
    rather to create new , after creating i do not have to use default post-type "post"

- i want to change label, url default post-type "post" to my custom post-type

Please let me know if need to brief more.

Regards,

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ajay,

I believe I'm understanding you here, so you just want to create new posts types that are similar to your "Posts" but named something different?

Example, if you wanted to create a movie database then you could create a post type called "movies". Is that sort of the idea?

If so, then our CustomPress plugin is exactly what you're looking for. It will allow you to create new post types and customize all the labels associated with them :slight_smile:

If that isn't what you're after then just let us know and we'll find the right solution for you.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Ajay
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi @Tyler,

want to create new posts types that are similar to your "Posts" but named something different?

yes, exactly i want, but i do not want to create new one,
    i want to modify defalut posttype "post" instead.

can this custom press do this ?

Regards,
    Ajay

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @Ajay,

You cannot modify the existing "post" post-type.
    This is the default post-type of WordPress and a lot of functions depend on it.
    However, you can simply use the WordPress translation system and change the wording to whatever you want if all that interests you is how it appears to uses.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @Ajay,

We have a lot of plugins and solutions that will allow you to create an additional post type and hide the default one if you want. But NOT to convert the "posts" post type to something else.
    Even if you found a 3rd party plugin that can do this, it is not something I would advise you do as it may break a lot of things on WordPress!!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• wp.network
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @Ajay

I'm no expert by any means, but my intuition is to agree with @aristath's advice above.

I've played with CustomPress a bit, and also have been trying to learn how to use the WP Types suite of plugins (wp-types.com if you're not familiar - this has a bit of learning curve but a good reputation as far as I know).

http://surefirewebservices.com/learn-about-toolset-wp-types-views-cred-access offers a good wp-types course if you go that direction.

Cheers,
    Max

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.