How to convert free trial memberships to paid memberships

I currently have over 100 free trial members subscribed through the membership plugin and I now need to allow them to sign up for a paid subscription. Masonjames advised me to set the Trial membership as 'finite':

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-allow-free-trial-members-to-subscribe-to-paid-membership#post-76866

My question is, what happens to a member when they reach the 'finite' date? Are they deleted or are they simply deactivated? If they are simply deactivated they will not be able to use their current user name and e-mail to sign up for a paid membership as the sign up form does not allow that. How do I handle this to allow them to sign up for a paid membership with their old user name and e-mail?

I need to know exactly how to handle this or I am going to have over 100 angry women shouting at me.

• Barry

My question is, what happens to a member when they reach the 'finite' date? Are they deleted or are they simply deactivated?

The subscription they are on is removed and they effectively become "strangers". Their user account still works, they just see the same as someone who isn't logged in. If they are logged in though, and go to the registration page, they are automatically taken to the second level (select a subscription).

Accounts are only made inactive in the following circumstances:
    1. They don't complete the initial signup by selecting a subscription (and partial account creation isn't checked).
    2. An admin makes them inactive.
    3. They are on a paid subscription and request a charge-back or open a dispute with the payment processor.
    4. Their payment bounces.

(note 3 and 4 are reliant on the payment processor sending notification through to the server - PayPal does this automatically).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.