How To Convert Single Install WP Plugin to Multisite Plugin?

Hi WP Experts,

I've a WP plugin which is working for single install WP site.

How can I convert this plugin to also work on a multisite?

Is it a matter of editing the codes (I've the source code) or it requires a total rewrite/programming?

Please advise.

Best Regards, William

• nelnehal
    • The Incredible Code Injector

hey it really depends on the plugin. most plugins would work on the multisite, but each subsite will have its own settings for that plugin. simply network activate the plugin, and it would work on all sites (most of the time).

cheers

• William
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Have tried to Network Activate it but the plugin menu doesn't appear on the sub-site's dashboard.

The plugin menu only appears in the site admin's dashboard.

Is there any code in the plugin which need to be edited so that it can also work for multisite?

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

thats a difficult question without knowing which plugin you are talking about and what it does. it all depends on its code.

is it a free plugin? then give us a link. if its a paid plugin from another site, that author will know best and since its paid he should answer your question :slight_smile:

• William
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

It's a PLR WP plugin which I've got.

Now, let's assume if the plugin is coded with the intention of running on a single site install, is there any code need to be in to let it also work with multisite?

I've got that book already, thanks Phil. Will delve into plugin programming, just want to get a head start here by asking plugin coders here.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Yeah, as mentioned earlier unless we can see the code there's no way of knowing exactly what needs to be done. There are many areas where a single-site plugin may be incompatible with Multisite. A lot of the time the nuances between the two are about how *you* want it to behave as well.

I suggest you install it on Multisite, find out what isn't working and fix it. That's probably the best way to make it compatible.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.