How to create a layout template?

I am looking at your Spirit theme and I’d like to create a layout template such as single-page-gallery.php or single-page-about.php, and I cannot work out how to do it, apart from sitting down and writing few thousand lines of code.

Is there a way to export a page to turn it into a template? How is your team creating these templates?

Thank you,

Alex

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Alex,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Upfront is not like a basic WordPress theme, as it’s much more powerful with it’s unique framework, and Drag & Drop API’s. At the moment, Upfront doesn’t comes with any out of the box settings to create a new templates. Developers are aware of this, and we would be releasing a Theme builder which should be able to perform such task, and more with ease. Unfortunately I don’t have any exact ETA on when this would be released.

If you are still looking to create a custom template, would recommend you to follow this thread, the same applies for Spirit theme too:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/creating-a-template-page-in-upfront-themes

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Victor Ivanov
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Alex,

The latest version of Upfront comes with ability to create re-usable layout templates. Here's how you'd go about creating one:

– Go to New Page (or choose existing page to modify)

– Design your layout using Drag & Drop (notice how we now have Data Elements as well)

– once happy, navigate to Page Settings » Templates and click Save As

– Choose name for your template & click 'Ok'

– now to apply that template to a new page, all you need to do is navigate to Page Settings » Templates and select your created template from the drop-down.

Cheers,

Victor

• Alex
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you, but I cannot see these options. Your instructions and screen shots depicting Page Settings » Templates have things like ‘Update Template’ and ‘Save As’.

I am using Upfront 1.3.2 which I downloaded today, and I don’t have the ‘Update Template’ and ‘Save As’ options. Here’s the screen shot:

http://screencast.com/t/Vr3fobmAUaU

We’re either running different version of Upfront or there’s some special way to get these 2 options to shot up. Please advise.

Thank you,

Alex

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Alex,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

First you'll have to design the page. If it's a blank page, you'll not see that option. To check, simply add any element and save, then click Templates link.

Once you click the Save As button, you'll get the box to add new template as shown in the image above. You can then reuse this template accordingly. You can check this link for more info about latest v1.3 release: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-1-3/

If you still have any issue, please enable support access, so that we could sort this out. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.