How to create localized classifieds site

In the video on this page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/classifieds

it is mensioned: "with multi-site", you can create a whole network of localized classifieds site similar to craigslist".

How to do that? I mean, how to make classifieds that target for different cities to show on each different city?

For instance, there is a subsite for New York City, http://www.mydomain.com/nyc, and another subsite for LA, http://www.mydomain.com/la. How to set up the website to allow buddypress members to publish localized ads on a specified subsite? Subsite: http://www.mydomain.com/nyc only shows ads intended for New York City with various categories.

• aecnu

Greetings winning,

After checking out the video myself and wondering the same thing you are talking about, I did a trip over to none other then Craig's list to see how it is being done - Simple --> using IP GEO redirection.

In WordPress this can be accomplished by plugins such as Source Redirect Site plugin.

Ip redirection can also be done via htaccess file but will require a massive listing of IP's and redirects literally thousands of lines long if you want to get right down to city IP's.

Please check mark this ticket as not resolved below if you have any further questions regarding the subject matter of this particular thread.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings winning,

Well what will need to be done is to manually create in mt opinion would be the country categories, then sub categories being states or provinces, then sub categories of sub categories being cities.

Yes it will be a massive under taking, but I am not aware of any other way to do it.

However, if I were personally in charge of this operation, meaning your web site, I would start with countries of course and point the relative IP's towards those applicable main categories to get it off the ground and then work my way down.

I would use lists of countries etc. imported first into Excel and then copy and paste them directly in to the relative category tables using Navicat software and keep working forward down to states and provinces then on to cities.

I am sure that Craig's list etc. started with large categories and worked their way down - it is the only logical way it could/should be done.

Of course one could start with just one country like the US and then go state, and then cities. Europe or the EU could be done in a similar manner country, province, cities.

With the above model in mind start first with US IP's being redirected to the US of course, then once the states are added the re-directions change to account for them, and so on and so on.

Undoubtedly this project will be massive and a lot of work, but with a few tools like Navicat could sure help do some heavy lifting for you.

• aecnu

Greetings winning,

Currently we have (or at least I have) been working this from the angle of one site (not MultiSite) at this time while considering using categories as the defining separation between countries and states.

However, using MultiSite would be a cleaner way to divide things up and to gain some SEO juice at the same time.

For example: You have your main domain as the master directory of the classifieds section or "Home" --> http://www.maindomain.com possibly even using the Directory plugin.

Within you then have a main category named United States and a sub category of the states in which all states are listed - when they click on a link to a state it takes them to a sub domain for example New York which directs them to --> newyork.maindomain.com in which classifieds are on.

Then the categories in this sub domain are lists of the cities with the applicable advertisements/classifieds within that city.

Do you see one possible flow scenario from this?

Please advise.

• winning

Hi Joe,

Yes, I like the multiSite you described.

The next question is:
    once I set up all the subsites for each city, say, New York City, newyork.maindomain.com, how to have people (members on buddypress, I guess) to submit/publish the classifieds to each sub site?

For instance, Tom is a member of this WPMU+buddypress+Classified plugin, he wants to list a room for rent in New York City, and list a car for sale in Jersey city. How to set up the website to show Tom's 2 ads on 2 different subsites? I mean to allow all the buddypress member to post classifieds in different cities (cities = sub sites, in this case), not just the super admin.

• aecnu

Greetings winning,

Great question!

I could actually see Tom being able to sell his two different products in two different locations, but for him to not have to register again in the different sub domain site it would all have to be under one roof unless of course there was a way for him with one log in move freely between all sub domains - then we have a different story.

Using User Role Editor plugin may help to set up a user role that can traverse all sub domains. It would have to be tested though for this specific feature or purpose.

I do not think having cities as sub sites is such a good idea - I envision them as being similar to categories within a states sub domain.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.