how to create plugin packages within a multisite

How to create plugin packages for each site within a multisite.

In other words I don’t want all plugin available to all.

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Shahram Sedehi,

hope you’re having a beautiful day and thanks for reaching us!

This is mainly based on the nature of the plugins that you’re using in your multisite installation.

Basically this comes down to three different approaches.

There’re plugins, like Defender that are only network activated with only network settings.

Then, there are plugins which can be network activated, so they are available in all sub sites, but they keep their settings in a per-subsite basis, so each subsite should declare the settings needed. This could be a SMTP plugin, so that every subsite admin can setup his/her distinct settings for an outgoing mail server.

And finally, there are plugins, just like the previous SMTP plugin I mentioned as an example, which can be activated per subsite instead of network wide (so this make it available only in these subsites with distinct settings again).

As far as I understand, you need your plugins to be used like the third way I just described, so you don’t have to network enable them, but enable them in a per-subsite basis.

You should install and test how the desired plugins are being activated and used in a MU install. As you might find out that some of them cannot be setup in a per-subsite basis, you should check for alternatives.

Hope that was some help, feel free to post back here if more help is required (or in case I miss something badly here!) :slight_smile:

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there,

So you mean I have to install, let’ say “forum” + Directory+ buddypress+ etc plugin for each site that buys my special plugin package? Is there any other way?

Basically, you should use plugins that can be activated and have their settings in a per-site basis.

The ones that you’ve mentioned can indeed work this way.

can I achieve this by restricting each site admin user access to certain features (plugins)?

like only access to forum, but for classified plugin to be enabled they need to upgrade their account.

This can be achieved by using our Pro Sites plugin. This means that you monetize these subsites though, meaning you can’t set them up for free but as a paid service.

As you can see in it’s usage page here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#product-usage there’s already an add-on in place called “Premium Plugins” which allows you to create plugin packages only available to selected Pro Site levels.

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Shahram!

The “Pro Site” level are to be assigned to the site and not a user. On Multisite the user that creates the site is an admin of that site. She/he can either select Pro Site level during site creation or you can manually assign a level to the site by going to:

Network Admin -> Sites -> All sites page

and clicking on “Manage” link next to the site name.

Best regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Shahram!

The “Transfer Pro status to Blog ID:” let’s you do exactly what it says :slight_smile: For example:

– a sub-site “test.yoursite.com” (id: 5) was created as “Platinium” level

– a sub-site “free.yoursite.com”( id:10) was created as s basic (non Pro Site) page

Using this option you can put id “10” into the field and use “transfer” option to make site “free.yoursite.com” a “Platinium” level website while the “test.yoursite.com” will become an expired Pro Site.

This can be handy if for example one of your users created the site and then instead of buying new Pro Sites level he/she just want’s to close the first site and start a new one without having to start a new subscription.

As for “Activation Key” filed and “activate blog” button. I’m not quite sure what are you referring to. Could you share some screenshot of these elements with me? I believe I’m just missing something obvious so that would help a lot :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Shahram!

Thanks for explanation. There’s indeed an “Activation key” field there, I forgot about it, I’m sorry.

This is used along with “Manual Payments” gateway. Usually, the Stripe or PayPal payments are used and these are “automated” so the user selects “level”, makes payment and site gets activated because payment gateway confirms the payment.

With “Manual Payments” there’s no way to automatically check payments because there may be many different ways to get paid, e.g. cash, wire transfer etc. The “Manual Payments” gateway is basically just an information to the client what she/he should do to make payment.

The workflow is like this in that case:

– user signs up for selected plan and gets payment instruction

– site is created and setup but not active (it’s actually not available for any actions via dashboard)

– you, as a super-admin, get an e-mail containing and “Activation key”

– once you see that the payment has been made you go to “Pro Sites -> Manage” page, put the activation key from that e-mail to the “Activation Key” field and click “Activate blog”.

The site gets activated and available for a user.

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.