How To Create Schedule Similar to Live Support

I understand the the Live Support schedule here is generated by a "customized version" of the Events+ plugin. At first glance, it looks like that offers much more that what I need to do...which is create a page with a schedule of times that our hosts will be staffing a live telephone support hotline.

The week would show like on the Live Support page, and each "cell" would show the time, host name, and (optionally) avatar of host, when someone is available. And I like the green dot indicating the session is live now.

Before I install and start configuring, I wonder if anyone could suggest a simpler solution, or provide a better recommendation. Would Appointments+ be better?

I'm just trying to avoid manually coding the schedule, preferably with some sort of interface for easily managing times and hosts.

On a related note, I wonder if there is any way to render Events+ shortcodes on the main site, if the plugin (and schedule) resides on a subsite.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and direction!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jcnjr,

Hope you're doing well today!

There is actually not really anything different about the backend functionality of Events+ for that. We just use recurring events for each time slot :slight_smile: that event has the chat shortcode in it.

The main difference, as you have probably guessed, is the overall styling. I have attached a screenshot of the backend for one of my recurring chat events just to illustrate.

You should be able to create a somewhat similar calendar with the same setup.

The green dot actually indicates the category, not the status of the section. So green for "Themes and Design" then purple for "General WordPress and BuddyPress". Not quite as fancy as you thought :p

On a related note, I wonder if there is any way to render Events+ shortcodes on the main site, if the plugin (and schedule) resides on a subsite.

You could try network activating Events+ then using the post indexer to index all events. That should make them accessible by the main site; however, it may take some further development to get them looking how you would like.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions here. More than happy to help.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• jcnjr

Thanks for the direction! @Tyler Postle

I presume the calendar of recurring events in my first screenshot is inserted via an Events+ shortcode, with the links to the chat page only being active during the event time. Right? I could see that being helpful for directing our callers to an "event" page with helpful links or FAQs.

You could try network activating Events+

I don't think I'd want to network activate it and confuse bloggers or have them creating events and asking for support about that.

I wonder if your suggestion would work Events+ was individually activated only the two sites.

• Tyler Postle

Hey jcnjr,

Hope you're doing well today!

I believe the calendar display itself has been customized. I can't actually see on the backend how that page was setup, I can find out if you're still interested though :slight_smile:

As for using the post indexer when the plugin is active on just a couple sites, that should still work. Good idea. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Hope you had a great weekend!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.