How to create wiki pages allowing frontend uploads/posting

Hey guys,want to build a number of different pages on my site that allow my colleagues to upload/post content from the frontend.
What's the best way to do this? (I am relatively new to Wordpress so idiots guide please!)

• Ken Kimbrell

Hello Jon-

Welcome to our community. I have a really great post I recommend you read. It shows the best plugins to use for posting on the front-end. Each plugin has their own functionality, so without knowing the scope of your project, it will be hard to determine which plugin is best suited for you.

Please go to 7 WordPress Plugins to Let Users Submit Content from the Frontend and see if that gives you a good start. Happy Developing!

Let me know how this works for you!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

• Ken Kimbrell

Hello Jon-

I would need a little more information, such as what theme you are using. It is possible to apply different headings on separate pages, and depending on the functionality of the plugin you downloaded. It should be possible to add shortcode in individual pages. Creating your desired result. You can create a landing page that has two menu links pointing the user to the Primary Exam, Secondary Exam.

If you grant us temporary support access to your website so we can have a better look of your setup and settings, I could look into it more for you. You can grant us access via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin, there's no need to share credentials. Here's our detailed documentation page about it:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

We'll wait for your confirmation reply here, as we don't get any notification when a member is granting us support access. We could then dig in and further investigate this!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

• Ken Kimbrell

Hello Jon-

As I am looking at the plugin you chose. I don't feel this one will be adequate to what you are trying to achieve. I do need to know a little more information of what your overall scope of the project is.

From what I see after more inspection. A menu link of just "Exams" is the way to go. The reason for that is putting a front-end submission on two different pages is not necessary as it is the same form. What is important is having a front-end submission form that has the option of students uploading files to the site and choosing the category "Primary Exam" or "Secondary Exam". They should also be prompted to input a subject and possibly small note about the files they are uploading, or even a note back to you. If you could elaborate a little more on what you are trying to achieve, I would be more equipped to help you reach your desired result.

I look forward to helping you come up with a path to resolution :slight_smile:

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

• Ken Kimbrell

Hello Jon-

I made a few changes to your site, if you had a chance to take a look. It looked like your background image was tiled and I felt your overall goal was to make it a cover background. So I went ahead and made the changes. I hope you don't mind. I also noticed that the menu had sub-menus but there was not an icon indicating to users that it had sub-menus. So I went ahead and added a down chevron and on the exams link an upload icon. I tested several plugins to achieve your desired result, it does seem I was unable to find a plugin that offers that level of submission without purchasing a premium plugin. Allowing users to submit files to your server is extremely dangerous so there is a lot of precaution taken when developing a plugin that can support that type of file upload.

There is a couple workarounds that you could consider:

1. the students could just copy & paste the exam questions & answers into the text field, then upload a post titling it with the subject of the exam. You would be able to edit the post to your liking on the back-end and you could choose to moderate all posts before they reach your server live for all to see.

2. This is your safest option and will prevent any malicious uploads to your server. They can upload google drive links in the text area field and anyone who has the link, meaning anyone who is viewing that post can have access to the file. You can keep a repository that way, unfortunately this means if the student is ever to delete their file off of google drive then that would put holes in your repository. A work around that would take it a step further and as students post the google drive links, you can then download the file and upload the file through wordpress yourself. That would save it into your database and you can then edit the post with a direct link to the file source that resides on your server.

You can view this tutorial on Google Drive

Only other option would be to purchase the premium version of the plugin I downloaded to your site and allow users on the front-end to upload docs like word,excel & pdfs to your server and manage them that way.

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

• Ken Kimbrell

Jon-

It will be at your discretion to decide if that plugin fits your needs to the point of purchasing a pro level subscription. I can merely make suggestions and point you in the right direction :slight_smile:

The plugin does have the ability to restrict submissions to logged in users only and you are able to view and manage all posts from your wordpress dashboard.

Go to the left pane and find Posts > All Posts and you will be able to manage all student submissions from there. You can also use filters, such as categories to search through specific posts.

See visual representation below:

I am still not sure as to whether the plugin allows the submitted content to remain within the post or if you will still manually have to add the server reference link into the post from where the content resides within the server. I would imagine they have a way to keep the submitted data together making it easier to manage.

It is possible because they are custom posts, that the plugin has its own post options. So, I would have to take a look into it further once implemented to further assist you with achieving your desired functionality.

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.