[how to] Customize the signup process

Hi,

When people signup to my site, it ask for :

Username

Password

*A password will be e-mailed to you.

1. How can change that for people to choose their own password right away ?

2. I also want new users to be held for moderation & approved by the admin : How can I do this ?

3. I would love to add a 3rd field when people signup and wondering if there’s a doc somewhere that can show me step-by-step guide for doing so ?

Username

Email

Your current ID <- what I want to add

*and display the text of this field on the profile page

Thanks for any tips you may have

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi Steven,

You can try to use BuddyPress and its Extended Profiles – this will cover the password and additional fields. You can add them in Profile fields directly from your Dashboard without coding.

You can use BuddyPress only for registration purposes.

But I have a question: this ID field? What kind of ID should it be? Should user put there some random number, or it's something they already have?

For moderation of users you can use this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-registration-options/

Let me know how this works for you.

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Steven
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Kasia,

The ID field is for something they already have, YES !

A plugin for this & plugin for that … Isn’t affecting the performance of the site ?

I understand what you said but isn’t another way … or a better way ?

Thanks so much

• Steven

Hi,

Still doing tests and can not achieve what I need …

I’ve been told : “the normal sign up process is that, the wp user and password is needed in order to register. Buddypress column is only for the profile section, not user data.”

1. … Is this correct ?

Now, I want to make some changes but can not locate the “Extended Profiles”

Looks like Buddy Press did not created a new section in the admin

All I see is > Settings > BuddyPress > but NO “Extended Profiles”

2. … Where it is ? :slight_smile:

Thanks

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi Steven,

I’ve been told : “the normal sign up process is that, the wp user and password is needed in order to register. Buddypress column is only for the profile section, not user data.”

I don’t think that’s true. Well, I’m looking at registration on my site and there is only user name and email fields. And quick googling “wordpress register user with password” returns scripts and plugins for that.

Now, I want to make some changes but can not locate the “Extended Profiles”

Looks like Buddy Press did not created a new section in the admin

Am I correct and you did find those fields in Users -> profile fields? I was checking on your site and you have some fields there.

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Steven

User > Profile Fields = Thank you !

For moderation of users you can use this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-registration-options/

I did installed it and it was working fine, when using the BuddyPress registration page.

Now that I’m using the membership2 registration page : A new user create an account ang go straight to the protected page … Is this plugin conflicting with another plugin situation again ?

Even worst : All of my pages are protected and if they click on a page …

… they’ll end up on the /protected-content/ page where it says :

“You must be login” … But they are !?!

Also, it’s using the default message, when it should be a custom message.

So the question is : Can I use this “moderation plugin”

While using the membership2 plugin ?

Thanks

• Steven

Well … I first installed the BuddyPress plugin so I can customize a field but the Branding plugin helped me achieve the desired goal so looks like I don’t need the Buddy Press …

Then, I installed another plugin in (BP Registration) for validating my users but despite that plugin does the job well : the auto-messages are not working … and may create a conflict with the auto-message on Membership2 …

What about : Delete those 2 BuddyPress plugin and find an alternative for validating my new users ? All I want is validating my users before they enter the members area.

I’ve been trying to achieve things and all my initiatives leads nowhere so I am now thinking that there must be another way … a better way … Thanks for showing me this way :slight_smile:

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Steven,

Ok, what about different approach? Create the membership and set it to “private”. Protect content with this membership. When users will register, they will not see this membership on the list. So they will not be able to join and get to protected content.

And because you want to give them access – instead of validation, you can just give a membership.

Please, let me know what do you think.

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Steven

Thanks Kasia,

Great tip but I managed it differently by creating a /almost/ page where i redirect new users after registration … with a restricted access so they don’t see the items in the menu.

That way, they can not click anywhere and be victim of the redirections & /protected-content/ stuff.

Which still gave me the power of validating them & use the auto-messages coming with the plugin … (*there was a conflict … the BP registration message now works since I desactivated M2 add-on)

Again, thanks for your help !

It’s been quite an adventure & I’m almost there :slight_smile:

*message solved (i don’t see the option of closing this topic myself)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.