how to customize TinyMCE wordpress' plugin?

Hi, I'm trying to customize the theme on my wp site backend coz I want to create a custom dashboard for my client.

I'm having troubles with the TinyMCE editor because wordpress has his own plugin associated with, which displays the media buttons right above the editor. (you know, "upload/insert: media - video - etc.)

I want to get rid of some of those buttons, keep only the "add media" buttons to let the user upload the pictures in the post, and change its icon.

a picture of what I'm referring to in case I've explained my self badly

wordpress' tinymce plugin is in:

wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress

take a look in there. it's a javascript file and I'm not big on js so I need some help interpreting the code and removing all the buttons but the media one. and changing the icon.

Can someone help?

Thank you guys,

Michel

• aecnu

Greetings M1chel,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

What version of WordPress are you running?

Those graphics were done away with awhile back and only 1 exists in modern day WordPress.

Upgrade to WordPress 3.3.1 you should be good to go.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• ThePath

Hi M1chel

Im sure the icon will reside in the images folder in the admin. Hang on let me have a quick look. Yup as I thought: /wp-admin/images/media-button.png

Replace that and your good to go. :slight_smile:

Ahhh the wonders of Firefox and Firebug....so easy to find file paths etc :smiley:

Also here is the buttons CSS:

.wp-media-buttons img {
        padding: 0 4px;
        vertical-align: middle;
    }

Cheers