How to delay account creation until after payment received?

I am using Membership pro with Authorize.net as single gateway. I have tested both the traditional and pop-up sign up forms and have the same issue. The issue is that an account is created before payment is received. I get that there is a BuddyPress/Wordpress registration that has to occur, but this should either occur once payment is successfully received using a one-step signup form. Or the account can be created after payment is received using a two-step process. I have looked through your FAQs and do not see a way to delay the account creation or to switch account creation until after subscription is successful. Please advise how I can do this so I don't have "stranger" accounts with limited access that haven't paid. Your current process is a customer service nightmare trying to explain to these people that they are in some sort of sign up purgatory.

Michael Bissett

Hey @Jeff, welcome to the WPMU DEV Community, hope you're doing well today!

The modifying of this wouldn't exactly be simple (not to mention the fact that the plugin code would need to be altered, which would be lost on an update to the plugin), but may I suggest an alternative method instead, so that your members aren't lost in "sign up purgatory"?

What if you were to create a default subscription (set up with the Visitors level for an Indefinite period) to be applied to users upon signup?

I've already created such a subscription for you (called Visitor Subscription), all you'd need to do would be to go to:

Membership -> Options -> General

And inside the "Default subscription for registered users" section, you'd set "Use subscription" to the visitor subscription I created for you.

Once there, even if a user happens to jump out of the signup process prematurely, they wouldn't lose access to other parts of your site (though they would only have the privileges that a visitor has, so they wouldn't have access to premium content).

How does that sound?

Please advise,
    Michael