How to Disable Registration completely?

Hi. At present we do not want anyone to be registering for the site. So I have disabled registration in my settings, as well as putting in a captcha (Sweet Captcha plugin) in order to deter the spammers.

However spammers are still being able to register and they are adding up quicker than Wanguard can get rid. Of course I would of liked to have used Anti Splog, but it seems to require Multisite.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can stop these bots/users from being able to register even when I have disabled it? I get a new one about every 10 minutes landing in my email.

Regards,
Ashley

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Ashley Pearson,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Just to confirm this is a single site install, running 3.8 (or a previous version?) Are you using any registration plugins or membership plugins, or just the standard registration, wp-login.php?action=register

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Ashley Pearson
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello Jack, sorry for the slow reply.

We are using the latest version of Wordpress. (3.8.1 just updated) We were running registration plugins such as Membership from WPMU DEV however these have all been disabled. I do however have Buddypress version 1.6 installed (our theme relies on it, can't upgrade, long story). perhaps registration is coming in through that and overriding the settings I have made?

There doesn't seem to be any other plugins.

That link redirects to /register/ and says registration is currently disabled.

Ash

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Ashley Pearson,

Thanks for the link, I've taken a look and all your registrations are disabled correctly.

This only leaves one option for them to register and that would be through some inject script or similar perhaps from a theme or a plugin, or a plugin that encodes it code.

How many new registrations do you get per hour?

Do you have WordFence installed? If you do, does that report any file changes?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.