How to disregard shipping for some products?

I have some products that will have a shipping component and others that will not. How do I tag so that shipping is ignored for that product?

• mort3n

Hi drfingerless,

Thanks for posting a good question :slight_smile:

I didn't find a solution by browsing the instructions and the plugin interface.

If a solution is not found by someone else, then I encourage you to turn this into a feature request. It makes a lot of sense to me.

One temporary workaround could be to set shipping to None and then add Extra shipping for the products that do require shipping. If it's more relevant for your site I seem to recall that you could set some standard shipping and then add a negative Extra shipping to bring the total shipping to zero for relevant products.

Hope to see this solved!

Cheers
    Mort3n

• drfingerless

mort3n, unfortunately the situation is too complicated as the products that do require shipping added have different amounts added depending on where the item is to be shipped. So it is not possible to add negative shipping in a way that will always neutralise the shipping amount appropriately. But thanks for the creative thinking!

hpidriver, I did think that this might be possible but I can't work out how to achieve what seems like quite a neat solution. When you say 'tag' a product as digital download are you suggesting that this can be 'flagged', rather than tagged? I don't see any 'This product is a digital download' checkbox anywhere. Or just by adding a digital download tag could this result be achieved? I can't see how this can happen without writing additional code.

• aecnu

Greetings drfingerless,

Thank you for the clarification and it indeed seems that their is plenty of help being offered here and Kudos to those members for trying.

The problem here is mixing apples with oranges i.e. physical products with shipping and those without so to speak or different ways of calculating shipping.

The one workaround here without custom coding is to put in a download URL which indeed makes the system think it is a download and not a regular product negating shipping and the download URL can be just a picture of the item or it manual or a message of some type etc.

Otherwise custom coding it is since making this a feature request one could say the selection already has no shipping available. On the other hand - why not just add the different shipping item via the extra shipping field.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• drfingerless

Hi Aecnu, I think your suggestion of adding the digital download field looks like it might be the right one for me. The only implication is that I will have to work my way down the purchase path to remove any references to 'you can download your digital product from here' etc so that the customer does not actually think that they have purchased some new kind of furniture item that they can download over the internet!

• aecnu

Greetings drfingerless,

The only implication is that I will have to work my way down the purchase path to remove any references to 'you can download your digital product from here' etc so that the customer does not actually think that they have purchased some new kind of furniture item that they can download over the internet!

No doubt about it ... lol ... someone would be bound to try it :wink:

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.