how to do it: wizard so users setup their own sites

I hope you have a solution as I know you have a lot of experience with this thing:

Currently we have a WordPress multi-site where we sell sites for a startup/monthly fee. We have created themes with settings/fields such as “Name” “logo” “address” “cities” and so on. Now we collect this information on signup and manually transfer the data to the backend of the site and launch it.

How can we eliminate this silly/duplicate work? Is there a plugin / integration / system that can capture this information, create a new site instance, activate the user’s chosen theme, colors and input the values the user entered (name, etc) into the proper wordpress settings fields?

Thanks!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi virtualresults,

There’s not a plugin I’m aware of that does all of that specifically. New Blog Templates might help here though.

It works with the Multi-Domains plugin so you could possibly present your users with a choice of a sub-sites based on a Multi-Domain, where that multi-domain site will have a template that helps them get started easily.

Other than that, it sounds like a bit of custom work would be needed. I’ll ask a few other guys around here if they’re aware of anything more specific though.

-David

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey virtualresults.

I think because so many themes do things differently with different table names, columns, data then there may not be one solution out there to handle this. I could be wrong but it is not something I have come across before.

We have created themes

If you have created all of your own themes and you kept the structure the same with the same content in the database (same format), ie when you change a theme it continues to use the previous themes set-up. Then the battle I suppose is half won.

To get that data submitted on registration then you would need something custom. Because the themes are created by you, it would just be a case of getting that data from a registration form submitted to the database in the same format and to the same tables which the theme will take from.

I hope that makes sense?

There are some registration form plugins out there which could work but I doubt without customisation that they would.

Sorry I couldn’t help further on this one. Maybe someone else whom comes across this thread would have a better idea….

• WP Tech
    • The Incredible Code Injector

This site has great software to run the site. I guess I’m just stuck on how to sell/launch the darn thing without a ton of correspondence and manual involvement.

True custom work is unappealing to me … I wonder if there is some application / script sold for this purpose that could be customized?

Thanks for any help!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Thanks virtualresults for the kind words.

I’m not aware of any application or script which could specifically do what you wish. Again though, there could well be somewhere.

WordPress has a huge following with thousands and themes and plugins, its hard to know of every single one and its capabilities. Vetrans whom have been around WP since the beginning will still get the occasional surprise. :slight_smile:

The following thread won’t solve your problem, but it might give you some ideas of how to achieve what you want:

http://www.cozmoslabs.com/1012-wordpress-user-registration-template-and-custom-user-profile-fields/

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.