How to edit Admin CSS files to personalize users' admin panels

I received some great instructions from a previous post, except I was stuck on a step:

1. Create a new store sub-site that will be your template site with all the product categories that you want your users to have access to.

2. Install the Admin CSS plugin and add the following code to it:

#product_category-add-toggle, #mp-meta-shipping, #mp_tax_rate_div, .mp_inv_col {
display: none;

The problem is I don't know which file to edit within the plugin. There are about 5 files to choose from.

Thank you,

Tony

• Patrick

Hi there @Tony

I hope you had a great weekend!

Are you referring to this plugin?
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/add-admin-css/screenshots/

If so, then you don't need to edit any files. Simply add that CSS to the "Admin CSS" area and click "Save Changes".

Your new CSS should be applied instantly to the admin of the site.

I also believe you are doing this on a template site to be used with New Blog Templates, correct?

If so, please ensure that you do indeed check the box next to "What To Copy To New Blog?" so that the plugin is also activated on every site created using that template.

However, I do see an issue with this approach in that admins of those sites will likely have access to the Admin CSS settings on their sites, and can thus modify things if they want to.

To get around that, you may want to create your own plugin that you can then network-activate (or upload to wp-content/mu-plugins so it is automatically active on all sites).

For example, this code added to a text file and saved as custom-admin-css.php (or any other name you prefer) and uploaded to your site would get the job done without allowing your users to fiddle with it:

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: My Custom Admin CSS
    Description: A plugin for my custom admin CSS
    */

add_action( 'admin_head', 'my_custom_admin_styles' );
    function my_custom_admin_styles() {
    ?>
    <style>
    #product_category-add-toggle, #mp-meta-shipping, #mp_tax_rate_div, .mp_inv_col {
    display: none;
    }
    </style>
    <?php
    }

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.