How to edit text on sign up pages

I wonder if you could just point me in the right direction on something. I am trying to edit the copy on the sign up pages for the listing directory (on this page http://prelaunch.lovenew.co.uk/listings/signin/?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fprelaunch.lovenew.co.uk%2Flistings%2Fsignup%2F)

I found the file in the FTP /subdomains/prelaunch/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/directory/ui-front/general, but when I save it back there, it doesn't change the text.

Am I doing something wrong?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @clare_bradbury

I hope you are well today.

I have just been looking into this and the text is in that same location in the files page-signin.php and page-signup.php But changing these isn't working correct?

In that case you may want to make a translation, in directory/languages and edit the .po file to have the text change there, using a tool such as poedit :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• wordev
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi clare i am doing really the same in membership, and at the begining i had the same problem.
    when you save your file in poedit it creates 2 files, one with extension.po and another with extension .mo. this is the one that i up to the server(.mo)
    And make sure that when you save your file translated in poedit, is saved like this
    "nameofthefile-es_ES" in my case is "es" because i am from spain and i want the translation in spanish. It will depend in which language you want the translation
    I hope it will help you

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Clare ,

Looks like @wordev beat me to it :slight_smile:

Yes, try creating the .po and .mo file, and name them as set out above :slight_smile: This should then work hopefully.
    I also found these which may help with this https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/translating-directory-plugin and https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/trying-to-translate-directory-plugin

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• clare_bradbury
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok, so I tested the translation on one line, saved it as dr_text_domain-en_EN.mo and .po and uploaded them to the languages folder on the server. I deleted the previous ones, but the text still seems to be exactly the same! I'm sure it's me - but don't know what I'm doing wrong. So frustrating..

• wordev
    • The Crimson Coder

I think the problem is that you have inevented the name of the file "dr_text_domain".
    I dont know in directory. in membership the name of the file is membership.po so i saved the file translated as membership-es_ES. and poedit create for me both
    membership-es_ES.po
    membership-es_ES.mo
    and upload ONLY the .mo one

Try it

• clare_bradbury
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi, thanks for your help.

I didn't change the name of the file that I edited - I just added -en_EN to the end. I've tried everything now and it won't change. I tried it all over again and just uploaded the .mo file.

Is there not another way to edit the text on pages?

• wordev
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi clare.
    Maybe sometimes, it happen to me that i translate something and then i go to my site to see the changes and nothing happen. and in my case is because there are more than one sentence or word ( the one that you want translate) and you dont translate the one that you want, but another.
    so you have to look for with CTRL+F in po edit if there are more word or sentences exactly the same the one you are trying to translate, and translate all of them
    Maybe thats the reason
    Try it

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Clare @clare_bradbury

Sorry to hear this still isn't working for you. How did you create the po file and mo file? Both would be needed for this to work. Can you take me through step by step what you are doing to translate please?

It might be a caching issue, could you try with a different browser once the translation has been completed please? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• clare_bradbury
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Jack

Thank you, ok, I downloaded the file from here /subdomains/prelaunch/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/directory/languages - it is called dr_text_domain.po

I saved it to my desktop and opened it with poedit. Then I found the line I wanted to edit (in this case it was the set featured image and remove featured image line) and put the translation in. I have attached the screenshot of the result after I saved it.

First, I then added -en_EN to the end of the file name but before the extension, and uploaded it back up into the same folder I downloaded the original file from, but deleted the original file. I have tried uploading both the .mo and .po files and also just having one or the other and neither way seems to work. I refreshed my browser and have tried a different one too :slight_frown:

Is it something obvious to you?

Thanks
    Clare

• wordev
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi clare
    when you say "but deleted the original file" ar you refereing "dr_text_domain.po".

I dont do it.

in may case i leave membership.po ( the original one) and then attached membership-es_ES.po and membership-es_ES.mo.

maybe that´s the reason...

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Clare @clare_bradbury

I hope you are well today.

Thanks for the additional information, You would want to keep the original translation files and add yours in, rather than replacing the current ones, in another thread, our Lead developer on this, said this about translating Directory.

There are three translation files you need to do for Directory depending on what's installed. the dr_text_domain.po, the en_EN.po file for the Directory default theme if you are using it. and the custompress.po for CustomPress.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• clare_bradbury
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi. I have tried that..

I'm not using the directory default theme and don't think I need anything in the custompress translated, so I have done what you said re the dr_text_domain.po file and its still not working.

Here is a screenshot of the files just to make sure. I've also attached a screenshot of the translation part that shoudl be changing.

Re the dr_text_domain.po file - should I also make the translation here and save it? Or leave that in its original state and just save the -en_EN file with the translation?

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Have you set your WP_LANG define in wp-config.php to "en-EN" ? You have to tell wordpress to make the translation. Also it's more common to use the standardized en-US, en-GB, en-AU, en-NZ. en-EN is not a standard locale. There just string matches so it should work but best to stick with standards particularily if another plugin is picking up on the language files.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.