How to enable languages in header of my website?

I saw the instructions on uploading WPMU-DEV language pack and successfully transferred the languages folder from my harddrive via Filezilla to wp-content in my website files. Now I am stuck on how to "enable" the language pack. Here are the remaining instructions and my questions on each:

To enable languages on website:

1) Open your wp-config.php file in a text editor and search for:

define ('WPLANG', ' ');

My question: where do I find the folder "wp-config.php"? I don't see it anywhere.

2) Edit this line according to the .mo file you’ve just downloaded, e.g. for the Portuguese spoken in Brazil you must add:

define ('WPLANG', 'pt_BR');

My question: Do I have to do this for each and every language? All 75 languages?

3) Note that if the .mo and .po files don’t exist for a language code called for in wp-config.php then there is no error message, but the code is still used in language_attributes(). This is useful for those of us whose language is similar enough to en_US not to require translation, but who don’t want en-US as the language tag in the blog, instead wanting some other variant of English. For example:

define ('WPLANG', 'en_GB');

My question: Is this optional?

4) Once you’ve added your language code, save the file.

5) Upload the modified wp-config.php file into the WordPress root directory.

My question: Do I drag the file using Filezilla? How do I find the WP root directory?

6) Open your browser and go to your WordPress site. It should now display in the newly-installed language. Along with a list of all added languages in the general settings area

Request: a screenshot of this would be nice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Francis,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions! :slight_smile:

1 & 2) You'll find the wp-config.php using FTP or cPanel > file manager, it'll be located in the root of your domain which if you have no add-on domains would be public_html/

You only define the main language you want to use the site in, you don't need to add the define for every language. :slight_smile:

3) Yes, that is entirely optional and not a requirement. The plugin would still work without any issues.

4&5, You move the languages to your wp-content/languages folder, that languages folder should contain all 75 languages, you can do this using Filezila and the path should be public_html/wp-content/languages :slight_smile:

6), In your network admin > settings, you'll see a dropdown box with all the languages and in a single site install, in wp-admin > settings, you'll see a dropdown will all the languages, any issues, we're here to help.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.