How to export Upfront child theme customisations

I can't get it, I installed Upfront + Builder on WP1, made some customisations. Now I want to import exactly the same setup on WP2 (same server other folder). To do that I also installed Upfront + Builder on WP2..
1st - on WP1 I dont get the "Export" or "Download" command.. so I downloaded manually the theme folder and uploaded it on WP2
2nd - on WP2 the modified theme is now present, but all the customisations are missing

Where are the customisation stored? In the DB?
Is there an easy way to transfer all that stuff from one WP to another?

Rupok

Hi Raphael Cornuz,

Is there an easy way to transfer all that stuff from one WP to another?

Yes, and that way is very easy. Please go to "Dashboard > Upfront > Builder" section in your wp1 site. There you will see your edited theme. When you mouse over on that theme, you will see an Export icon. Click on that icon and your customized theme will be saved on your computer. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

Now login to your wp2 site and go to "Dashboard > Appearance > Themes" section and click on "Add New" button, on the next screen, click on "Upload Theme" button and browse the zip file you just downloaded from wp1 site. Click "Install Now" button and you are done. Your modified custom theme from wp1 site will be activated on wp2 site with all your customizations.

Please let us know if you have any confusion or if you are stuck at any point. We will be glad to assist further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Raphael Cornuz

I followed exactly the steps, but it doesn't work.
    Let me explain.. on WP1 we installed PANINO and we have made a lot of modifications directly through Upfront (content position, content itself (homepage), presentation (colors/fonts/..)).

It looks like this.. 1st screenshot
    And when I import the theme on WP2 it looks like 2nd screenshot.. no data, no customisation, the blank original theme in fact.

I saw that 1) Upfront makes a child theme for customisations but it's not what is exported at it seems.. 2) special content (whole homepage, or 2nd column on a page) are stored separatly of standard WP content.. in Custom fields I guess..

How should I backup and replicate exact state of my customer site????

Rupok

Hi Raphael Cornuz,

we have made a lot of modifications directly through Upfront

I understand your situation now. Let me describe.

Suppose you have a regular WordPress theme and you created and customized a page with your desired content and images. Now if you copy that theme to another WordPress site, that page and modification won't be available in your new site. Because themes don't contain contents.

Upfront themes work in the same way. The pages and posts or other elements you have customized through the Upfront Editor, won't be exported when you export your theme because those are content.

Now in a normal theme, you can't pass your content. But if you edit your theme with Upfront *Builder*, then you can export your customization. That's because, with Upfront Builder, you don't actually customize content, rather you customize layouts for different pages. And layout designs are part of the theme and get exported with the theme.

So if you need to export some pages (suppose four) you customized, please create 4 single page layout with your desired design, save and then export. All these layouts will be available in your new site. And when creating a page in your new site, you can choose any of those layouts to make that page looking exactly like your layout.

Or, you can simply clone your site to another site with plugins like Duplicator.

I believe, these will make the idea clear to you. If you still have any confusion, please let us know. We will be glad to help further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Raphael Cornuz

The location were page customisations are stored is not clear.

Ok following your explanation, I made a complete backup (WMPL Snapshot) of WP1 (content, plugins, everything). On WP2, I have restored this backup.. All posts/pages content are available, but when I diplay the page, only the "text" is the same, but not styles, no custom picture..

Where are these customisation stored? How can I backup/restore them?

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Raphael,

To go straight, how to export upfront theme customisations to builder theme customisations ?

You can't. What was done in Upfront Editor is kept in database. Builder operates on files. If you customized theme in Upfront editor all your customization is in database. When you open the same theme in Builder it will open its "file" version without your changes made in Editor.
    If you want to move theme made that way to another site - then you will need to copy also database.

Builder is created for making custom themes in it - so those customization you made, would need to be made first in Builder, then you could move that theme to another site and then edit in Editor. Not the other way around.

Let me know if you have more questions.

kind regards,
    Kasia