How to force renewal emails to be sent out?

Hi Guys,

We have an issue in that we imported a bunch of members into the site. All users were meant to expire on the same date at the end of March and it appears that the renewal emails have not been sent out.

I think it's because they were all assigned to a subscription level that was set to be "Serial", when this should have been set to "Finite".

My question now is how best to deal with this considering that almost all users should have expired, they need to be notified that they have expired and that they should make a payment.

Is there a way to automatically mark all the relevant users as expired and the system to send the usual expiry email out?

Do you have any general advice on how best to handle this situation?

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @bigspring

I hope you are well today, sorry to hear about the problems you've been having.

That would indeed be the problem that they was set to "Serial".

One way this could be done is if you moved them all to a different subscription level and then in membership > communications set up a new email, and say that they will expire in 1 day, but there's two problems doing it this way, 1: All subscribers would have to be moved, they then would not have the correct payment info on account: 2: It could mass confusion upon your users which is never good.

What I would personally do is install our e-newsletter plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-newsletter/ and send a email to everyone that way, detailing what happened (they may still need to re-create their membership if you want them on a finite membership). But this way you could send it to everyone effected and create from your WordPress Admin.

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• bigspring

Thanks for the advice Jack.

I like the sound of option 1, and I don't think the two disadvantages would be a worry for us. The users were imported so there is no payment history for them, and they're all set to expire on the same day (a day which they won't know) so I don't think there will be too much confusion.

Some more questions:

1) Because all the users were imported, their Gateway is shown as being "admin". Will I also need to move this across to the actual payment gateway we have setup (ie. Paypal)?

2) Is there a way to bulk move them to a different subscription? I can see how you can do that through the membership manage, but have nearly 2000 signups and doing that page by page will take some time!

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @bigspring

I hope you are well today.

First of all I'd like to apologize about the extreme delay in my reply on this thread, I missed your last reply.

1) Yes, You'd need to move them across to the PayPal gateway I'm afraid and with regards to 2), I'm afraid the only way I know of is to do that page by page unfortunately, Sorry about that, I have checked for another way around that but it appears there isn't one :slight_frown:

Again sorry for the extreme delay in my reply.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.