How to get good page speed for mobile

Site score is very low for mobile. So what can be done to improve the score? I already did image optimization using Smush Pro.
Also enabled both LazyLoading and CDN. In google desktop score is around 70 which is nearly same without Hummingbird Pro.
And google mobile score is around 25 only.

• Prathamesh Palve
    • Staff

Hello Susan

I hope you are doing well today. I would need the WP credentials to check the scope of improvement and suggest them to you.

As this is a public forum, you must send us your details through our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Prathamesh" -
    - WordPress Credentials ( Link/ Username/ Password)
    - link back to this thread for reference

Please update me in the thread here once you send the access. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
    Prathamesh Palve

• Prathamesh Palve
    • Staff

Hello Susan,

I went ahead and investigated the Hummingbird reports after which I see you need to take the following steps:

1. Use an Image optimization plugin. Please install & activate the Smush Pro plugin from the WPMU DEV Dashboard and then perform the following actions:

I. Bulk Smush all the images
    II. Turn On Smush CDN
    III. Turn on Lazy load.

Here is the Smush Pro documentation for your reference:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-smush-pro/#wpmud-hg-project-documentation
    Please have a look at the documentation carefully while working on the plugin.

Reason to take the above actions:
    1. I see the images are scaled properly at places wherever needed.
    2. Images take a lot of time to load. Turning ON CDN would take all the images to CDN and properly size it too.
    3. Using CDN would also convert all the images to WEBP Format as the JPEG & PNG format takes a lot of time to load and that means more consumption of data and more time for loading.

Once you take all the above actions, kindly wait for 30-60 minutes and then clear your cache and then check the performance reports once.

2. Now taking a turn to other files, I see you need to work on compressing CSS/JS files, moving CSS to the footer or combine it where ever possible. To check which files need to be worked on, please check the Hummingbird Performance Reports-> Audits-> Eliminate render-blocking resources.

Here is an article which would help you work on it:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/eliminate-render-blocking-issues-hummingbird/

If you have any doubts or need any help while working on it, feel free to reply in the thread here.

Regards,
    Prathamesh

• Susan
    • Stand Out

I have already optimized all images using smush pro and cdn is enabled. And the site is optimized with all possible options with Hummingbird but still, the desktop score is around 75-80 and the mobile score is around 25-30. Are there any settings or options with Hummingbird that is missing to configure or what are the next steps to improve site speed?

• Prathamesh Palve
    • Staff

Hello Susan,

I went ahead and checked the Performance reports. While checking the files in the Asset Optimisation, I noticed that there are some files which are listed in the Performance reports that need to be worked on but do not appear in the Asset Optimization. I have tried rechecking assets & also tried clearing the cache but that did not work.

I have now flagged this issue to our SLS team and they will be looking into it further. You should hear from them about it here and then I would take up the process to help you speed up the site.
    Please make a note that the SLS team is consistently working on critical issues and may take a bit more time than the regular support staff to revert back here on it.

I will also keep myself updated on the progress and will chime in once this is worked on.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,
    Prathamesh

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hi Susan and sorry for the late reply here.

The performance tests works totally different "behind the scenes" than how the Optimization does.

The performance tests will show you any possible issue or optimization that you can do in your website to make it better but that doesn't mean necessarily that it can be "automatically" fixed.

Let me explain as an example:

Let's take the "Divi/style.css" that is reported in the Performance Test under Remove unused CSS.

That file is loaded via @import url("../Divi/style.css"); from the "Divi-child/style.css". That means that it's "hardcoded" and it's not passing by the proper wp_enqueue_style() function of WordPress ( https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_enqueue_style/ ) .

Since it's hardcoded Asset Optimization won't be able to pick it up and show it to you for extra optimizations as we're parsing whatever is available by the standard WP methods only.

As an example the "correct" way of loading a child themes style into WordPress would be as shown in this guide instead of an "@ import" https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/advanced-topics/child-themes/#3-enqueue-stylesheet

I hope this helps a bit on understanding why there might be differences between the two lists.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.