How to get safe support.

Whilst we love our members helping out on the forums and we actively encourage it with the lifetime membership program we would like to offer the following advice.

Never give out your admin login to your wordpress sites or FTP details to anyone on the forums unless you are 100% sure that they can offer a solution. Staff members will ask for them only when necessary and will ask you to use our contact form when doing so. If a member offers to help check to see how long they have been a member and even go through some of their posts before giving them any logins should you want to do so. Our lifetime members (have a gold cup by their name) are all solid and respected members who achieved this by providing great support so you could feel safe giving your logins to them.

Cheers

Tom

• aristath

That's great advice Tom,

Members should NOT share their login or FTP credentials with just anyone.
    As staff it is our job to provide support and when working on our members sites we always make sure it is done as professionally and privately as possible.
    You wouldn't give your house keys to just anyone, would you?
    Unless that someone is an authorized electrician that you know is going to be really careful!

We have noticed some members asking for login credentials lately, and though we are sure this is done with the best intentions in mind, you should always be careful!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath

I personally would not give my login to anybody but a staff member and once the problem was resolved I would probably change my password... no offense.

None taken.

The recommended solution is to create a new user, assign admin role to that user (or super-admin if it's a multisite installation) and once the issue is resolved demote that user to subscriber (or delete the user... whatever you prefer).

This way you don't have to change your own passwords. :wink:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• pacman

i think you guys should improve the ticket system... the response time, is infamous ....if any one has a bug to report or a simple question the staff member responds generally with a question, when the question is answered it takes maybe a day or two if you r lucky to the staff member to respond again, then they stop responding, so you resolve the issue yourself or find the answer else were ....then in a couple of days some other staff member replays to tell you that "because we havent hear from you lately we´r marking the ticket as resolved" ...so maybe the members that give there FTP or other credentials like candy is because there are desperate to get help fast.

its constructive criticism :wink:

Regards,

• aristath

Hello there @pacman, I hope you're well today!

if any one has a bug to report or a simple question the staff member responds generally with a question,

If members explained their issue in detail on their original post this would probably not happen. Unfortunately though, there are a lot of post like "Hi, plugin broken. How fix it?"
    As you understand, we need some details in order to identify and then resolve the issues at hand.

when the question is answered it takes maybe a day or two if you r lucky to the staff member to respond again, then they stop responding

I am trully sorry if your experience has been like that!
    We strive to respond to all posts in a timely fashion. Each staff members will usually respond to more than 50 new posts on a daily basis. Now imagine that we get answers to more than 50 of our older posts daily and calculate that it usually takes 5 minutes to read your answer, research for a solution and then respond back to you.
    If you put that together you'll realise that we're talking about more than 8 hours/day aswering to forum posts. But there's also emails and other stuff we take care of.
    Also take in consideration that we are all in different timezones...
    We are grateful for members that help out on these forums and that's the reason why we offer free lifetime memberships to those that prove their commitment to this community!
    Please excuse us if one of your posts has gone unanswered for a few days. We always try to improve ourselves so thank you for your post. I will report this to the appropriate people so that we improve on our follow-up respond times.

.then in a couple of days some other staff member replays to tell you that "because we havent hear from you lately we´r marking the ticket as resolved"

If we ask a question to a member requesting for more details or offer a solution to them, we expect an answer. If the member does not respond then we assume that the issue has been fixed, or the member is no longer interested in pursuing this issue. But that doesn't happen in "a couple of days", it usually takes more than a couple of weeks!!

I hope that clears things up a bit.

If your experience with the support staff has been "lacking", please send an email to aristath at incsub dot com with links to the threads in question so that I may follow back on them and see what went wrong.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Tom Eagles

@pacman

Just a tip, when you bump your thread it actually has the opposite effect of what you want, Let me explain the way the feeds work is we respond to oldest tickets first so every time you bump a thread it effectively moves it down the queue.

Sometimes as Ari mentioned there is a delay, a member of staff may have a day off, for example i did on friday as i work the weekends. So when i come back to my feed your ticket would have been on the bottom (latest response).

Hope this explains what happened.

Cheers.

• pacman

@Ari,
    hope you guys dont take this the wrong way, im only trying to improve the comunity:

If members explained their issue in detail on their original post this would probably not happen. Unfortunately though, there are a lot of post like "Hi, plugin broken. How fix it?"
    As you understand, we need some details in order to identify and then resolve the issues at hand.

maybe you guys should implement a “support protocol” like all other support systems, like plugin version, a print screen, credentials (in private) or all basic stuff that you guys need to provide support.

This will improve your response time

I am trully sorry if your experience has been like that!
    We strive to respond to all posts in a timely fashion. Each staff members will usually respond to more than 50 new posts on a daily basis. Now imagine that we get answers to more than 50 of our older posts daily and calculate that it usually takes 5 minutes to read your answer, research for a solution and then respond back to you.
    If you put that together you'll realise that we're talking about more than 8 hours/day aswering to forum posts. But there's also emails and other stuff we take care of.

This is easy; get more staff members, you only can do what is humanly possible.

regards,

• elpino

Greetings all

Wanted to add a third party option that i have being falling in love lately showed to me by aecnu, Option Zero before anything!

0) Install Wordfence this plugin will email you each time someone logins, and lockout people trying to guess your password, can verify and repair your core, theme and plugin files, even if you don't have backups. (Well check the link to wordfence can do alot more!

Wordfence is now Multi-Site compatible.

More tips re: handing out logins:

1) Always backup off site (download to your computer, send to Amazon S3 etc) before inviting someone into your site.

2) Make sure your wp-admin password is different from your email, paypal, banking, social media and control panel passwords.

3) See #1

Regards
    Alex

• Mindblaze

Just a tip, when you bump your thread it actually has the opposite effect of what you want, Let me explain the way the feeds work is we respond to oldest tickets first so every time you bump a thread it effectively moves it down the queue.

Sometimes as Ari mentioned there is a delay, a member of staff may have a day off, for example i did on friday as i work the weekends. So when i come back to my feed your ticket would have been on the bottom (latest response).

Hope this explains what happened.

Thanks for explaining the support system. Often i have wondered opposite.

However as the community is increasing rapidly the support system needs a little upgrade it self as well.

maybe you guys should implement a “support protocol” like all other support systems, like plugin version, a print screen, credentials (in private) or all basic stuff that you guys need to provide support.

This will improve your response time.

I totally agree.

• supergoyong

This will improve your response time.

totally agree with this one. But to make things faster especially when it doesn't really need to give out admin login credentials, I just make a dummy user account where they can clearly see the problem.

But a feature to privately send credentials to the support staff would be very very helpful.

• Tom Eagles

@supergoyong

totally agree with this one. But to make things faster especially when it doesn't really need to give out admin login credentials, I just make a dummy user account where they can clearly see the problem.

This is very true especially with regards to membership or buddypress as it allows us to see what you see.

But a feature to privately send credentials to the support staff would be very very helpful.

Currently this is available using the contacts form and selecting the i have another question option in the drop down menu. This emails the info to us. However we are working on a new system for this that will make this part of support much easier for you guys and will dramatically increase response times.

Cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.