How to get the multisite xml sitemap index of all sitemaps?

I have installed SmartCrawl, which from the usage guide and docs sounds like it should do this, and since the Multisite Sitemap plugin seems pretty outdated (usage guide shows very old htacess rules that are no longer used) I am not sure, how to get this done.

Should I push forward and activate both? I assumed that SmartCrawl likely had adopted the multisite sitemap index from the older plugin but maybe I am wrong?

Here are my settings in the network:

And the sitemap that I am assuming should contain indexes would be /sitemap.xml but that only shows the pages of the main site.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi danieliser,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Both the plugins are compatible with the latest version of WordPress 4.5.3, If you are considering to use both plugins, would recommend you to use only Smartcrawl, as it comes with added SEO functions, and it's easy to setup network wide. Just install the plugin, and save the sitemap settings network wide, to see the sitemap.xml files being generated for all the subsites, without any hassle.

If you want to enable the settings per site, you can check Show this to Site Admins to Yes.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• danieliser
    • Flash Drive

Hey Nithin,

If you check out the screenshot above it is in the network admin. I don't need to set anything up per site as we are using it for product examples and will control them all globally.

The problem is, even though I appear to have set it up correctly there does not appear to be a single sitemap_index.xml that includes links to all of the subsites.

IE Currently it appears I will have to submit a separate sitemap for every subsite in my network, that doesn't seem right. Should be able to have one index that references all the subsite sitemaps.

you can see what I mean. Here is the main sitemap which should contain reference to at least 5 subsites.

http://examples.wppopupmaker.com/sitemap.xml

Should include link to the following as well as several others:
    http://examples.wppopupmaker.com/ajax-login-modals/sitemap.xml

It doesn't it just lists the page/s for the main site (site 1).

To my understanding that is what I assumed SmartCrawl is supposed to do, but some reason isn't, or that I am supposed to use both SmartCrawl and MultiSite Sitemaps together since the latter seems to be made to do just that.

Hope that clarifies.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello danieliser,

The problem is, even though I appear to have set it up correctly there does not appear to be a single sitemap_index.xml that includes links to all of the subsites.

That is correct. SmartCrawl will not create one big site map but will create separate site maps for each of subsites when its set per blog.
    SmartCrawl was never creating one site map, but separate ones.
    Please take a look on this thread https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/infinite-seo-sitemap-for-multisite#post-896721 - where one of my colleagues shared solution on how to consolidate all the site maps in to one with robots.txt

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.