How to handle registration with Memebership 2 Pro and Buddypress

I'm setting up my first Buddypress social network and it will be more like a private intranet, protected by Membership 2 Pro, if they are compatible.

It looks like I will want to use the Buddypress registration page to sign up members to collect extra fields. And, the way Membership 2 Pro flows through it's registration requires one too many clickthroughs before showing the button to order.

There's no documentation on this plugin and I've searched and searched.

Is there a standard way to integrate Membership 2 Pro with Buddypress registrations?

Are there any tutorials anywhere on using these two plugins together?

Perhaps there's something better than Buddypress to use from WPMUDEV that works best with Membership 2 Pro?

Thanks

How

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The BuddyPress would be the best choice, in my opinion. Both plugins work well together and the setup isn't that complex in fact. There's the usage documentation for Membership 2 Pro here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#wpmud-hg-project-documentation

There's, indeed, not much about integration with BuddyPress so let me give you a short guide here :slight_smile:

1. Setup Membership 2 Pro: make sure that all the necessary pages (See "Membership 2 -> Settings -> General") are created and assigned, create your memberships and so on; make sure that it's working

2. Enable and configure BuddyPress - the most important part here is to actually:
    - create all your custom user fields if you want them
    - make sure that BP pages, especially registration related, are existing and assigned on "Settings -> BuddyPress -> Pages" page and they are NOT the same as registration related pages for Membership 2 Pro.

3. Go to "Membership 2 -> Add-ons" page and enable "BuddyPress integration" add-on; click on "Details" there and enable "Use BuddyPress registration".

That's pretty much it if it comes to basic setup. Whenever a visitor will go to a "registration" page he/she will be directed to a BuddyPress registration.

You got "two choices" then: you can either direct visitors directly to a registration page or you can direct them to a membership list page.

In first case they'll get a BP registration form right away and will be able to register but will not be given the option to signup for a membership. They can do it later, for example when they go to their "Account" page or you can point them to membership list page via some link or they can just do it when they reach out the protected content (when they're given a message that the content is available to members only).

In the second case, they'll be given a choice of memberships first and after selecting a membership they'll be directed to a BP registration form after selecting membership.

Also, if you got back to a "Membership 2 -> Add-ons" page in site's back-end and click on "Details" for "BuddyPress integration" add-on, you'll be able to enable two additional modules: Protection Rules and "Show xProfile Fileds. The first one adds a section to a "Membership 2 -> Protection Rules" page where you can set BuddyPress pages to be protected by memberships (so available only for registered members of selected memberships) and the second one adds BP profile fields to a profile edit screen on Membershp 2 Pro "Account" page.

I hope that helps and if you got any additional/follow up questions, let me know, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mark

Thank you Adam,

I had been messing with these plugins for days, wondering how they were supposed to work together. You cleared all that up perfectly. It was like a fog lifted as I read your words and I could finally see how easy it really is.

I would prefer if there were NOT two steps to signup though, where they (in our case) would have to come back to our site and fill out their data a second time after just ordering.

Now I'm wondering if either Buddypress or Membership 2 Pro has the built in capability to recover fields like the name and address that get sent back from the Stripe api to repopulate the fields. But, that may be a separate issue and we just signed up at Stripe so I can't be sure they even send any fields back after purchase. Though if I remember correctly, most APIs do.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Mark

You cleared all that up perfectly. It was like a fog lifted as I read your words and I could finally see how easy it really is.

I'm glad I could help :slight_smile:

Now I'm wondering if either Buddypress or Membership 2 Pro has the built in capability to recover fields like the name and address that get sent back from the Stripe api to repopulate the fields.

I'm not sure what exact data Stripe (or other gateways) can send back via its API but BuddyPress itself doesn't deal with any payments at all so that wouldn't be possible and Membership 2 Pro handles payment gateways via their native API libraries but from what I know such data is not "taken back" and if this is even possible, it would require quite a huge amount of custom coding, I'm afraid. That'd be well outside the scope of this support forum.

However, if you consider this a useful feature, you're more than welcome to post such feature request on our "Features and Feedback" forum (just select "Feature Request" here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/support/#get-support) and other Members will be able to follow up. If the idea gets more support, our developers may consider developing it in future (if it's doable at all).

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.