How to have a show cart checkout button when items are in the cart

Playing with the upfront themes...and I'm wondering if this is a big hole or am i missing something....how do people check out.

If somebody ads a product to their shopping cart...how do they view their cart, checkout, or know what items are in their cart.

In the free storefront child theme mystle, when there is something added to the cart at the top of the site persistently you will see view cart, number of items in cart, total price of cart, and a checkout button.

See attached image. Thoughts on how to get people to purchase an item after adding something to their cart.

Thanks!

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there Ben,

How are you doing today?

First of all MarketPress has floating cart that is visible by default on all MarketPress pages, displaying number of items in the cart and what's added there, please see screenshot:

The option to activate/deactivate mini floating cart can be found in Store Settings -> General -> Miscellaneous Settings -> Disable Mini Cart?

There is also a Shopping Cart widget that you can place into your sidebar that can do the same thing, you can do that in Appearance -> Widgets.

With that said since you're mentioning Upfront, MarketPress is not compatible with Upfront yet, Upfront has some issues with virtual pages making some parts of MarketPress not working properly but this is something we're currently working on so we'll have MarketPress integrated with Upfront in the near future.

Hope this helps

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey Ben,

Apologies for that, I've checked plugins installed for the site selected here under "Registered Sites" in your account and saw MarketPress there so I just assumed this is what you're using, sorry

With regards to the Storefront themes that's just a feature in those themes so I don't think it's really an oversight in any other theme including Upfront.

WooCommerce also has cart widget similar to MarketPress so you can use that to add it to sidebars in general themes or even add it to the header if you like using Widget element in Upfront.

Aside from that I've found this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-menu-bar-cart/ which pretty much achieves the same thing as you have with Storefront child themes. I've gave it a quick test with Upfront and it seems to be working fine, it simply adds link to cart in your navigation that displays number of items in cart and price.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Bojan

• Ben

Bojan Radonic

Thanks for the response. Let me give you a VERY basic scenario of why this is an oversite in integrating marketpress or woocommerce.

Pretend you are a new customer exploring the site site made with woocommerce.

You view the store, you add something to the cart, you then (because you are not forced to checkout) explore another part of the site...thinking you might buy something....but you don't! What does the customer do now to checkout and make payment (the MOST important thing to the site owner and the user)

Are you guys seriously not seeing how important this is...? Or am I missing something?

I appreciate you pointing out https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-menu-bar-cart/ as a temporary workaround...however integrating it into UPFRONT is...difficult.

The abilities of this plugin need to be integrated into upfront...woocommerce themes storefront and child themes mystile do this.

Please review.

Thanks.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ben,

I do agree that it would be more convenient to have that functionality built into the theme and I've passed that on to our developers, thanks

I appreciate you pointing out https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-menu-bar-cart/ as a temporary workaround...however integrating it into UPFRONT is...difficult.

I've tried this out as well and it didn't seem all that difficult. I made a screencast to illustrate the setup. I suppose it depends how you want it to look but even if the functionality was built into the theme, there could be some differences on that user to user. To get the cart in your menu, you just need to select the WooCommerce and your menu: http://screencast.com/t/nbNWUvP8

Then it should look like:

That's probably similar to the options you would need to select if it was built into the theme, with the exception of having to select WooCommerce.

Again, I do totally agree it would be more convenient to have the functionality built into the theme so no additional plugin is needed which is why I've passed that along to our developers but it sounds like you're having difficulty setting up that plugin. If so, let us know where it's going wrong for you and we'll have a look

All the best,
    Tyler

• Ben

Tyler Postle

Thanks for taking the time to create the screenshots and work through the problem.

I think you are overlooking something. Lets take Panino theme. There is a menu for the front single page scroll experience...and there is ANOTHER menu for sub pages, ie a product page.

This plugin out of the box only works with 1 menu. You must pay for it to work with multiple menus. And if you are trying to set up a multi-site pro-site network...this fee bumps up.

So...because EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE THAT USES MARKETPRESS OR WOOCOMMERCE needs this functionality for a customer to checkout after navigating somewhere else...and because a "floating cart" looks kinda jankey and hard to design around...and only works on marketpress which can't handle product variations without creating a ton of queries and acting very slow...please forward this to the upfront developer to include this in the theme like almost every other e-commerce theme has.

Agreed?

but it sounds like you're having difficulty setting up that plugin

Not trying to be cheeky, but I don't think I am having difficulty setting up the plugin...i think i am outline a serious problem in upfront theme support for e-commerce and clearly demonstrating how this plugin in its current form doesn't really address the solution to this very serious problem in the theme.

If I am missing something please let me know, I am very motivated to have a viable solution

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ben,

It seems other members must be finding that plugin adequate or using another solution as we haven't had many requests at all on this matter.

I do understand your concern about the multi-menu part since you can only use that plugin with one menu unless you get the pro version, that's a good point I overlooked.

As mentioned earlier, I've already past this feature request to the Upfront team I do agree it is something we should include in the theme.

Cheers,
    Tyler