How to incorporate short video answers in comments?

Hello,
I hope this is something you can help with. It is more a request for suggestions to help my planning a new job than it is a support request. I’m not trying to fix an existing problem but prevent future ones. I’d like to check that I’m choosing the best WPMU plugins for a new site I’m working on before I get started.

The site needs to integrate with a third party for recording and playing short videos. We can use REST calls or JS to access and manipulate the videos stored on the third party. All content is stored in the third party and accessed through their API. They provide embed codes for playing and recording video. I need to add some metadata to each video that will determine where it appears on the Wordpress site and on third party sites. Metadata saved with recordings would be things like the originating site/page, record/upload time, question/answer tags. When playing metadata would include 'is video approved to play', number of plays, drop-offs, etc.

Each video will be an answer to a question. Each question has a fixed set of answers assigned, like yes/no or agree/disagree or a rating 1-5. When a visitor to the site wants to answer a question, they will assign an answer tag to go with their video response. Videos will be displayed on the same page as their question. It should be possible to filter and sort videos by answer tag.

The site will display video answers that have been uploaded directly to the site but also videos that have been uploaded to third party sites. It will aggregate videos from multiple client sites. We’re using Wordpress to moderate videos and manage users. Users are clients who have a site that provides videos to our site. I think standard Wordpress tags would be the answers. Categories may be used for each question, though it may be better and easier for each question to be a post title.

This leads to a number of questions:

1) Does this sound like something that can and should be done with Wordpress standard posts, or would it be better to use Custompress to create a video answer post type? Can custom post types created in Custompress be used easily as the interface to API calls? For instance, if I used Custompress, each post would have to include a ‘record’ button and be able to display the recorder window when creating a new answer.

1.A) Alternatively, is the Q&A plugin a better option? It would need to require a video for each answer. Reputation, etc are less important because the site is about videos expressing opinion than about given instructions or technical information. How can I customise a plugin like this?

2) I’m looking for a way to manage third parties who embed a webcam recorder and player on their site. From a brief look, the Memberships plugin seems to cover that (and enable future monetization). When a webmaster wants to enable their site to record videos for us, we would give them some kind of account. They add their site’s URL and other info and get back a customised embed code for a recorder and a player that they then place on a page on their site. The generic embed code is provided by the video service and customised with data that identifies the user on our site.

3) Currently, I imagine the questions on this site to be analogous to a WP blog post, the answers like its comments. I’m still figuring out how best to use this built-in structures and I’m open to better ways to do this. I’m looking for a way to make each comment display a video player. The comments should display in order like they would normally do on a blog page, but with a collapsible and/or "filterable" effect to reduce space taken. Even a few video comments, with a small screen on a page, could quickly become unwieldy. Would it be worthwhile using Comments+ here? What would it add? Does it enable customisation of comments and how they are presented or is this better done in CSS?

I hope that makes sense but please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Thanks,
Morgan

• Milan

Hello Morgan

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Let's go one by one on this. :slight_smile:

1) Does this sound like something that can and should be done with Wordpress standard posts, or would it be better to use Custompress to create a video answer post type? Can custom post types created in Custompress be used easily as the interface to API calls? For instance, if I used Custompress, each post would have to include a ‘record’ button and be able to display the recorder window when creating a new answer.

This does sound like something which we can do with WordPress but this is certainly not something which we can do with only plugins out there. This will definitely require custom amount of coding to be done. :slight_smile:

Yes you can use CustomPress to create your Custom Post types but my suggestion for your this requirement would be that, you use custom coding to create custom post type as you also wants to add metadata to it. By creating custom post type with default coding, you'll have few more flexibility which I guess you'll need with this.

For more information on this one, please visit this article. :slight_smile:
    https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/tips-tricks/creating-custom-post-types-in-wordpress

This tool may help you with this too. https://generatewp.com/post-type/

2) I’m looking for a way to manage third parties who embed a webcam recorder and player on their site. From a brief look, the Memberships plugin seems to cover that (and enable future monetization). When a webmaster wants to enable their site to record videos for us, we would give them some kind of account. They add their site’s URL and other info and get back a customised embed code for a recorder and a player that they then place on a page on their site. The generic embed code is provided by the video service and customised with data that identifies the user on our site.

I am sorry but I am not getting this properly. By your description it seems that you want to offer sites to your users, or you only wants to take site information from them ? Please advise further on this one.

3) Currently, I imagine the questions on this site to be analogous to a WP blog post, the answers like its comments. I’m still figuring out how best to use this built-in structures and I’m open to better ways to do this. I’m looking for a way to make each comment display a video player. The comments should display in order like they would normally do on a blog page, but with a collapsible and/or "filterable" effect to reduce space taken. Even a few video comments, with a small screen on a page, could quickly become unwieldy. Would it be worthwhile using Comments+ here? What would it add? Does it enable customisation of comments and how they are presented or is this better done in CSS?

Comments + provides few more ways to let your user comment without hassle. It does not offer something like adding videos to it. If this service is not able to offer what you want,
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/disqus-comment-system/, you'll need to rely on custom development to get what you are looking for for this. :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back!
    Cheers,
    Milan

• Morgan

Hello,
    Thanks very much for your fast and detailed reply. I'll have a closer look at the resources you mention.

As a general clarification, for all the questions I asked, I was looking for a generic solution that would still allow me to add some custom code. This custom code is a bit like a YouTube embed snippet that would create a camera/file upload UI or a player on a web page. There may be some need for the WP site to use APIs to query and/or change metadata associated with the embed codes. These embed codes would be used on my WP site and could be given to other site owners to put on their web pages. There are examples here: http://cameratag.com/demo

So I was wondering if I could use CustomPress or Q&A and add custom code to it for users to upload video where its default functionality might support text responses.

I asked about Comments+ but it's looking like it does different things. I'm not interested in linking comments to social media at this point, only for ways to incorporate the embed codes into the site to manage video answers. I was originally thinking it may help customise the look and feel of the comments section of the page.

Please let me know if that clarification changes anything you've suggested.

Many thanks,
    Morgan

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Morgan,

Unfortunately none of our plugins would allow such setup without some complex coding to make it work in this manner.

Perhaps some plugins like these can help you get started with this:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/video-comments-webcam-recorder/
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/video-comments/
    http://ziggeo.com/wordpress-plugin

You may want to hire a developer for further assistance with your setup, we do have jobs section where you can seek for dev help:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/
    Please note that, no WPMU official staff members are allowed to work in the job board.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Morgan

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply. I looked at a few video options and CameraTag.com seemed the best for value and features. The main issue (for me, just now) is the lack of Wordpress plugin making integration a bit more difficult. We didn't start out with the intention of using Wordpress, but the requirement for backend admin increased and it made more sense. Also, record/play has to be cross-platform so it can be embedded in any site.

Ziggeo may be suitable, but pricing is not transparent, making it hard to budget from month to month, and it looks like it would be more expensive. Faster development time may make it worthwhile. The other recorder plugin costs a lot plus requires storage. Frankly.me no longer exists.

My main issues right now are getting the comment form and custom post types right. I'm creating a custom post type for Questions that has an additional field for Question Type, preferably a drop down menu or radio buttons. There may be some other custom fields and a taxonomy.

I ran into problems editing pages for custom post types in earlier versions of Upfront. Has this been improved? I tried this first with CloudPress and found they're a bit restrictive with custom post types and fields.

Is there any way to edit the built in Comment forms in Upfront?Comments should be enabled for this post type. For every comment, the user must choose from the given answer type (e.g. Yes/No, Agree/Disagree, etc), record a short message and optionally give a name/email address. Recorded comments appear on the same page with the question, ideally as a normal list of comments. It would be good to be able to filter comments for the answer given, i.e. see a stream of only positive answers.

The recorder/player is supplied by embed code from cameratag.com, which can also store metadata with each recording. The API seems pretty good.

Any suggestions much appreciated,
    Morgan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.