How to increase number of databases after multi-db established

Please clarify the process of going from 16 databases to 4096. It is my understanding reading through the forums that you need to merge back to 1 and then start over. We have now tested the process with 16 with our combination of plugins and we finally have everything working well. Now it is time to set up the 4096. I did not see any instructions regarding the required process to go from one level to the next. Please clarify. Thank you.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Unfortunately there isn't a "step up" procedure. You need to do the following.

1. Export all databases to SQL files.
    2. Create a new blank database.
    3. Import all exported databases into the new one, effectively recreating a one database system.
    4. Set up your wp install to use this single db to check it's ok.
    5. Drop all your current multi-db databases as they are incorrectly named for a 4096 setup.

Then start from scratch with your multi-db setup, but for 4096 databases this time. So:
    1. Create 4096 databases
    2. Create the user and assign to all the db's
    3. Run move-blogs
    4. Setup db-config to use 4096 databases.

Which is why I always say, when the question arises, that you should set up the number of databases that you think you "may" need from the outset.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Barry, Thank you so much for the clarification. I had originally asked my tech people to start with the 4096 - but they thought it best to do a test. Of course during the test we found the problem with the New Blog Template - which is all resolved and working fine now. So on to the real thing. Hopefully, all of our painful learnings will provide for clear sailing.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Hi Barry,

We have understand the all step. We have little issue with the Step 2 (of second Phase)
    2. Create the user and assign to all the db's

As we have created 4096 database here, now how we can grant access to one user for all database in one shot?

Please provide us instruction for it.

Thank You

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@antKat - multi-db ignores it so it doesn't matter if it's there or not but other parts of wordpress may check for the defines to check if the config has been setup or not, i tend to keep it there anyway as it doesn't do any harm.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.