How to install domain mapping on a multisite installation?

Multisite Domain: BigNetMediaGroup.com
Hosting Provider: InMotionHosting using cPanel

I am attempting to add onetextmessage.com which I currently own.

When I added the site it looked like this:

bignetmediagroup.com/onetextmessage vice onetextmessage.bignetmediagroup.com

One appears to be a subdomain and the other a page on a website. Did I install the multisite correctly? InMotionHosting uses Softalicious.

Awaiting your response.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Fred

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are doing good and thanks for asking the question :slight_smile:

Softalicious installed subfolder based multisite, to have like onetextmessage.bignetmediagroup.com you have to install subdomain based multisite.

We always recommend not to use Softalicious or Fantastco or any other one click installer. Here some risks:
    1. Big WordPress Security Risks
    2. Exporting and importing content with WordPress’s built in export tools
    3. They use old scripts. Updated versions of WordPress or any script are not immediately released on those services. They install an outdated version of WordPress. It’s not a good start with outdated one.
    4. They bypasses almost all settings used for installing
    5. Sometimes it has issues while you want to upgrade.
    6. Suppose first created database is wpdb1 and the next one is wpdb2 and so on. Malicious hackers know this is how they’re created and it gives them more ammo.
    7. Created a file named fantversion.php (or something similar), which is common for all auto installers. This is a security risk if crackers know how to break into it.
    8. The auto created database name and the database username is same in most cases.

So, I would recommend to delete this instances and install again, manually. Here are some links that may help you:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wordpress-multisite/
    http://wpmu.org/wordpress-multisite-guide/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/wordpress-wordpress-mu-and-wordpress-multisite/
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network
    http://mashable.com/2012/07/26/beginner-guide-wordpress-multisite/

If you choose subdomain, make sure you don't use www in network domain. So it should be bignetmediagroup.com and not http://www.bignetmediagroup.com

But if you still want to convert this multisite from subfolder to subdomain, it's still possible.
    Then just go to wp-config.php and change

define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'www.bignetmediagroup.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

to

define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'www.bignetmediagroup.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

And then use the following code in your htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ wp/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

So please let me know which way you want to proceed :slight_smile:

Have an awesome day!

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Fred

I hope you are doing good.

It seems multisite was not successfully installed.

Would you please send me your cpanel details so that I could install a fresh wordpress multisite for you?

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash (this ensures that it will be assigned to me)
    Details:
    1. Send all requested details
    2. Send a link of this thread so that I can track
    3. Send any other relevant link

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• BigNetDomain
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ash,

Thanks for the all the help. So how can I map onetextmessage.bignetmediagroup.com to onetextmessage.com? I installed the Domain Mapping plugin. I also added a CNAME record see attached.

I will be adding several sites so once I understand this process I should be able to complete it on my own.

I also need to setup email addresses for the domains.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Fred

I can see the IP of bignetmediagroup.com is 205.134.239.192, is this IP a dedicated IP? It must be a dedicated IP and point to the main site. That means, if you enter http://205.134.239.192 in the browser, then bignetmediagroup.com site should be shown.

Then I can see onetextmessage.com is pointed to 50.63.202.70, this won't work. The domain onetextmessage.com must point to 205.134.239.192, only then the domain mapping will work.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Let me simplify the procedure for you as well.

For example, your main site is network.com
    You have two subsites:
    1. one.network.com
    2. two.network.com
    These two subsites you want to map with following domains repectively:
    1. one.com
    2. two.com

So, if anyone enter one.com in the browser, it should show the site of one.network.com. Same for two.com

So, there are two scenarios now. Either you own all the domains, or you don't. First I think you own all the domains.

network.com site is hosted in a hosting whose nameservers are:
    ns1.networkhost.com
    ns2.networkhost.com

So, you have entered these nameservers for network.com domain panel. You have to set same nameservers for one.com and two.com domains too.

Then you will add one.com and two.com domains as add on domain in the same hosting of network.com, and make sure you point them to the network.com wordpress root folder. So that if any one enter one.com or two.com it shows network.com site.

After that, you will add the domains in corresponding subsites using domain panel plugin, and the mapped domain will start working.

Now, if you don't own the domains, then you will need a dedicated IP. I know you won't have access to the domain panel of your customers so that you can't set name servers in there. So, you will pass them you IP and they need to set a DNS record for their domain and point to that IP. Only then domain panel will work.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• BigNetDomain
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ash,

I can't thank you enough for all of your help. I chatted with a rep from InMotion Hosting. Attached are two documents:
      -InMotion Hosting Account Details
      -Chat Session

I have the ability to change the primary domain to bignetmediagroup.com vice oncue360.com. Please advise on the best way to proceed.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Fred

The follow the procedure:

1. Network URL: main.com and subsite url: sub.com
    2. Set a nameserver for main.com (it's already set I believe)
    3. Set the nameserver for sub.com (which will be mapped domain)
    4. Now go to cpanel of main.com and add sub.com as parked domain/addon domain and point to same install of main.com
    5. Go to subsite admin panel > Tools > Domain Mapping and add sub.com as domain.

Cheers
    Ash

• BigNetDomain
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ash,

Thanks for everything. Please be patient as I am new to the multisite area. However, I really want to get this accomplished as quickly as possible. According to InMotion Hosting OnCue360.com is the primary domain.
    1. Should the multisite installation be on OnCue360.com vice BigNetMediaGroup.com? Then all sites and subsites would look like this:

-bignetmediagroup.oncue360.com mapped to bignetmediagroup.com
    -onetextmessage.oncue360.com mapped to onetextmessage.com

Upon reviewing cPanel Advanced Editor, the above subdomains and domains already exists. However, the multisite is installed on BigNetMediaGroup.com.

2. Can you remove the multisite installation on BigNetMediaGroup.com and reinstall on OnCue360.com?

3. Can _bignetmediagroup.com in File Manager be deleted?

Please see how url oncue360.com looks in your browser (see attached file).

Thanks a billion!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Fred

I hope you are doing good.

To make sure:
    1. You want to have multisite on OnCue360.com?
    2. Then two subsites:
    a. bignetmediagroup.oncue360.com mapped to bignetmediagroup.com
    b. onetextmessage.oncue360.com mapped to onetextmessage.com

If so, please set the same nameserver on all domains: OnCue360.com, bignetmediagroup.com and onetextmessage.com. Then I will try to do the rest.

Have an awesome day!

Cheers
    Ash

• BigNetDomain
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ash,

I want to ensure I have clean WP installs and databases. Attached is an image of the current database files. Which ones can I delete?

Prior to the multisite install I used softalicious to install wordpress on bignetmediagroup.com. Upon reviewing File Manager I see the following folder _bignetmediagroup.com. Can it be deleted without harming the multisite installation?

Thanks.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Fred

I hope you are well today.

Upon reviewing File Manager I see the following folder _bignetmediagroup.com. Can it be deleted without harming the multisite installation?

Yes, I think you can delete that folder. But I strongly recommend to take a backup first and then delete the folder.

About the database, I can't remember what is the correct database name right now. Please go to public_html folder of OnCue360.com (I think it's root) and open the wp-config.php file. There you will see a line like:

define('DB_NAME', 'DB_NAME_HERE');

This is the database name, you can delete the other database if none of those are used.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.