How to install GridMarket child theme?

Hi, I've got WP 3.2.1 with Multisite, BP 1.5 and MarketPress 2.3.1 installed. My current theme is BP Default.

I've installed FrameMarket theme succesfully (I suppose). I downloaded the zip, unzipped all the content (ie the 'framemarket' folder) locally, and uploaded this 'framemarket' folder to wp-content/themes. Now it appears under 'Network Admin - themes' as well as 'Main site - appearance - themes', ready to activate. OK.

In both places, it states not to use directly but use a child theme instead. So, my understanding is that I need to install and activate the GridMarket child theme.

But now, following this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme/installation/ in items 5 & 9 (You’ll see several files and folders depending on the theme package. Most themes contain a folder for the parent and child theme within the folder called themes & With FrameMarket you need to upload framemarket and gridmarket to wp-content/themes/), I should find a folder in the zip called 'gridmarket' but I do not. In the zip, there is a subfolder called 'gridmarket' under 'framemarket - themes', but its content don't appear to belong to a child theme (_inc, screenshot, style). I wonder if this is the folder I'm looking for. Obviously, this subfolder was uploaded to the server as part of the 'framemarket' folder that I uploaded.

Then, what should I do? Move this 'gridmarket' subfolder from 'wp-content/themes/framemarket/themes/' to 'wp-content/themes/' ?

Cheers,
Jordi

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi ElCaganer,

Sorry if that seemed confusing, the parent/child theme model can be a bit confusing at first but yep, as you mentioned, you can simply move that /wp-content/themes/framemarket/themes/ folder into your /wp-content/themes/ folder and at that point, you'll see it in your themes list ready for activation.

Could you please let us know how that goes for ya?

Thanks,
    David

• ElCaganer
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Yes, so far, it worked. Thanks.

But this method doesn't make much sense to me. Now, the subfolder /wp-content/themes/framemarket/themes/ in the server is void. What's the point of this subfolder if then I have to move its content somewhere else?? Can I delete it?

I think that your installation instructions don't match the content of the zip folder. I think that you need to improve the explanations at https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme/installation/, or alternatively modify the structure of the zip file by providing two separate folders: 'FrameMarket' and 'GridMarket', as suggested by the installation instructions. This would prevent doubts in users and time loss when installing.

For this reason, I still don't mark this as resolved. I leave it up to you to mark it now or not. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Jordi

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

@ ElCaganer
    Yes. You can safely delete it. It is not needed any more.

The reason it is placed there is for "packaging" economy. It would be more confusing if they were zipped in a different way. Furthermore and more importantly auto-upgrades would be impossible since (I think) you cannot upgrade 3 themes from one pack. Or can you? :disappointed:
    Anyhow, this way after and when upgrading you will have to "only" go through the same procedure. Be careful though you do not override your already existing child theme including your customizations.
    I know it sounds a bit scary in the beginning but believe me, is the easiest way to do this.

I hope that helps. Enjoy

• ElCaganer

Well, I understand, but then the installation instructions at https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme/installation/ should be changed because they expect the two folders to be in the root of the zip (see snapshot in item 9).

Also that guide is confusing, because it merges instructions for regular themes (by 'regular' I mean no parent/child structure) with instructions for parent/child themes, and goes back and forth. If you analyze it:
    - Items 1, 2, 3 & 4 tell you all the process from downloading the theme to uploading and activating it (it seems to refer to regular themes)
    - Items 5 to 9 then relate to parent/child themes and seem to go back to the process of uploading to server. Is should be said that they replace item 3. Item 5 You’ll see several files and folders depending on the theme package. Most themes contain a folder for the parent and child theme within the folder called themes. is very unclear. See where? In the zip, in your local folder or in the server? And where is the child theme? I think that it should say something like: in the unzipped folder in your local drive, you'll see (...). Most themes contain a folder for the parent and a subfolder for the child theme. This subfolder is within a subfolder called 'themes'.

At the end of the day, I think it's simple (if I understood properly):
    a) unzip to root C:
    b) move gridmarket folder from subfolder to root C:
    c) upload folders framemarket and gridamarket to wp-content/themes

Anyway, I'm having troubles configuring the theme. Settings like 'type of header' or 'show shop picker' don't seem to work. I set them up and hit save options but nothing changes, and when I go back the setting is gone. See snapshot.

Maybe a concern related to installing?

Thanks,
    Jordi

• ElCaganer

Maybe, my last concern got hidden within the thread. I repeat it here:

I'm having troubles configuring the theme. Settings like 'type of header' or 'show shop picker' don't seem to work. I set them up and hit save options but nothing changes, and when I go back the setting is gone. See snapshot.
    Maybe a concern related to installing?
    (snapshot is attached in a previous message)

Please, advise

Cheers,
    Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Do you have any other plugins installed? I'm thinking specifically something that would cause a javascript error or a cache plugin could cause this to happen.

Also, can you take a look at your php error logs and see if anything's coming up there? Please let us know.

Thanks!

• ElCaganer

Thanks.

I deactivated almost all plugins and the concern remains. The only ones not deactivated are BuddyPress and MarketPress.

I got the log. There's a lot of entries. What do you want: the whole file or just the entries related to 'gridmarket' or 'framemarket'... or what?

Cheers,
    Jordi

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Jodi,

We'd only need the most recent stuff - and only the unique errors. Often times the same error will get output mutliple times as it occurs on each page refresh for example.

If there really are a ton of them you could upload it to something like pastebin.com and provide us with a link - that's often easier to read than a full copy on the forums here.

Let us know. thanks!

• Tom

I am still confused on thi and this post is a year old. I have both themes showing in my themes area, but what good is framemarket once grid market is activated? Wouldn't that just deactivate framemarket?

• Patriot Ghost
    • New Recruit

I spent two full days researching this, reading threads, trying to make sense of it all and figured it out and when I did, the process only takes about one minute.

Download FrameMarket
    Unzip
    Navigate unzipped FrameMarket Folder to themes
    Find GridMarket
    Right click GridMarket
    Send to Compressed Folder (it shows up instantly under first GridMarket folder)
    Go to your Wordpress admin, Appearance, Themes, Install, upload, browse.
    Navigate to your Framemarket folder, themes, gridmarket ZIPPED folder
    Install and activate.
    That's IT, baby. none of this other fiddle farting around.

• Bonnie
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU -- It's a year after you wrote this but thanks for making it so simple...

My shorthand version:

Upload and install Frame Market -- Then upload the file to desktop - unzip - move Grid market to its own folder - zip it up

Then go through the usual process to install the theme from wp dashboard using the grid market zipped folder

Tech Team: Make note of this process -- so much easier for Wordpress Users ...

I tried moving the file from within my server file manager and was told the file was too big... while waiting FOREVER on hold for help, I found this!!! Got it all done in two minutes. BLESS YOU!!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.