how to install membership plugin overtop of the lite version?

when I try to upload the full/paid version of the membership plugin it fails as the directory already exists. I presume the failure is because 'membership lite' is already there using a directory called membership.

How exactly should I be installing this as when I tried deleting the folder, then uploading the full version, the plugin would not block paid content from anonymous members.

I have reverted to the 'lite' version for now and blocking paid content works again.

Any ideas?

• dbrucemoore
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I deleted the membership folder with LITE.

I uploaded the membership premium ZIP file from within the plugins admin area of wordpress.

it says it installed correctly. I activated it.

As before, "the plugin would not block paid content from anonymous members", while the LITE version worked just fine.

So is this a bug and not an installation problem?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello dbrucemoore,

It should work just fine being overwritten as such, though Membership Premium has a few added settings that I'm guessing might be affecting your setup.

That said, could you please verify the following?

Membership is "enabled" under Membership > Membership?
    Under Membership > Edit Options, the Stranger option is set to that of the membership level you've arranged so as not to be able to see premium content?
    Under Membership > Levels, you've activated the relevant membership levels?
    Under Membership > Levels, viewing the access rules for your membership level specified as the Stranger, do the rules show as you'd setup previously?

As a final note, you might be interested in the following beta version which provides a few nice feature additions:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-11-beta

Cheers,
    David

• dbrucemoore
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Membership is "enabled" under Membership > Membership? CONFIRMED

Under Membership > Edit Options, the Stranger option is set to that of the membership level you've arranged so as not to be able to see premium content? CONFIRMED - I have called the level "visitor"

Under Membership > Levels, you've activated the relevant membership levels? I HAVE ONLY THE 'VISITOR' LEVEL SET RIGHT NOW AND IT IS ACTIVE

Under Membership > Levels, viewing the access rules for your membership level specified as the Stranger, do the rules show as you'd setup previously? UNDER MEMBERSHIP > EDIT LEVELS > EDIT "VISITOR" I SEE THE ONLY CATEGORY ALLOWED UNDER POSITIVE RULES IS "FREE".

- using the light plugin the anonymous user would only see items in the 'free' category, but with the premium version the anonymous user can see items which are exclusively in the 'membership' category

See yourself by browsing to: http://vocalresources.com/?p=211

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Can you try deleting the membership directory and just uploading the newer version?

I uploaded the membership premium ZIP file from within the plugins admin area of wordpress.

Can you FTP the files please - the admin area isn't really recommended - i certainly don't trust it to install plugins on my site correctly.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

ok - through my webhost I deleted the membership folder, then using the webhost file manager utility (not wordpress) I uploaded the membership ZIP file, which it automatically extracted

Hi, Can you Unzip the file on your computer and FTP it up to the server? Having the host unzip it can introduce a whole host of file permissions errors.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi dbrucemoore,

Sounds like the plugin is definitely installed correctly at this point so my guess is there's a new option or two that must be accounted for. Just to verify one last thing though, the version you just installed, was it the following which I mentioned ealrlier?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-11-beta

Also, just to be a bit more thorough, could you post screenshots of the Edit Options page and the rules page for this premium level?

Thanks,
    David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Actually, it's a feature-incomplete beta meaning that it's simply been released before its intended feature updates have been completed, but it resolves a few issues as well and in general, it's been quite solid in all our tests. Would you mind giving that a go?

Also, many thanks for that slideshow for the screenshots. It very much helps us see what's going on.

• dbrucemoore
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

When I install the Beta the entire site crashes:

"The page isn't redirecting properly
    Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

and IE just sits there on a blank page.

but if I put back a non-beta the site comes back up

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hmm, you've got a lot going on in that site with javascripting. Firebug is giving the following error upon regular mouse clicks:

event is not defined
    [Break On This Error] if (event.button == "2" || event.button == "3"){pmb();}

With errors occurring there, it's more likely trouble will arise with Membership also. Just to verify though, the current release version works, as well as the Lite version, but not the 1.1b version?

Thanks,
    David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi dbrucemoore, I can't seem to replicate this behavior in any test sites with the latest version of Membership but in hopes of getting this matter resolved for you, I'll gladly take a look into your membership setup if you'd like to send us a user account. If so, you can simply send us the info marked attention to David via the contact form at the following:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

And if you wouldn't mind updating to the 1.1b version beforehand, that will definitely help get it resolved as quickly as possible.

Thanks,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.