How to Integrate Membership on sub sites?

I'm setting up a sub site. I'd like to know what I need to know about integrating Membership plugin with it. People will be signing up for Membership at our main site. But when I log into the Dashboard for the sub site, I see a prompt to install Membership on it. Will I be able to make it so that people who are members on the main site are automatically members of the sub site, and if so, how do I make sure of this?

• aristath

Hello there @jdsullivan411, I hope you're well today!

I'm setting up a sub site. I'd like to know what I need to know about integrating Membership plugin with it. People will be signing up for Membership at our main site. But when I log into the Dashboard for the sub site, I see a prompt to install Membership on it. Will I be able to make it so that people who are members on the main site are automatically members of the sub site, and if so, how do I make sure of this?

I'm afraid this will not be that easy.
    The Membership plugin does not work network-wide. It works on a per-site basis. So when network-activated, it basically allows you to build completely separate membership sites and there is no way to connect them and have them interact in any way.
    In order to do what you want to do, you'd have to do a lot of custom coding...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jdsullivan411

That's ok, I can make it so that the premium features are just on the main site.

I am curious though. On a sub site I am setting up, at http://greenactionnews.net/strivin2begreen/ it says the content is protected. How can this be, if the membership program supposedly doesn't work on this site. I don't have it installed on this sub site. It appears to be behaving this way because of the main site.

• aristath

On a sub site I am setting up, at http://greenactionnews.net/strivin2begreen/ it says the content is protected. How can this be, if the membership program supposedly doesn't work on this site. I don't have it installed on this sub site. It appears to be behaving this way because of the main site.

Is by any chance the Membership plugin network-activated?
    If it is, then please deactivate it from your network and only activate it on the main site.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jdsullivan411

The plugin is network-activated. There is NOTHING in the usage notes that would indicate that membership is not compatible for use on MU. In fact, under the possible uses in the usage notes it states:

Use Membership and MultiSite to run dozens of membership websites yourself… no need to worry about lots of different installations of WordPress.

If I network deactivate it, then doesn't that make it so I can't use it on any site - the main site as well as the subsites? Network Activation, in the past has meant I can't use it at all until it is activated. So this advice is making no sense.

I do not enjoy wasting my time, and disrupting the process for our end users as a result of WPMU plugins turning out to be something less or different than what the descriptions state or imply.

• aristath

Use Membership and MultiSite to run dozens of membership websites yourself… no need to worry about lots of different installations of WordPress.

It is exactly as it says above.
    If you network-activate the plugin, you will be able to run dozens of membership sites, because each site has its own membership settings!
    There is no need to worry about multiple installations of WordPress because since this is a multisite installation, all sites are part of a greater installation.

If I network deactivate it, then doesn't that make it so I can't use it on any site - the main site as well as the subsites? Network Activation, in the past has meant I can't use it at all until it is activated. So this advice is making no sense.

There are 2 ways to activate plugins on a multisite:
    1. Network-activating a plugin activates the plugin on ALL sites of your network, even sites that don't need it. This is why newtwork-activating a plugin hides it from the plugins list on specific sites of your network. This can be done from wp-admin/network/plugins.php
    2. activating a plugin on a specific site. This makes the plugin available only to the specific site. This can be done from wp-admin/plugins.php

If you network-disable the plugin, it will become available to individual sites for activation and you'll be able to activate it on your main site.

I hope that makes sense...

I do not enjoy wasting my time, and disrupting the process for our end users as a result of WPMU plugins turning out to be something less or different than what the descriptions state or imply.

It was never implied anywhere that the Membership plugin will allow you to run a single membership site if you network-activate it. In fact there it says quite the opposite, and there are dozens of threads in the forums that repeat exactly what I said before.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.