How to link to a Product Category in WooCommerce using Upfront

Hi WPMUDEV,

I am using the UF Issue theme and WooCommerce to build an online store.
I am having trouble trying to link images organised on my home page to particular product categories within my woocommerce store.

When the pop-up window shows up in Upfront to select a page to link to, none of my product categories are shown as options to link to.

Selecting 'Posts' or 'Products' also do not have the option of product categories listed to select and link to.

I am puzzled as to how to link to my Product Category pages?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you kindly in advance.
:slight_smile:

• Nithin

Hey Ana,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

There isn't any out of the box setting in Upfront to add product category. Selecting Post, or Page option will only link to all the Post Types in your website, I'm afraid there isn't any default option for Categories.

What you'll have to do is use the External Link option, and manually add the product category url, so that the images gets directed to the respective category when a visitor clicks the image.

I hope this helps. If you still have issues, please do enable support access, so that we could give a closer look. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Ana

Thanks Nithin,
    That clears things up and saves me from further trying to figure it out.

I've just done that and it's working fine.

I am building this on local host though, so when I upload the site live, I will obviously have to then update these links manually to reflect the new URL's.

This then got me thinking, if one were to have a site with many of these links spread throughout, is there an easier way to then update them when taking a site to a live server?

It seems a little cumbersome to have to go through again an update all the links like this....
    Any suggestions/tips?
    Thanks again

• Nithin

Hi Ana,

This then got me thinking, if one were to have a site with many of these links spread throughout, is there an easier way to then update them when taking a site to a live server?

I suppose you are using Upfront Editor, if yes, all the changes made via Upfront is saved in your database. So when you migrate from local to live server, these changes will still remain intact because it's saved in the database, and it shouldn't cause any issue.

On the other hand if you are using Upfront Builder, all the changes are saved inside the theme folder. So, copying the theme folder from one server to another, wouldn't delete/change the settings saved.

You might find the following thread helpful in understanding the difference between Upfront Editor, and Upfront Builder:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upfront-editor-versus-upfront-builder

For more info please check our docs:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/upfront-and-themes

I haven't noticed any such issues with changes being lost after migration. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Ana

Oh right, so what you are saying is that when using upfront editor (which I am), and manually adding the links for my scenario as per your advice in the first post, which is:
    localhost/mywebsite/index.php/product-category/category-xyz/

That when migrating this site to a live server, Upfront will change these links for me to reflect the live site URL's? (because its saved into the database?)

Will upfront pickup on localost links and change them to the live website url? I can't see how it would know since manually adding links as per your description is akin to "hard coding" them, no?....(sorry if that's a silly question!)

• Nithin

Hi Ana,

Sorry, I stand corrected here. Yes, you are right when it comes to such hardcoded URLs, I was thinking about Upfront migration as a whole. I'm afraid, you'll have to manually update such hardcoded URLs after migration. I'll check this with the developer to see whether we could have any quick workaround for this. If not, will bring this into the Upfront teams attention for considering an out of the box setting to link categories in future.

Thank you for asking this, have a nice weekend ahead. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.