How to link/separate tags in a category

Hi
We have categories set up in this fashion.
Category:
1a
1b
1c

2a
2b
2c
These are NOT parent and child

We have about 15 tags we use to separate various entry types.
t1
t2
t3
t4

we would like to put links on a page that would only link to a tag in 1 category at a time.
Possible?
ty

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey @And.Hello

Thanks for posting on the forums.

The permalinks to a category or tag are unique and there is no out of the box way we can link to a tag specific to a category

However this is possible with some custom code.

You can read the articles here : http://www.wprecipes.com/get-tags-specific-to-a-particular-category-on-your-wordpress-blog & http://wordpress.org/support/topic/get-tags-specific-to-category (this is an old one ) but should give a right direction.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

hi PC i am not sure what YW means, but that thread was for separating tags to one category.

We want to have the same tags for every category, but be able to separate them into particular categories. i will try and explain a little better.

Category one is New York City. category 2 is Orlando Florida.
    The tags would be shoe store and pet store.

What we want is a link that would only show shoes in New York and not the Pet Store, and not have Orlando come up in the tag search.

Does that make any since? I am following a tutorial on using slugs, but i do not get the desired results.

ty PC, ooh Mark is back, but spending time with the family before he jumps back into work Monday! He already got himself hurt playing football :disappointed: lol

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hi PC i am not sure what YW means, but that thread was for separating tags to one category.

Ohh, sorry for the shortcode for "You are welcome :slight_smile:"

ty PC, ooh Mark is back, but spending time with the family before he jumps back into work Monday! He already got himself hurt playing football :disappointed: lol

Yeah, I saw that on facebook, looks like he is enjoying it more after the hurt foot :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Does that make any since? I am following a tutorial on using slugs, but i do not get the desired results.

Categories and tags are a bit different. Categories have a permalink but tags do not.

It will just need to be custom coded so as to achieve the desired effect.

If you want, the best way to achieve that is via category link rather than a tag link.

Cheers, PC

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

lol guess i should have got YW.

Yeah, I saw that on facebook, looks like he is enjoying it more after the hurt foot :stuck_out_tongue: lol

It was his thumb that got the nail tore up, but he is bruised all over his body, and yes the fasted way to make Mark laugh is physically hurt him lol. If he seems a little down i kick him in the shin and he instantly smiles. lol

If you want, the best way to achieve that is via category link rather than a tag link.

We will do some more reading on this tomorrow, and figure it all out!
    ty PC! :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.