How to Make a Facebook App

**We lost some data on this thread, so I created a new one here**

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-make-a-facebook-app-for-your-site

To create a Facebook App, please be sure to log into Facebook.com
This *should* automatically log you into the developer portal. You will have to provide your password and set permissions.

Step 1: Visit https://developers.facebook.com click on Apps and you will see the option to "Create New App" click it

Step 2: Name your App. Doesn't matter what you name it, Facebook will give you a "Valid" or "Failed" notice next to the box after finish typing it.

Step 3: Complete the App. See the pictures below. These are the only fields you need to complete.

Then, simply transfer your API information to whichever Plugin you are using and check that it all connects.

Please Note: You should only have to do this ONCE per site. You will not need to re-create or re-use this API information on any other plugins. All WMPU DEV plugins come with a built in checkbox where you can specify that you are using the Facebook API already via another plugin. Calling the API multiple times on the same site can create problems.

James Dunn

Goodday @Kiimberly.

In the first step, when you log in to Facebook, it will ONLY log you into the developers section if you've already established yourself as a developer. If you have not done so already, then you will have to go through their developer authentication process (sounds serious doesn't it). Actually, you just have to either supply Facebook with a credit card or attach a cell phone number to your account (I think a cell phone number is still sufficient). Then, you go through a very simple (and quick) verification process (I think it either texts you or an automated system calls you) and you get a code to enter to verify everything.

I'm still not sure why you have to jump through those hoops, but it's their sandbox, so they get to make all the rules.

Other than that, this is outstanding. Glad you took time to update this. I've been so covered up lately I've not had time to do it. The screenshots take me the longest.

Take care.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

Kimberly

@JamesDunn I don't know that I ever had to provide anything to log into the developer portal, perhaps a cell phone, but it's been so long I cannot remember. Thanks for the heads up on that!

I don't mind the screenshots at all, I love my Snagit tool

@jafar amin I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here...perhaps you could start a support ticket with a few more details and the plugins you are looking to use and we can help you there? This is only meant to be a basic intro to using the Facebook APP with our plugins

James Dunn

Goodday @Kimberly.

Like you, either I don't remember having to do any of these items OR I actually didn't have to do them. I think when they started (yeah, I go back to almost the beginnings of developers on FB too), you didn't have to provide anything - just sign up. I helped a friend get started a few weeks back and he would not provide either his cell phone or his credit card info because he thought it was a bad idea. Once I convinced him that he had to do it to get started, he submitted one of them and had a developer account.

Take care.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

Mark Wallace

Is anyone else having problems with registering as a developer to create a fb app? They first wnated my cell phone # and i gave it to them, then they wanted a copy of a goverment issue photo ID. When i didnt submit a photo ID they suspended my friend request, messages, and ability to edit my profile.

No one I talk to has this problem with fb! Anyone else???

Mark Wallace

No!

I am waiting for the 30 day block/band to end. It will be about 2 more weeks. It seems like they are always trying to get a lot of personal information out of me. Like requiring capatchia for everything i do, and telling me if i gave them my cell number it would end, now that they have my cell they keep asking for a copy of my photo ID. So to try and outsmart them i deleted all my cookies and history in all three places i now how too, and changed both my windows IP and broadband IP address! Then signed up for a new fb account, and all my friends from my other account showed up asking if i wanted to add them. My anti_virus is not detecting any Malware so i do not see how this is possible.

They are starting to concern me a little!

rhys_michael_stansfield

Hi, sorry to bump this thread but wanted to check something:

I'm using events + on one of my sites which I created a FB app for no problems and all seems to be working fine, I'm setting up ultimate facebook on the same site though and it wants API keys etc.

However as you mention in your original post on this thread, there should be a check box to say that I've already got an app set up rather than trying to get it to load the API multiple times from different plugins. I'm probably being astonishingly stupid but I can't seem to see that check box in the Facebook API settings for Ultimate Facebook.

Am I being stupid and missing something obvious? Or is it alright to carry on and fill the API out again? Or should I set up a seperate app to handle ultimate facebook?

Cheers for any light you can shed.

in-mn

Hey - when you use this, and set up ultimate facebook, there is a bug in the way the permissions work that will mess you up if you try to use an unauthenticated user to post changes.

Example, I set this up for a Domain.com on my network; and then the admin of domain.com granted permissions; but did it through the page account (unverified). Publishing becomes inconsistent.

However, anyone granting permissions with a real/verified account works (old accounts usually aren't "verified" but they work fine)

ryun_hovind

Are people using Ultimate Facebook for their companies? I have a business Facebook page and consequently when I try to create an app I am unable to do so. According this link
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10805745/creating-and-managing-a-facebook-app-from-a-business-account
    you CAN NOT manage an app with a business Facebook account, but you kind of can too. It's confusing. I'm hoping someone here can clear up whether I can use Ultimate Facebook and Comments + with my business Facebook page.

I don't mind using my personal account to get Ultimate Facebook working, but I assume that doing so would make U.F. connect to my personal Facebook page instead of the business page I want it to connect with.

Thanks for any tips.

Ryun

James Dunn

Goodday @ryun_hovind

Welcome to WPMUDev and I'm glad you asked this question. In another forum I have answered this question (or a similar variation of it) at least once a day for several months, so let me see if I can answer it here.

The first part you ask

Are people using Ultimate Facebook for their companies?

Absolutely, I am using it for several of my clients. We use it when we post on their WordPress website and have it post to their business page.

Now, the second part requires some questions from me and some answers from you.

1) Is your Facebook Page set up as a business page on it's own and NOT connected to any personal profile?

Explanation: Typically, and always with my clients, the business page is setup under my personal profile (or theirs if they've already started one), and I'm and admin on their page. But, you can set up a Facebook Page WITHOUT linking it to a personal profile. When you do that, you are severely limiting what can be done with the Page.

You can't create apps. That's the biggest thing that you don't get to do. What that means is you cannot use Ultimate Facebook with your page and you also can't create custom tabs/pages for your page. Basically, you have a simple Facebook signpost on the platform, but can't do a whole lot with it. Facebook WANTS your page tied to your personal profile.

Just in case someone reads this and is unaware of the terminology:

Profile - refers to the "page" or "site" (as some people refer to it) for a real person on Facebook. My personal profile is where I connect with all my friends, tell everyone what I had for dinner, and brag on my wonderful wife and two great kids.

Page - refers to the "page" or "site" for a business, band, baseball team, public figure (I can also have a page if I want - people like Mari Smith have both a profile and a page), and many other reasons. Pages cannot have friends but used to have "fans" - now known as "Likes".

Marketing tip: if you spend a little time looking on Facebook and find a business using a profile for their page, then you can contact them to try to convert them to a business page and make a little money.

Let me know how your page is configured and I'll answer the rest of your questions.

Looking forward to hearing your response.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

gatsby

If it helps anyone, I think the most important thing to do to ensure immediate FB developer approval is to log in with your regular personal facebook profile, as James implied. I simply did that and had a new app running live off the Heroku server within minutes. Moreover, no further authentication was requested of me.

From my FB dev beginners perspective, it seems really hard to beat this method of using a hosted site to render via iframe within the FB platform, and then apply features from the Graph API as needed. Sound right?

Also, James, you say that you use your personal profile to create apps for clients - can one do so and have any app work to integrate with any client's business page?

Lastly, are there FB platform specific themes available in the marketplace, which would render ideally in the 760px width iframe area? It looks like default is 760px width with 20px left-right margins.

Thanks much!

James Dunn

Goodday @gatsby

Also, James, you say that you use your personal profile to create apps for clients - can one do so and have any app work to integrate with any client's business page?

Absolutely. Of course, if the client has already created a FB page for their business then they will have to make you an admin for the page (I always require that they give me the highest level of admin so I don't have to go back to them for anything). Once you have admin privileges then you can assign apps to it, and pretty much do anything that needs to be done to the page.

If you plan on using the Ultimate Facebook plugin from WPMUDev, then you will need to be an admin for the page as well.

Regardless, I always require that the client give me admin access to the page. It doesn't mean that I have access to their personal profile, so it should be no danger to them. If they're not trusting enough to give me access to their FB page, then I certainly don't want them as a client because they'll try to micro-manage me on everything else as well. I just don't need that drama.

From my FB dev beginners perspective, it seems really hard to beat this method of using a hosted site to render via iframe within the FB platform, and then apply features from the Graph API as needed. Sound right?

I host all my client's pages on my server/hosting - even the ones we built in PHP (not in WordPress). WHY? Because if something breaks I want to be able to handle it quickly and this way I have myself and Joe (@aecnu) that can handle most anything that comes along. If I use one of the apps that is on FB, then I'm at their mercy. The client is going to look to me and blame me if something goes awry, so I might as well earn that blame if something happens. But, it never has happened. PHP pages load very fast, too - much, much faster than a WordPress page, so if you have the opportunity, try to do your pages as straight PHP pages.

Lastly, are there FB platform specific themes available in the marketplace, which would render ideally in the 760px width iframe area? It looks like default is 760px width with 20px left-right margins.

If you are looking for a WordPress theme to do Facebook pages, I've got a developer friend that built a system on WordPress (before the existing 810px wide custom pages) and worked feverishly to modify it once the 810px wide system came about. It is phenomenal because you can manage multiple clients from ONE WordPress installation (and it's not a multi-site install). With the Enterprise level that he has you can also give client access to THEIR pages (and no one else's pages) so they can modify certain items on their custom pages. It's a SUPER POWERFUL system.

He has recently changed the name of the system because he's expanded it with a fantastically powerful video player integrated into it, so I'll hit him up for a link to share with you so you can check it out. I'm not sure what his new website is yet. Regardless, I've used several WP systems for building Facebook pages in the past, but this system is the absolute hands down best I've ever seen.

The real beauty of this is that you need only ONE Dedicated IP (for one domain) and ONE SSL Certificate (for that single domain). If you are using multiple WP installations, you will more than likely need multiple Dedicated IP addresses and multiple SSL Certificates.

FB's interface is really not very intuitive or helpful

@scosci78 - I'd have to say it's "counter-intuitive" and "unhelpful". But, once you've done it once (or maybe twice) it becomes second nature. But that first trip can be daunting. That's why a document like @Kimberly has created here or I created for the previous methods are sooooo helpful to accomplish the task.

I make notes of everything I do - but pity the one that ever tries to follow my notes. That's why it takes me a while to put something together when someone asks for help. I have to interpret my notes and verify that the process has not changed. WOW! I guess my notes as equally unhelpful and counter-intuitive.

Hope everyone has a productive week this week.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

gatsby

@JamesDunn

James, thank you so much for your helpful reply. Though, I was indeed planning on developing the Facebook app pages in pure PHP & JavaScript, I would love to see your friend's product, so please do.

I'd sincerely appreciate elaboration on a couple more aspects, if you're inclined:

1. Would the WPMU Facebook plugin help with development of apps exclusively within the Facebook platform? It's my understanding that such plugins are useful only in the context stand-alone websites, communicating with Facebook.

2. How exactly does one assign a Facebook app to be part of a client's profile page, if the developer is developing such apps with their own personal profile? You mention needing full admin access to client pages, yet I'm not sure how that applies to development, since it's my understanding that developers need to develop their apps from their personal profile. I must be missing something. For example, the app that I created yesterday shows up as an app in my profile by default.

Thanks much!

James Dunn

Goodday @gatsby.

The timing of this conversation is perfect. I'm creating an app for a client's page this week - probably Wednesday - so I'll document all my steps and write it up. I think once I do that it will all make sense.

2. How exactly does one assign a Facebook app to be part of a client's profile page, if the developer is developing such apps with their own personal profile? You mention needing full admin access to client pages, yet I'm not sure how that applies to development, since it's my understanding that developers need to develop their apps from their personal profile. I must be missing something. For example, the app that I created yesterday shows up as an app in my profile by default.

But, the short answer is that yes, you create the app and it's attached to your profile. Then, once you are an admin of a page (your own or a clients), you can use that app on their page. You still own the app and control the app - they don't have to be an admin of the app.

The bottom line of that is that if they are paying you monthly to "license the app" (that's the term I use with all my clients), then when they quit paying, their license expires and their app no longer works. How does that happen? Just destroy the app and it no longer works on their page. "Their license expired for non-payment."

When/If they pay again, just recreate the app quickly (maybe even charge them an extra fee like the water department or the phone company do to turn your utilities back on) and make a little money for that as well.

1. Would the WPMU Facebook plugin help with development of apps exclusively within the Facebook platform? It's my understanding that such plugins are useful only in the context stand-alone websites, communicating with Facebook.

Not sure if I fully understand this question, so rather than ramble on about something that has nothing to do with your question, I would ask for a little more clarification here. The Facebook plugin works well with stand-alone websites. The system I'm talking about can manage custom pages in the Facebook platform. I'll grab a couple of links for you when I post back so you can see what I'm talking about. I don't want to be insulting, so I don't want to try to answer a question you've not asked.

Talk soon.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

gatsby

@JamesDunn

Well your insights absolutely could not have come at a better time for me either, James. Thank you again for your kind and helpful assistance. I am truly looking forward to your steps write-up!

Regarding the clarification desired, what I clumsily tried to distinguish is the difference between a stand alone website (ie. http://whatever.com) communicating with the FB platform vs. an app (ie. https://apps.facebook.com/myapp) functioning as a page within FB. It's my understanding that plugins would only be useful in context of the former, for stand alone websites. Correct?

Moreover, I believe I am clear on how your friend's theme would be helpful, in the latter instance of an actual app within the Facebook platform only. Also correct?

One other detail. And, sorry if this is premature and might come in your later steps write-up, if so, just please just disregard it until then:

Then, once you are an admin of a page (your own or a clients), you can use that app on their page.

How does one go about doing so?

Thanks again, James!

gatsby

@JamesDunn

Hi, James! I'm really looking forward to your steps post. An existing client has pressured me to meet with them on Monday to discuss developing a Facebook app - my first ever FB app job, and to be candid, I'm concerned about being fully able to proceed effectively. Receiving your insights before that meeting would be a god-send. You've been extremely gracious with your past posts, and I sincerely appreciate this.

James Dunn

Goodday @gatsby.

I've been "offline" literally - my high speed Xfinity service that we had installed last weekend began acting up Wednesday - down more than up. I couldn't even upload a photo to the server, so I was basically offline. And to beat it all, I couldn't keep Netflix going because of the internet. I went to a friend's home Thursday at lunch and stayed til Friday at lunch just to get something done.

Bottom line, I've lost about two or three days this week, so I'm running behind a bit.

Feel free to email me at james at jamesddunn dot com with any quesitons/comments and I'll try to answer as quickly as I can. Also, if you want to hit me on Skype, I think my username is jamesdunn - but it may be jamesddunn. I'm no expert by any means, but I'd be happy to help where I can.

Give me a shout. Regardless, if you have to "fake it" on Monday and I'll try to help you after the fact. Gotta run for now. My wife is wanting me to help her with some things for our daughter's wedding in a few weeks.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

gatsby

@jamesdunn

You are too kind, James. And, I understand your situation completely. It's funny, because just days before receiving your first helpful insights in this thread, I purchased the ONLY two decent Facebook dev books on the market - 2010 and 2011 publications, which are both somewhat convolutedly presented, so there are precious few book resources in the marketplace. And, most have experienced first-hand how hieroglyphic the Facebook developers pages are.

So, I've done what research I could so far and just knew that a presentation by you would really wrap things up brilliantly. I have a long way to go, and will indeed have to fake it on Monday, as I'm sure most of us developers have had to do at one time or another.

Thanks very much.

James Dunn

Goodday @william_bronson

"what is a facebook app"?

Sounds serious doesn't it? When I think of an app, I think of a lot of coding. But, in the Facebook arena, when we're talking about iFraming in a .PHP file or a WP page, a Facebook App is nothing more than filling in the proper information in the proper places on a few screens so that the "app" knows what data to pull from where and how to display it as well as where to display it. It's nothing really complex.

Now, you can build full applications that do some really neat things, but for the most part, most people will not need to do that if all they're wanting to do is display a custom tab/page on a Facebook page.

Does that help any?

faruk_kasum

hi there guys! I have everything up and going now i want to import my Business Page events to my website. This simply won't work. I'm using the widget to do this and when i leave the field "Show events for" open, so it uses my personal page, it does work. So it made me think that it's not possible loading events from a business page, which is the reason i bought the plugin.. Can anybody help me out? The plugin works great regarding the rest of the functions! I love the work they did making it so clear and easy to use!

Regards,

Faruk

aecnu

Greetings Faruk,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention, however you should have created a regular ticket for yourself instead of adding to a "How to" ticket unless there was something wrong with the "How to" itself.

We cannot work this properly on a how to including calling in the lead developer.

Please create a ticket and feel free to copy and paste any relevant information form this ticket into the new ticket and we will be right on it.

Looking forward to seeing you in your own ticket.

Sincerely, Joe

James Dunn

Goodday @j2001rad and @km2830.

I'll try to answer as many of the questions as I can and then I'll see what it takes to update this. Kimberly may already be working on it so I'll not intrude on her if she is. I thought some things had changed over the past few months though. That's the problem with Facebook (and the good side as well) - things are always changing - some for good, some not.

O.K. first off, I've heard this concern before that people don't want a page associated with their personal profile. First, let me define a couple of terms and then I'll explain.

Profile (a.k.a. Personal Profile) - this is your personal page where you can post almost anything that you want (as long as it doesn't violate FaceBook's TOS).

Page - this is the page that looks similar to your personal profile but is for the business side of you, your business, your band, your little league, etc. This is public, there's nothing you can do to prevent people from seeing EVERYTHING that you put on it - except "Like Gate" things in a custom app.

Group - this is similar to a page, but you can make it private, secret, and a couple of other designations I think.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk about "Pages".

You can set up a page without a person's Profile associated with it; however, I NEVER recommend that someone do it that way. Why? Because it's so limited. You can't have custom applications for pages without a profile associated with them, and there's a ton of other things that CANNOT be done on a page that doesn't have a profile associated with it.

ALL of my client's pages are set up associated with my profile and it's never been a problem. You can't visit one of my client's pages and determine that it's associated with me in any way. I'm just the admin on the page (along with my wife). You should always have at least TWO people that are admins - preferable two people that you have access to. You can then give the business owner privileges lower than an admin and maybe even people in their office lower privileges. Any Admin can remove any other Admin, so only make very trusted people Admins of a Facebook page. Generally, I have the admin privileges and I don't even give them to the business owner unless they ask and then they better give me a doggone good reason.

I was explaining WHY you have to have a profile associated with a page to get the full privileges of the page just this morning. Wonder why? It's because Facebook needs someone real that they can put the noose around their neck if they do something that violates the TOS. If your profile is as valuable to you as mine is to me, then you will operate any pages within the TOS. If it's not tied to your profile, then you may not care and you'll just do whatever it takes to get people to sing up, buy, or whatever.

As for creating an App, I have the new FB Graph search (and have had it for many weeks), so my instructions may be a bit different from what you will have to do. But, for me, I just click on the little gear icon on the right hand side at the top. From the drop down menu, I choose "Create An App", but you can also visit http://developers.facebook.com and you should be able to proceed from there.

You will still have to go through the verification process if you've never created an app before, so be prepared to do that as well. Once you've done all that, if you run into any other issues, please post back here and we'll see what it takes to get you sorted.

BTW, @j2001rad, I'm curious what your specific hangups are with having pages associated with your profile? I've heard a ton of reasons ranging from "I don't want anyone to know that this is my page" to "This is my client's page and I don't see a need for it to be associated with my profile" and a dozen more all over the board. I'd love some insight into why you don't want it associated with your profile. Look forward to you posting back.

Let us know what you discover here and we'll work to get it sorted.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

j2001rad

Hi James,

Thanks for the info.

One would assume that when you go here - http://www.facebook.com/pages/create/
    This is where you would create a page for a business or project. That's why I did it.

Why do I want them separate? I'm not a FB expert and really don't care for all the gossip and if one of my friends has a headache or not. I figured if I created a business page under my personal account, my postings would be spamming my wall and my friends walls. I like to stay organized and keep my business apart from my personal.

I understand what you said and if set up correctly, they will stay separate. Why does FB offer the business pages area then??

Anyhow, I have multiple projects and businesses so I guess I need to go in and delete the business page I created and create a page under my personal account.
    So you are saying the postings in these accounts will not appear on my personal wall and will not flood my friends?

Thanks

James Dunn

Goodday @j2001rad

So you are saying the postings in these accounts will not appear on my personal wall and will not flood my friends?

They can if you want, but you really have to work to make that happen. By default anything you post on a page will only go that page and about 10% of the people who have "Liked" that page (used to be more, but after FB went public this is one way they're trying to extract money from businesses. Think "promoted post" and "advertising". But, pages are completely separate from your personal profile and you don't ever have to visit your profile to work on your pages.

Why does FB offer the business pages area then??

Not exactly sure, except in response to some of their users requesting it. Their desire is that you really NOT create a page separate from a profile and that's why they've made them so limited. When you look at what you can do when a page attached to your profile, then there's really never a reason to create one apart from it.

Anyhow, I have multiple projects and businesses so I guess I need to go in and delete the business page I created and create a page under my personal account.

It depends. How many "Likes" do you have on these pages? If you have a pretty good following, I would NOT delete them. Plus, do you have your business page vanity name? If you already have your vanity name, DO NOT DELETE your page - you will not be able to reclaim that vanity name as Facebook keeps those on file for an indefinite period of time.

I'd suggest that you visit this page - http://www.marismith.com/how-contact-facebook-directory-of-forms/ - and see if there's a form that will help you request that Facebook assign a page that is not associated with a profile to your profile. You can also see if you can simply add an admin (being you or maybe your spouse or partner) to the page and that may actually bring it over.

Also, if you are not familiar with Mari Smith, she's a Facebook Goddess and someone you'll want to get to know. I've learned a ton from her and she's a wonderful resource of information. You can visit this page to gain great understanding about all things Facebook - http://www.marismith.com/resources/

Regardless, I would not delete my page unless I absolutely had to. I would exhaust every other means possible and deleting it and starting over would my absolutely last ditch effort.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

Sara

Thanks for the response, James. I should have specified in my earlier post: the screenshot I attached where Facebook takes me if I click on "Apps" in the top blue bar (if I'm signed in as a developer), or if I click on "Create an App" under the gear icon (if I'm signed in as myself). I've seen screenshots of the exact same page, and the only difference is that mine doesn't have a button that says "Create an App."

James Dunn

Goodday @Tamy Blanding.

Sorry I wasn't around for a few days - working on some client stuff and can't seem to catch up. Anyway, I'm glad you got the app to set up properly. Not sure why you're not seeing the feed as I don't use it that way. The primary thing I use this for is so that clients can post to their website and it will post to their Facebook Page.

Maybe one of our resident gurus can help you out with this. I offer help when it's something that I think I know about, but this is one of those cases that I bow out of.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA