how to make forum plugin content viewable to people not logged in

directory - logged in users
support - logged in users with admin rights
forums - logged in users

Real world application = 0

and I would also like to point out a further irony ... the chat plugin for the longest time did not allow private chat only group chat...

it seems none of these plugins utilize the approach used by wpmu on this site... surely that rings an alarm bell for the developer when brain storming??

Or is it a case of just outsource it and see what comes back?

PC

Hello there webcontrol,

Thanks for posting on the forums. I hope things are fine at your end of the world.

A user can see the forum without log in but they must be a registered and logged in user to post on the forums created via this plugin.

Here is an example I have just setup : http://wpdemo.in/forums/testing-forum/

So we can allow the users to view the content but in order to post, it needs a user to be logged in.

Do you want to change this behavior ? If yes, I can discuss it with our developers and see what can be done regarding the same.

Cheers, PC

webcontrol

hi... thanks for testing that - you are right - when I installed it originally the message I got when visiting the forum page was you must be logged in... but now it does display the forum when logged out so not sure what happened the first time around. It was late so maybe I was hoping the public could post to the forum at the time.... any way... too much coffee perhaps.

I have a couple of questions... I have numbered the questions and would appreciate it if you number your answers to make sure we cover each of them (thank you)

1) There are no extra features that I can see... does the system have anything such as "slow down you're posting too fast" "hold in cue until moderated" ... anything...

2) Also can the forum be search indexed... I think not because it uses a shortcode and google cant read shortcode content?

3) Is it possible to hardcode the forum into a page so that it can be indexed?

4) Could you supply me with some css to hide the dates when things are posted? Perhaps in the future having the ability to turn on and off dates would be useful.

5) Is there a way to make forum posting only available to specific roles? For example if it requires a capability to post to forum what is it?

Thanks!

PC

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay here.

when I installed it originally the message I got when visiting the forum page was you must be logged in... but now it does display the forum when logged out so not sure what happened the first time around. It was late so maybe I was hoping the public could post to the forum at the time.... any way... too much coffee perhaps.

May be you did not create a forum by then. Glad it works as it should now

1) There are no extra features that I can see... does the system have anything such as "slow down you're posting too fast" "hold in cue until moderated" ... anything...

This is different from BuddyPress forums so nothing like that integrated but comments and capabilities can be restricted using a user role editor plugin I reckon.

Fast comments can be controlled too, let me quickly ask @Patrick Cohen as I am not able to find a plugin for that. Perhaps I am out of search terms

2) Also can the forum be search indexed... I think not because it uses a shortcode and google cant read shortcode content?

That is a very valid question. I tried but could not get the results show up on my custom google search plugin so it seems its not indexing. Let me consult with @Maniu on this one. I just hope Google does not limit us here.

3) Is it possible to hardcode the forum into a page so that it can be indexed?

I should be possible to hardcode the forum in a page but that will need some custom coding. Lets see what Maniu comes up with before we go that way !

4) Could you supply me with some css to hide the dates when things are posted? Perhaps in the future having the ability to turn on and off dates would be useful.

div.forum-post-meta {display: none} should hide that for now.

I also think having a better control in future can do wonders. Will send this one as a feature request.

5) Is there a way to make forum posting only available to specific roles? For example if it requires a capability to post to forum what is it?

It should be possible however I doubt its using the default posting capabilities. So we can edit the user roles and edit the commenting capabilities. Let me quickly check with @Maniu to see if the plugin has its own capabilities defined as I do not see any.

Cheers, PC