how to make moderator in Chat?

Hello,

Am stuck with this feature which is how to set a user as moderator in Chat? can anyone help me with this please !

Regards,

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there @TechnoKeek

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

You can ban user with email address. Please go to: Chat > Settings Common and then Block IP/User tab. At the bottom you will get option to provide block user's email address. See screenshot.

Then that user won't be able to use the chat feature. He will see a blocked message.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more question.

Cheers
    Ash

• TechnoKeek
    • New Recruit

Thank you dear @Ashok

I went through that steps actually but, I though there is such way to ban it via a tool option from the chat box as well. Would you guys do it later ?

And please my first question was how set a normal use as moderator what is exactly the steps?

Regards,

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi @TechnoKeek

Thanks - I am now getting the point. You can't set an user as moderator. But you can set a role as moderator. All users under that role will be moderator.

Also you can create new role using User Role Editor plugin (http://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/) and assign the new role as moderator.

To set a role as moderator: Go to Chat > Settings page and at the bottom you will see "Automatically includes Admin and SuperAdmin users" select role(s) whose you want to set as moderator.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
    Ash

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Ashok,

Excellent replies. I just want to add a few clarifying points to your input for the member.

@TechnoKeek,

As Ash pointed out. Via the Chat settings you assign a WordPress user roles as being a moderator. He pointed you to Chat > Settings Page. But actually there are three settings options. If you via the Chat menu you will see

Chat > Settings Page - This controls the in-Page shortcode chats
    Chat > Settings Site - This controls the bottom corner chat
    Chat > Settings Widget - This controls the widgets used.

So you can set different moderator roles for each. Also for the Settings Page options, this is the global settings. But on the specific page you can override these settings. So in effect you can have different configurations on each page.

As for the moderator option to block email address on the chat front-end. this is coming. I'm trying not to clutter the chat screen with too much. Normally you will only need to block an IP address. But I agree this would provide some good functionality for chat. We also want to add a mute option for moderators so they can mute someone from posting message but still lets them view the chat messages.

• TechnoKeek
    • New Recruit

Thank you so much @Ashok

It really helped me to set up permissions :slight_smile:
    but, only one thing is it possible to make ppl from lower level can not see IPs of higher level? if that possible plz lead me to it.

another thing related the appearance I will attach a screenshot in order to clarify what I wanna say regarding the chat frame coz it is not aligned well! so what should I do? I've tried different dimensions and still no solution.

Thank you in advance dear,

• TechnoKeek
    • New Recruit

Dear @Paul

I would like to thank u for the detail explained and got the whole points of assigning permissions and that is really more reliable in terms of having more than one chat for each purpose.

I suggest if we can control users registered via email and list their email addresses in such a way on WP so we can control the email ban in an advance way as well as IP coz as u know there are many ppl could fake their IPs and come back again so the email way at least can get them tired of remaking extra non-useful email registration!

For the mute option which can freeze the user except reading that is realy cool first to keep the traffic as much as possible. second, is to give the user a lesson so he can follow the rules that have been put from the admin .... I hope we can put our hands on this asap :slight_smile:

Regards,

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@TechnoKeek,

You have some CSS as part of your theme which appears to be effecting the chat layout. The style.css line 1301 shows the following.

#content ul, .content_full_width ul {
        margin: 0 0 20px 15px;
    }

You can probably add the additional CSS to your style.css

.wpmudev-chat-box ul {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    }

I'll include that as part of the next update for Chat this weekend.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@TechnoKeek,

I suggest if we can control users registered via email and list their email addresses in such a way on WP so we can control the email ban in an advance way as well as IP coz as u know there are many ppl could fake their IPs and come back again so the email way at least can get them tired of remaking extra non-useful email registration!

Well, yes and no. The public name/email form is shown only for public users. This is not a WordPress user login form as we are not asking for a Password. If you want better control over who can access chat just make it so only WordPress user can access then force users to a registration page before showing chat.

Like you mentioned users can fake IP addresses. And as well users can fake entering an email address. Have a verify of the entered email address would be more work that is needed. The capture of the email address is really so we can show the user's avatar. Many other members are after a solution to not require even the public name/email. They want the anonymous user auto-generated like guest-1, guest-2 so they can immediately start posting chat message. to me this seems dangerous. But we do what the member want.

Also, the IP address, Delete, etc show on the chat message rows are only shown to moderators. Public, Facebook, Twitter, etc user are not shown these moderator options. And only WordPress user roles are allowed to be moderators.

• TechnoKeek
    • New Recruit

Dear @Paul

for the code u provided it works well but there is something wrong happened to the site chat and it cannt appears anymore in the webpage except when am on my dashboard, I think that code affects it!

Hint:
    Display Bottom Corner Chat on Front: Enabled.
    Display Bottom Corner Chat on Front: Enabled.

What is ur suggestion in this plz and sorry to keep disturbing dear.

Thanks,

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@TechnoKeek,

for the code u provided it works well but there is something wrong happened to the site chat and it cannt appears anymore in the webpage except when am on my dashboard, I think that code affects it!

Well the code I provided was to be applied to your theme which is only used on the front-end of your site. Not within wp-admin (Dashboard).

Please provide a screenshot of the Chat > Settings Site > Bottom Corner tab settings.

• TechnoKeek
    • New Recruit

@Paul

Actually in my theme I have a box for custom CSS and when I put the code there is really worked well.

The issue am having now is that the site chat is appearing instantly whenever I go to any page and that's what am looking forward except only the homepage If no site chat initiated then there is no bar at all ... ONLY the homepage issue.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@TechnoKeek,

The issue am having now is that the site chat is appearing instantly whenever I go to any page and that's what am looking forward except only the homepage If no site chat initiated then there is no bar at all ... ONLY the homepage issue.

Sorry, I'm really not sure I follow what you wrote. The site chat (Bottom Corner Chat) is supposed to show immediately when the page loads. Is this something I can see on your site without a login?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@TechnoKeek,

After I posted my last reply I viewed your site. On the home page I see the in-page chat. When I go to some interior page like Contact Us or Games I see the bottom corner chat.

Are you asking how to get the bottom corner chat to show on the home page as well?

• TechnoKeek
    • New Recruit

Hello @Paul

Your exactly right sire, so thankful of you :slight_smile:

Last thing and am really sorry to keep asking but, that is the good thing that u have a membership still going on with WPMU.

The maximize and minimize sign look drops down a bit whenever I minimize it and do refresh or move to another page so it appears like this.
    If this is normal then just tell me please and ignore it, if this is not then I think your gonna help me again :disappointed: sorry.

Big thanks and Regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.