How to manage hosting for my wordpress sites?

Hi.

I have a web hosting account with Hostgator.in For the last two years, in my attempts to learn and know WordPress, I have done numerous things there... installing WordPress on addon domains, subdomains etc is one. Now my hosting account looks like a junkyard :slight_frown: with so many WordPress installations, unfinished sites, tons of files that we have no use of and I am not sure how many databases are there (and why they are there!)?
I once tried to clean it up a bit but managed to delete some file that was necessary for hosting features to function... incurring additional cost to get full backup of the hosting account and had all those files back in place :slight_frown:

So... I need HELP.
Please guide me through the process of cleaning the hosting account. What we want there is just three sites and files, databases related to just those three sites. I am quite hopeful from what I have heard about you people.

Regards
Raj

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Raj,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

We will clean the unuseful WordPress sites from your web hosting account in the following steps.

1) Find the unuseful WordPress site URL and the path of the WordPress directory that it is using.

2) In the found WordPress directory you will find wp-config.php file, just open it and find the Database Name used by this WordPress install in it. You will get it in the code similar to the following.

/** The name of the database for WordPress */
    define( 'DB_NAME', 'database_name_here' );

3) Write the site domain name, its WordPress installation directory and its found database name some where like in text editor.

4) Do the above steps for all unuseful WordPress sites. After finishing it do the above same things for the sites you want to use.

After this compare all the databases & the WordPress installation directory of unuseful sites and the sites that you want to use, underline the entry that you find similar like similar database, WordPress installation directory

5) Apart from the above underlined entries delete the all other unuseful WordPress installation directory and databases using FTP or File manager and using PHPMyAdmin.

Note : Take the backup of all the databases and WordPress installation directory locally for safety purpose.

After doing this test the working WordPress sites fully to confirm there isn't any regression issue.

Please advise if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• raj
    • Flash Drive

Hi Vinod.

Okay. I guess taking backup of the 3 sites that we need is where we should start from.

I tried that with - http://kaamkikhabar.com/
    Downloaded the full folder - kaamkikhabar.com from public_html using ftp and exported database - apprisan_wrdp10 as it was given in the wp_config file in the kaamkikhabar.com folder. Now to check that it is complete backup and I am not missing on anything I restored it on WAMP following steps from here - http://wpsites.net/wordpress-tips/how-to-restore-your-wordpress-website-backup-on-your-local-server-using-wamp/

Most of the things went as per the blog post in the link but in the options table I could find only siteurl and not the other two things he has asked to change. Now when I go to http://localhost/kaamkikhabar.com I get this - attached screenshot (3)

So .. was the backup successful? why is the page not found (404 error)? basically - how to make sure that the backup I have taken is complete in all sense?

Regards
    Raj

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Your problem is right there in the error message.

The site can't find SuperCache files. Deactivate the SuperCache plugin for the time being and it should clear up.

Also, stop using the one-click install through Hostgator, it installs a REALLY insecure version of WordPress. When WP is installed, it boots into development mode. You have to harden it yourself. Using a one-click installer compounds the problem by making the DB name, prefix, and superadmin predictable values.

• raj
    • Flash Drive

Hi Imperative Ideas

Thanks for your response :slight_smile:

I too think that was the issue (it was quite obvious seeing the number of time it occurred in error reports). But the issue is on localhost, running through the wamp server, I can't access the admin section of this WP site! Attached screenshot (5)

I got to know about the issues with one clink install and other things that are of no use in my hosting, that's why I am looking to overhaul this hosting account I have. I got to make sure that I take complete backup of the 3 sites that we need to keep running and I am in the process of the same...
    Any idea how to make sure that the backups of flies and databases I have downloaded are complete in every sense? Restoring them on local host/wamp is giving these sort of issues and hence I am not confident about it...

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Several ways.

In your situation, I would move the site(s) to localhost, repair the whole thing locally right down to the debug.log, then import back into a server. Using WP Migrate DB (pro version makes it even easier), do the following.

1. Check your path on WAMP
    2. Check your target URL on WAMP
    3. Enter them in the export tool
    4. Export the .sql / .zip file
    5. Import to Local host
    6. Copy your WP-Content folder to localhost
    7. Install a fresh WordPress and point wp-config.php at the local DB

Now troubleshoot everything and simply reverse the process to go live.

• raj
    • Flash Drive

I am trying understand this...

You said "repair the whole thing locally right down to the debug.log" - we are not looking to repair anything (Is any repairing required here?)

Right now we are just moving two sites from web host to WAMP. I am not sure why that would need any repairing as both the sites - Kaamkikhabar.com and VIPtranslogistic.com are working as they should.
    Because of the errors I am not sure that the backups are complete!

PS. I tried looking for the debug.log but couldn't locate it. One reading a few posts here and there php_error.log seems to be alternate to that one and the logs in php_error.log are a bit too much for me :slight_frown: Attached is the file c:\wamp\logs\php_error.log

Also I deactivated the super cache on VIPtranslogistics by changing the user email id in database on server and then signing in to the admin and took the backup again. Putting that one in wamp gives this screen - attached screenshot (6)

• raj
    • Flash Drive

A bit Disappointed!

Hi Staff!

I am feeling disappointed investing in you specially because of your tall claims - "Receive all the help you need on your projects in real-time." "Submit your support question via our simple form and receive a response within minutes." "

Let us be your dedicated WordPress team
    " "support that'll blow your mind"

Am I asking too much here?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.