How to map to custom domain?

I am using the Domain Mapping plugin on my network, but I'm unsure as to how to map it to my custom domain. I have the custom domain registered with Google.

I'm using subdomains on my network and I'd like to just map it to my custom Google domain.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Matt,

Hope you're well?

I'm a little confusedby what you mean by mapping a domain to a custom domain.

Domain mapping will allow you to map for example

yourdomain.com to map to subsite1.maindomain.com So when users visit yourdomain.com they will see subsite1.maindomain.com

Maybe we just use different terminology.

All you need to do is point the A record for the domain you want to map to your multisite IP address.

It's also a requirement that your multisite be the primary domain on the server & you must have a dedicated IP address. When you enter your site IP address in your browser, you should see the multisite signup page. If you see a default server page, then domain mapping will not work with A records.

This is explained in the DM usage guide here.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

Hope this helps

• Matt
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I was told by WPEngine that I did not need a dedicated IP address to map custom domains. Is this true? Also, what if I have 1,000 sites on my network and my host changes the IP on me, for whatever reason?

So, would it make more sense to change the CNAME record instead of the A record?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi,

If you're using A records, you must have a dedicated IP, otherwise as you say, if the IPaddress get's changed, you would need to change the DNS for all your mapped domains to point to the new IP.

You can park the domains instead on your server and point them at your multisite documentRoot. But parking the domainswould mean you wouldn't be able to have the MX records if those domain owners want to use their domain emails.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.