How To: Multiple Prices One Event with Events+ Plugin

Hello everyone. Hope you are well.

I've seen a lot of people asking about having Events+ support multiple prices for the same event, but being unable to do it. They want to have a price for adults, then kids, seniors, etc. Same single event, but multiple prices for tickets.

This is, for whatever reason, not built into the plugin - BUT you can do it if you integrate Marketpress. Rather than tell people to just "use the Marketpress add-on" - I've made a video showing you how I do it, step by step.

VIEW THE VIDEO: http://youtu.be/W-y_h1RR4pg

It's not the cleanest solution in the world, and it does take a little extra work, but if you put in this little bit of effort... you'll be successful.

If you have any questions beyond this, drop'em below. I'll be back in the morning (eastern time zone USA).

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Charlie,

Thanks for posting on the forums and sharing the awesome video work with us.

I am sending some points your way and also going to share this with the team so that they have this handy.

I am sure a lot of our members are going to love this video.

Thanks again for taking time and sharing it with the community !

Cheers, PC

• Adam
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi @Charlie Pryor,

Just watched video and i am sure lots of members will be thanking you for taking the time and trouble for doing this and here is mine. Thank you :slight_smile:

What a great place to learn and pick up tips.

Kind Regards

Adam.

• 5HDigital
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Charlie - this is great - loving your solution. Quick question - it looks like each event needs it's own product... do you know of any way you can "re-use" products on different events? That would limit the number of products for recurring events that have slightly different descriptions, ie: After Hours on 3/16, After hours on 3/23. TIA!

WPMU... although this is super clever, it really shouldn't be necessary. It would be great if this was built right into Events+.... Just my 2 cents.

• Charlie Pryor
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi 5HDigital,

Unfortunately each event is linked to one product, and one product is only linked to one event. However, you can easily "copy" products from your dashboard. In your list of available products, if you hover over an item in the list you'll see a "copy" button at the end. This will create an exact replica of the product.

You'd then go in and change the bits and pieces about it that are different "like the date." - Furthermore, if you know that you'll be doing this sort of thing with events ahead of time, you'd be able to format the copy of your post (the body) so that the details of the product/event are not time-specific, therefore making it even easier to create fast replica products to link to the Events. Maybe like having a generic description that would apply to the event regardless of the day, and then having the product's name changed to reflect the date. In this way, technically... you'd be able to create all the products you'd need right from the main products list in your Dashboard. You wouldn't even need to go into individual products for editing.

- Charlie

• Rone
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Just wanted to chime in and first thank Charlie for taking the time to post a step-by-step guide on this work-around.

I also want to echo the sentiments of other forum members/posts that it would be super awesome to have this feature (multiple price options per event) built directly into Events+.

In my case, the process needs to be something that's somewhat simple, intuitive and manageable for non-technical users who don't want to pay me every time they need an event setup correctly and quickly. This workaround works obviously, but its a bit much for those of us who are setting up sites that we're aren't managing day-to-day post launch and need a system that's easy to explain and document for site owners who prefer to manage there own sites for the most part. Also the idea of duplicating content/events to achieve variable pricing per event makes me itch just a tad and it clutters and can cause confusion on the events listing page.

So here's hoping that this feature is on the roadmap (and not too many miles out) for an already outstanding plugin in Events+. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

PS - One other thing that would be very useful (at least to me) with this feature is a "Member Pricing" option for Events+. A price for an Event that would be available to members of the site and would require them to login to the site at some point prior to the payment step in order to obtain the member discount price option.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Rone

I hope you are well today!

I doubt that this feature will be built-in to Events+ as it is already available through the very simple integration with MarketPress.

If you are running our Membership plugin, you can something similar by offering a different price to members.

• Charlie Pryor
      • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Julius,

To my knowledge there is no way to do this with Events+, not even with the integration with Marketpress, unless you have some custom development time into it. The only way I can see you could pull this off (and it isn't really pulling it off), is to have two separate events with the same details, and the same title and everything - but have only one of them live at the beginning, and then activate the second one when you want to make that switch. To complete the switch, you could hide the old one, and then activate a redirect on that one to the new one for any links that are still out and about.

Of course... the more simple and obvious way to do it (should I have led with that one?) is to just log in and change the price of the event when it reaches that point. I don't see why that wouldn't just work...

That isn't a very good way to perform this function, I know, but it's the only thing I can think of with custom programming to do it. Just throwing out ideas really to spark some imagination until somebody with more knowledge than myself comes up with an answer for you.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.